In the final episode of the season, the calving barn burns to the ground and the colony is up in arms trying to figure out who started it. Wesley is afraid it might have had something to do with the crazy barn party he and his cousins had the night before. They can’t do anything to implicate themselves because something like this could keep them from getting baptized. For Lisa and Melvin, their dreams of marriage would be shattered and for Wesley, despite all of his education and knowledge, he still wouldn’t have a vote on the colony.

All Claudia can think about is going to college. When she receives a letter from a local college she now has to face the reality of leaving her family and the only way of life she has ever known. Bertha is very sad and scared for her daughter but loves her and wants to be supportive. Bertha even goes as far as visiting a college with Claudia to see the campus and talk about financial aid. Bertha is beside herself with fear for her daughter and Claudia is overwhelmed facing the most difficult decision of her life— Realizing her dream of college or staying with her family and the only life she has ever known.

Wesley is also contemplating the most important time in his life— baptism.  The more he thinks about it, the more he knows that he can’t go into baptism without telling Marvin the truth about the barn fire. Once Wesley tells Marvin that he is most likely the reason the fire started, Marvin lets him know that he has to tell Uncle John. Telling Uncle John could mean that Wesley won’t be allowed to get baptized which means he still won’t have a vote or a say on the colony.  Wesley is devastated and scared, but knows he did the right thing.

Will Wesley and the other kids be allowed to get baptized or will Uncle John punish them and refuse to allow it? Will Claudia actually be able to pack up and leave everyone she knows and everyone that loves her for a new future or will she change her mind and stay? With Wesley striving so hard to dedicate his life to the colony and with Claudia deciding that she wants more then the colony can give, things for the Hofers and King Colony will never be the same again.

_____

Tune in to the season finale of Meet the Hutterites: Barnburners, Tuesday, July 31st at 10P et/pt.

Comments

1. eman83
    Bangladesh
    July 31, 2012, 2:21 am

Wow!
    Its so nice post,every person can apply this method in his land..

2. jan
    July 31, 2012, 4:53 am

This show is so sick and disgusting. It makes me feel I’ll that people still act like this. No one who has any respect for women would put up with this show. I hope that the women involved In this one day escape the awful prison of oppression they live in

3. TheGer
    July 31, 2012, 10:53 pm

There is nothing disgusting about it. Their culture has been this way. for 130 years. They are not the only ones either. The Amish live similarly as well

4. Laura B
    utah
    July 31, 2012, 11:00 pm

I really enjoy the show and admire the colony and it’s members for being brave enough to share their world with everyone. I knew nothing about Hutterites, but now I know more. I respect their culture and applaud their courage. Thank you all for sharing with us. I hope to see more of the show.

5. Bern
    AZ
    July 31, 2012, 11:17 pm

I have watched every single episode and fine it so fastinating, sad, and so human. I was a nun for 19 years and have left. I understand the power and passion of community, as well as the stuggle with living life fully and joyfully.the need of feeling fullfilled is a basic human need and should not be taken lightly. Experiencing those who want to be Baptized and fully belong to claudia who is seeking more in life helps us all to see what it means to be a Hutterite and still be human. I hope more will come, it feels like watching a close family that I want to know and love. thank you for airing it and for the colony to be a part of something special.

6. r.messina
    ca.
    August 1, 2012, 12:28 am

i grew up in lancaster co. pa., and im stil amazed by the amish , even thou i saw them every day ,, this shw is great,,, looking forward to it next season,,, and they are no why like the amish ,, i think the amish are stricker

7. Donna
    New Orleans
    August 1, 2012, 1:31 am

The fact that NCG left us hanging on Claudia’s decision to leave the colony for an education leads me to believe that there will be more episodes in the future…YAY!
    Clinton is the man! and here’s why, offering to be the fall-guy for Wesley’s sake makes him a good friend and good friends are rare, even though they were both to blame for the fire. Young people make mistakes, and responsibilty is learned by fixing that mistake. Says a lot about Clinton and Wesley that they did the right thing. Yikes!, the Money Boss, even though he’s a big-hearted guy underneath that stern and strict exterior, sure can put the fear of God in you!
    And that little Bradley is a show-stealer, I’m with you Bradley, I want to party too! I think Bradley should get his own show! Such a big personality for a little kid!
    There was also a big round of applause at my house for Cousin Lisa. We couldn’t be more happy to hear that she has finallly bagged her Prince Charming Melvin! He’s a good catch, Lisa! Congratulations!
    Thanks so much Nat Geo for such a fun show, and to the Hutterites, sehr gut gemacht, auf weidersehen!

8. Donna
    New Orleans
    August 1, 2012, 2:03 am

Oh, and one more thing, they have their own fire truck!! How cool is that!!

