If you tuned in to American Gypsies: The Gloves Come Off last night, you saw firsthand how upset Nicky was with Bobby for considering letting his daughters get in to acting. Known to be hot-tempered and bull-headed, Nicky’s always ready for a fight, especially when anything or anyone threatens the good name of his family. Nicky takes it upon himself to protect the family’s honor at all costs—even though it’s Erik, the oldest, who’s supposed to be in charge. For Nicky, upholding their Romani traditions is not up for discussion, period.

Check out a clip from last night to see the drama unfold, and vote to let us know who’s side you are on.

Do you think Bobby is in the wrong for going against tradition that generations of his family have held in utmost esteem. Or do you think Nicky needs to let go and start bending the rules?

Comments

1. Jeff
    Georgia
    July 25, 2012, 12:05 pm

Wow! I usually enjoy these programs that give us a peek at other cultures, but not this. Nothing but strife, ridicule, badgering and control freaks. No love, kindness, gentility and absolutely no consideration of others opinions. I’m done after one episode and I’m very happy gypsies keep to themselves.

2. E
    July 25, 2012, 9:53 pm

Bobby is absolutely drop dead gorgeous!!!!

3. Viewer
    July 25, 2012, 10:16 pm

While I have the total respect of the Johns family letting outside (Gaje) viewers have some insight into the Romani lifestyle it makes me wonder why a family so guarded bout their Romami culture that they world would let their lives be captured on such global level???

4. Kitty
    Kansas
    July 25, 2012, 10:52 pm

If Nicky is so opposed to mixing with the gadje then why is he doing this show?

5. Natalie
    Las Vegas
    July 26, 2012, 1:18 am

There are 5 brothers but no wives ? I have not seen 1 yet so who’s running all the psychic shops? The kids ? And alot of the traditions are not accurate in this show at all this is ridiculous and made gypsy people look like a bunch of caged animals set free. You people are a nuisance especially Tina a little over done bad acting I dont anticipate this lasting very long

6. Karen Pearce
    Norfolk, VA
    July 26, 2012, 12:22 pm

This show plays out like the “Soparano’s”. So far we have seem them tearing apart another family’s business, bashing in car windows with bats and trying to marry everyone off. The patriarch of the family actually sounds like he is trying to sound like Marlon Brando in the Godfather. What a waste of time…far below NGC standards.

7. Ed (Thompson) Kalesse
    phila,pa
    July 26, 2012, 9:45 pm

I am gypsy and lived the gypsy way of life untill a young teen when my mother passed away and I went to live with my father who took me and my younger sister away from the rest of our family. For years I have been trying to locate them. SO if any body in the philly area knows the Thompson family (grandmother Catherine,grand father Louis(deceased),uncles Tommy,Larry or Louis(sonny) and aunt Ruby) contact me by posting here.

8. Laurie Spoor
    Indiana
    July 26, 2012, 11:02 pm

I would like to point out that here “they” (the Family…Grand Father, Grand Mother…Nicky ect….) Saying how the “girls” cant be going to acting school or get into acting when THEY are ON TV!!!!!! What is that all about….or should they Kick themselves out of the “Gypsy” way of life!?!

9. Pam Schutt
    upstate New York
    July 28, 2012, 12:33 am

Erik showed himself to be a perfect future family leader. A leader listens and make thoughtful decisions. He keeps his energy close and is respectful of others energetic space until it is necessary to speak out and express his thoughts and or directives. Nicky blasts people with his loudness and energy pushing everyone forcefully away stopping any chance of communication. He acts like a fool and therefore disrespects his family and Rom culture.

10. Pam
    washington
    July 28, 2012, 3:22 pm

Where is Bobby”s wife? Shame on her for not making sure her daughter can”t read! If that is her idea of home schooling she should be fired! Bobby is hot hot hot and wherever his wife is she should stay closer to her hottie. Nicky is a complete idiot! He makes it almost impossible to watch the show. We see enough hatred and violence every day without him adding to it.

11. STEPHEN BRADLEY
    July 29, 2012, 8:51 am

This show is disgusting they oppress their woman and young girls from a young age ( seems like Bobby and Eric are the only ones with any common sense) They dont allow them to be educated as can be seen in the episodes, You have Nicky who says ” we are not Americans” well then go back to where ever you came from if it was so great. The elders who think their is a law other then the constitution and NGC who is promoting this disgrace is all I can say at this point.

12. Chad
    San Antonio,TX
    July 31, 2012, 10:19 am

What a bunch of inbred idiots! Thanks Ralph Machio and NATGEO for bringing these un-American stooges to light! If they don’t like America, then they can go back to wherever they came from. From what I’ve seen none have jobs and live off the backs of their young girls that go into the family business of being scam artists! If you scam artists can’t abide by our laws, get out of America! I can only hope the FBI and NYPD terrorism unit starts an investigation into their un-American activities! Shame on you NATGEO. Because of this show, your channel isn’t as good as it once was!

13. Stormee
    Tennessee
    July 31, 2012, 11:17 am

Bobby is by far the best of the bunch.
    Nicky is just an overblown bully who wants to The Godfather of his family. Although while he’s spouting about the Rom being secretive and so traditional, he sure is enjoying the limelight. Nicky is like the Sonny of the family while Bobby is the Michael.
    As for Bob,Sr. : If he so against his children and grandchildren going against their traditions, then why did he agree to be filmed?

14. Aelita Cover
    New Jersey
    August 5, 2012, 6:21 pm

Oh, Nicky has a lot of nerve. For one, after seeing the latest episode it makes sense to me why his behavior was so SEVERE regarding holding tradition in his causing conflict with his family members. He was protesting his nieces’ acting classes way too much and I knew he was up to no good when he went to his brothers house and the brother did not want to hear his complaints about holding up tradition and called Nicky on being a hypocrite about not teaching his own children to speak their language.
    Now he betrays tradition and family in a huge way by his involvement with a competing family members’ wife very well knowing that could cause a war. So, he says it’s nothing? Let’s one of his brothers go to jail in relation to the trouble? Says it no big deal and tells his brothers to just pay the fine? Who the hell does he think he is? How DARE he? And he still states to the viewers that he will still be head of the family? Wow…. The very best thing for the family unity, peace, strength and love would be to disown him – kick him out of the family forever.
    Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling the family will sacrifice everything just for the all mighty dollar being in this show and end up letting him get away with everything for the ratings. Oh, one more thing….. Why is he in this show if he opposes acting classes for his nieces? He is nothing but a disgrace to his family, an abusive bully, liar, deadbeat worthless bum where the rest of the family who work have to now pay his fine and he even expects them to? He is nothing but a piece of crap.

15. Noraa
    Africa
    March 29, 2013, 5:49 am

These people are cruel dirty and controlling
    They disgust me and I will not waste anymore of my time watching them make fools of themselves
    To treat animals the way they treated the pigs in one episode was shocking. They should be ashamed of themselves