9. PA
    August 1, 2012, 9:04 am

I live close to Lancaster and grew up loving the Amish culture. I was initially drawn to the show because I thought the colony would be similar to the Amish. I was wrong about that! I enjoyed learning about the Hutterites. I really hope they bring the show back. I would even read a book about it if they put one out!

10. Millie
    August 1, 2012, 9:08 am

I am an African American woman and love the show. I started watching a few weeks ago when National Geographic had the marathon. The Hutterites culture is fascinating. The Hutterites have community, love, and live a life without looking over ones shoulders and there is accountability. Claudia the rebel of the group, I love Claudia because she believes no pain, no gain. Claudia continue to follow your dreams because if you do not you will suffocate and leave anyway. College is scary but it will enrich your mind in assisting you to help the colony in the near future. Claudia I see you as a Social Worker being a liaison between the colony and the private sector, who knows you can pass laws in your state. God has created a burning desire in all of us and Claudia is in tune to hers. You go girl. Claudia’s mom is a silent rebel and a beautiful woman. The rest of the women are humble and also beautiful and Wesley your mother with her dramatic make over look was stunning. I too wear no make-up and natural beauty rules.

11. Millie
    August 1, 2012, 9:27 am

One more thing, Clinton, you are a true born leader but the sad thing is you do not see it. Wesley is a wonderful role model and so are you. You are doing what you think everyone expects from you “you have nothing to lose attitude”. You were willing to take full blame of that blaze because you think everyone in the colony expects the worse from you, so why not take full blame. Stop being internally hard on yourself it shows, stay in prayer and around good people who have your best interest at heart. You are very special as a 19 or 20 year old young man; take each day a step at a time. Stop being lax with your life. You are a good man Clinton.

12. r.messina
    August 1, 2012, 11:50 am

great show period,,hands down Caudia and Wesley are the next gernation,,and and will do a great job in the Colony,,, looking forward to next season

13. Christian
    August 1, 2012, 12:22 pm

I cannot believe these colony people claim on TV to be Christian and ready to be baptized and yet at the same time will use foul language and drink alcohol!! Not very Christian to me!!

14. Lea Dean
    SC
    August 1, 2012, 12:29 pm

Am I the only person who believes that most of the things they say and do are made up for TV. The acting is less than a High School play with them smiling and interrupting each other with their rehearsed lines. The teens can’t go to school, get drunk and break the law but yet they are all supposed to be a religious group.

15. Michelle
    San Diego
    August 1, 2012, 12:56 pm

I love the show, Please have a second season.

16. Claudia
    Little Rhody
    August 1, 2012, 1:31 pm

I love this show! I don’t find it degrading to women at all. Unlike some of the posters here, I am intelligent and understanding enough to know that the colony members are defending their traditions. I don’t think anyone means any harm in forbidding women to go to school. Simply put, it is not in their tradition, or best intereste for women to leave the colony. Still, I love the show, especially Bertha and Claudia. I admire Bertha so much for being a mother first.

17. Teresa
    Hollister, CA
    August 1, 2012, 1:34 pm

Loved The Show… Love Bertha she is my favorite. She is a stong single Mom who loves her children. Claudia I know she wants more but is torn between life on the colony and being on her own. I think the backlash of the elders will be what holds her back to colony. I think Westly is a great guy and a good catch for any woman who wants a great guy! Toby and his family is adorable, and Marvin is a scary guy when he has to be, you can see that he loves everyone and tying to do the best for the colony. The insight to this way of life, is so interesting. I hope there is a season 2. If i left anyone out sorry I LOVE THE SHOW!

18. K.W.
    August 1, 2012, 2:00 pm

I want to like the show but can’t because it’s so obviously rehearsed and they’re being told what to say and how to act. You can see them trying not to smile when they’re supposed to be arguing etc.
    It’s a shame the producers are having them portray their community so dishonestly and embarrassingly. And it’s also a shame the Hutterites are agreeing to do it just for money. If their community really is as dysfunctional as its’ portrayed then they all should leave the colony.

19. circlepuppy
    oregon
    August 1, 2012, 2:06 pm

Hooked! i love this show. These people are allowing us alook into their lyfestyle and should be commended, not bashed. I for one respect them for this. I am also praying that Claudia hasthe courage to follow her dreams. Last nights show had me in tears, go for it girl. There is no doubt in my mind that she has what it takes to thrive in college. SEASON TWO PLEASE!!!

20. LAF
    Washington
    August 1, 2012, 2:29 pm

Thank you to the cast, and Elders, permitting the filming of this show. I enjoy learning about your beliefs, way of life. All TV is produced, directed and edited. I believe giving people a face only helps tear down prejudice.

21. Faith
    CA
    August 1, 2012, 6:13 pm

Please bring back this program!! I don’t watch many t.v. shows regularly, but this one has me hooked. The people are interesting, funny and heartwarming. I just hope that this Colony doesn’t suffer punishment, for allowing us to peer into their daily lives. I think people understand that this is for entertainment purposes and NOT a documentary.

22. Peter
    August 1, 2012, 8:52 pm

It’s hard to believe that people can still live this way but who are we to judge. The fact that the last show was the “season” finale and not the “series” finale makes me hope that we will be seeing another season of “Meet the Hutterites.”

Thanks NatGeo

23. marge
    new york state
    August 1, 2012, 9:07 pm

I also want to the the Elders for allowing the filming of the show. I never knew anything about the Hutterites. I applaud Claudia for standing up for her rights and her Mom sticking by her. I am going to miss the show now that the series has ended. Hopefully they will be back on National Geographic soon. The boys went to college so the girls that want to should be allowed also. There are so girls that are not interested.
    Good Luck Claudia & MOM !

24. Debbie
    Ohio
    August 2, 2012, 5:01 am

My husband & I both love the Hutterites! We do not believe in everything the Hutterites do & believe but it is wonderful to watch & learn about another culture in the USA. We thank the Hutterite people for allowing us into their lives & we thank NG for the show. We will be waiting for season 2!

25. Greg cwik
    buffalo NY
    August 2, 2012, 9:08 am

The hutterites are awesome – wish I could go and spend the day with them, they seem like such wonderful people – I’d love to have dinner with Bertha, Wesley and Claudia.

26. Teresa
    North Carolina
    August 2, 2012, 11:28 am

loved watching the Hutterites and learning about their culture…I understand that their bishop is still mad at the tv show and won’t allow a season 2. that’s really too bad because i have really enjoyed learning about their culture. thanks NG and Hutterites for allowing us to peek in to your way of life… Go Claudia!!

27. Greg
    Louisiana
    August 2, 2012, 2:43 pm

We really like this show. It is refreshing to see young people with their work ethics. Please have at least one more season.

28. Roxanne
    August 2, 2012, 3:46 pm

Really have enjoyed this show. I was hoping for a second season. Watching the younger generation struggle with human problems and questions was refreshing. I’m hoping Claudia gets to go to college particularily as I understand other young people have been allowed in Canadian provinces to attend college. Rita’s mother was a college graduate it would seem that would carry some weight.

29. bartletc
    Westerville, OH
    August 2, 2012, 4:22 pm

I have watched the show since the beginning and I love it.
    One gets so close to the families that you feel a part of the
    community. They are holding on hard to their belief systems and way of life. I admire them for trying in this crazy world.
    Can’t wait for the next season…….

30. beachkat
    Tampa, FL
    August 2, 2012, 5:22 pm

I really like this show. I couldn’t live that lifestyle, but respect their culture & traditions, if that’s the way they want to live their lives. At least they aren’t polygamists, which I totally disagree with. I do think that the teens should be allowed more socialization on a regular basis, even if it’s only with other Hutterite colonies, so that not only could they find a future spouse, but also be less rebellious….CLAUDIA! lol Lastly, I think Toby is really cute!

31. Wendy
    Woodridge, IL
    August 2, 2012, 7:45 pm

I really hope there’s another season. If there isn’t – I hope there’s some way we can find out what happens to them. I want to know if Claudia goes to college – and if the other young adults get baptized and married.

32. Richard
    Thornville, Ohio
    August 2, 2012, 9:38 pm

I love the show but dont like all the cussing , Go claudia reach for the stars!!!

33. Vanessa
    Bell, CA
    August 2, 2012, 9:56 pm

I love this show! It is amazing! I look forward to watching new episodes every week! I hope they continue this show. It’s so interesting and I love learning about new cultures. And Jan, there is nothing disgusting about it! You’re just ignorant.

34. Jackie
    Camden, SC
    August 2, 2012, 10:13 pm

It was an interesting show, what a shame there will not be a second season. I appreciate the colony sharing their culture with all of us viewers. We all know that much of the show has to be scripted, even so, it still showed us how much they care about each other and are there for one another.

35. Donna
    New Orleans
    August 2, 2012, 11:31 pm

The Head Bishop says there will be no Season 2! I agree with Carver, the elders do have too much power!

36. Rob
    Los Angeles CA
    August 3, 2012, 12:46 am

Claudia, please follow your dream, your future with education. As a psychologist you’ll be able to bring your colony into the 21st Century and free your people from a pure patriarch existence.

37. tj
    August 3, 2012, 11:58 am

I first encountered the hutterites when hunting on their land (with permission of course) outside of Calgary. It was a real mystery to me how they\ colony worked and what the real culture was about. I always left saying “I need to read about this”, but never did. When i saw the promos for the show, I was really excited. I love this show and so do my girls: 16, 13 and 8. I hope we get to see what happens to the people. I could see in Calgary they were hard workers and ran a great farming/ranching operation, but it has been great to see more. Marvin is a stud. He is a great leader. Wish we would have gotten to see more…. and of course, we all need to know how the Hofer kids do, especially Claudia!

38. Evanne
    Texas
    August 3, 2012, 2:05 pm

If there is an afterlife I want to come back as a Hutterite. I love the community of love and family. You don’t have to worry about getting laid off or loosing your home to forclosure. You always have a caring person nearby. Every thing on the colony is state of the art. I would love to cook in that kitchen! The men seem to choose their wives for their virtue and inner beauty. The respect them and are good fathers. The son follows the father and learns a trade from him. What a wonderful life!

39. Sylvia
    California
    August 3, 2012, 7:52 pm

I think this show is wonderful. I have learned so much about the Hutterite community. The older I get, the more I realize that as much as people are different – they are very much the same. My children are grown with children & grandchildren of their own. I’m always telling them about the Hutterities & now they’re all fans too. Claudia, go to college . If they let you, this experience will bring so much knowledge back to your community. Looking forward to the next season.

40. jim
    boston mass
    August 4, 2012, 11:43 am

I also loved every episode of this program. I just hope there will be a season two and elders don’t put stop to it. Or if not, be nice if NGeo, gives viewers some sort of update. Very well done show. I can’t decide who my favorite is, But Claudia I think primary person: she’s also very pretty , smart and nice person. Also Bertha, and Wesley. Just wish Toby took that toothpick or whatever out of his mouth

41. jim
    boston, mass
    August 4, 2012, 11:49 am

Also googled Great Falls Univ and see it is Catholic college. I would be surprised if hutterites would allow in addition college, a Catholic one

42. Cheryl
    Gentry, ar
    August 4, 2012, 12:54 pm

My husband and I love watching the Hutterites, please have another season, We just love Bertha and Claudia. Want to see what choices Claudia makes

43. Ann
    August 4, 2012, 8:03 pm

hmmm, there was a cameraperson at the barn, maybe a producer/ director/ SOMEONE behind the scenes ? yet NOONE said, hey you left this barrel burning next to the barn . this show is stooooooopid !

44. Kat
    Texas
    August 7, 2012, 11:10 am

I LOVE this show and have learned a lot from it. I think it is fantastic that the members of the colony are giving us an insight into their world and I surely hope we will see more of this series!

45. American Patriot
    U.S.
    September 11, 2012, 7:31 pm

@ Jan: This way of life is much older than our culture here in America -and people here in the states can choose to live how they WANT – Perhaps it is YOU, that is NOT living right, and your way of life is considered “disgusting” to use your own words…

Maybe you should be MORE concerned about how things are in the REAL world – like how Israel receives 30 BILLION DOLLARS in economic and Military AID (Welfare) from the American TAXPAYERS! – While they usurp and keep the indigenous people of PALESTINE in an apartheid state… The Israeli government are the real Terrorists of the world… Now, THATS DISGUSTING!!

46. Susan Jones
    September 26, 2012, 1:50 pm

Everyone in the show was an adult. They knew what they were doing, they’re not stupid. I believe they decided to go along with it from the beginning for the money and just figured they would ask forgiveness later. They wanted the best of both worlds. If they REALLY felt bad about what they were doing then why did they do TEN shows? Why not stop after the first one? They wanted the money AND they wanted to not get in trouble. If anyone was minipulated here it was NatGeo. “We didnt know we were going to a bar in Medicine Hat” Sure didn’t stop them from throwing back shots and playing pool and stuff though did it? lol I think the whole things hilarious.

47. Jan
    Canada
    October 2, 2012, 10:39 pm

Many people I know, love this show. I don’t imagine the chances of it returning for a second season are very great.
    Who cares if it seems contrived sometimes, I love it.

48. chuck
    calif
    October 22, 2012, 10:34 am

There are a cpl posts saying “I dont like the show,It’disgusting” It’s SIMPLE, Change the channel get up off your fat ass and go get some more popcorn

49. Steve Walters
    Alberta Canada
    November 11, 2012, 9:48 pm

As an exhutterite or veg gelufner (run away) as my family and friends call me, i am very proud of these people at King colony. My family knows them personally. Good job on the show. And to those of u complaining about a script, get a life. We as hutterites are fun, loving, and hard working people. I have a 10 year old stepdaughter and girl friend that just love goin to visit. Hutterite way of life is recession proof and the kindness and love is out of this world. while farming and ranching will always be in my heart and blood, i choose a job in the oil and gas industry in northern alberta. keep up the good work

50. Kieran
    Edinburgh
    January 30, 2013, 9:58 pm

U watch the Hutterites,and yes it’s interesting to watch,but I think that they all need to get a grip,get in line with the rest of the world.they’re traditions are so out of date,that they’re backwards.claudia and wesley needs to leave the colony,since they’re the only normal ones there.