On a chilly, wintery day Wesley takes a small group of young adults on a tour of the colony. Tours of the colony are not common, but when people inquire about what goes on they are usually welcomed. When the visitors ask if Hutterites are a “cult” it’s obvious to Wesley the tours aren’t enough to dispel the stereotypes about Hutterites. Later, Wesley contacts a college professor he knows to ask him about giving a presentation to address the public’s misconceptions.

Meanwhile, Claudia and her friend Lori, the preacher’s daughter, are in Claudia’s bedroom studying their EMT textbooks. As something different to do they have just recently started a free course in town to get certified as emergency medical technicians, which could be a very useful skill on the colony. The conversation turns towards talk of the future, in particular that this course has Claudia thinking more about college. Lori, somewhat alarmed by this kind of talk, wants her friend to remember the consequences if she leaves the colony for school, that she would be on her own and her mother would be heartbroken.

Wesley, Claudia, and Lori head to Great Falls where Wesley meets with a couple of teachers about the presentation while Claudia and Lori take a tour of the university. On the tour a nervously excited Claudia and an uneasy Lori are intrigued about what it would be like to leave the colony to go to college. Claudia has a meeting with the head of the psychology department and they both head off with their applications. Will Wesley and other members of the Colony be able to dispel some myths and misconceptions about the Hutterites? And will Claudia go through with her college application? Tune in to find out!

_____

Don’t miss Meet the Hutterites: We Are Not A Cult tonight, July 24th at 10P et/pt.

Comments

1. joseph pickard
    auburn,new york
    July 24, 2012, 6:05 pm

the best family series i have ever seen,they have a very nice family lifestyle.i wish most people lived in such ways,believe in god and stay true to his words.please make more seasons,maybe people can learn right from wrong,and still have love for one another.thankyou

2. Laura Delker
    Hamilton, Ohio 45013
    July 24, 2012, 6:40 pm

Have been watching this program for awhile now. It is
    interesting and educational about the Hutterites. The one
    thing that sticks out to me is the fact that the young people
    are outspoken and almost disrespecful to their elders. Why is that tolerated?

3. Eric T Wilken
    Benton, AR
    July 24, 2012, 8:17 pm

My wife and I love the show. We feel for Claudia as she struggles with Hutterite tradition as well as finding her own way. It’d be nice to see the Hutterites do a show where they answer viewer emails or video clips to continue to get understanding into their lifestyle…

4. EG Mori
    Stephenville tx
    July 24, 2012, 9:32 pm

We love the Hutterites. I think they have the right idea on family, work and religion. What a rewarding and fulfilling lifestyle.

5. melinda lindauer
    indiana
    July 24, 2012, 10:15 pm

Very good people loyal Christians that we the public need educated on. Thank You Melinda

6. Linda Weston
    Maine
    July 24, 2012, 11:01 pm

Please continue the Hutterite series …. I am addicted! I feel for each person and wish them well.

7. john
    Rothsay mn
    July 24, 2012, 11:13 pm

I love the show meet the hutterites. There is a colony of hutterites in mn by me in hawley. I’ve been out to the colony a few times. Hope the show is picked up next year

8. Pam Unruh
    Montana
    July 24, 2012, 11:18 pm

I am truely disappointed that as a channel to teach the world you have stooped so low as to exploit the truth with made up reality..I personally know existing and ex hutterites and you have so distorted the truth about thier culture..
    You made them look ridiculous..There wasn’t any truth to this program.
    You took an opportunity to teach and instead you demeaned a culture..Yoiu should be ashamed..I am ashamed for you..

9. Lance Wilde
    Madison, Wi
    July 24, 2012, 11:29 pm

Thanks to the King Colony for opening up their lives to outside eyes. I have read some of the criticism of the series by other Hutterites. I do not find the portrayal of this American colony is in the least negative. They come off as people like everyone else.

10. lisa
    texas
    July 25, 2012, 12:45 am

I REALLY LOVE THIS SHOW..AND I REALLY HOPE THAT IT WILL ALWAYS CONTINUE..TO AIR…I CANT WAIT TILL TUESDAY…JUST SO I CAN WATCH THIS SHOW ..IF I HAPPEN TO BE BUSY, I WILL RECORD IT TO MY DVR..NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC..HERE IS A HIGH FIVE..GREAT SHOW…SMILE

11. portefeuille louis vuitton damier
    July 25, 2012, 6:16 am

I’ve been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It

12. Tammy
    July 25, 2012, 7:50 am

Does anyone know if Wesley and Claudia are on Facebook or Twitter.

13. Michael
    Rochester, Minnesota
    July 25, 2012, 11:45 am

I have never been to fond of reality TV or even some educational however, shows like this and your channel in general are changing my mind. This is educational entertainment and information at its best. Being leery of all reality TV I imagine some of the way of life of the Hutterites has been distorted however, I am anxious to visit one of the colonies in my state of Minnesota now to learn more. Thank you for great educational programming.

14. Crystal
    Augusta, Georgia
    July 25, 2012, 11:58 am

I really enjoy this show. So informative about different lifestyles, Notice I did not say religion because they believe in Christianity. Having lived on a farm myself I know the struggles of farming and rasiing crops and animals. They live a lifestyle that is fading in our country and heartland, with the only exception being that they have steadfast morals and dress differntly! Great job National Geographic and I hope to see more seasons of this wonderful show, and to the Hutterites, thank you for allowing us into your world!

15. STEVEN
    Florida
    July 25, 2012, 1:02 pm

Love the show. Are you going to renew the series? If so, when can we expect it to air.

16. Jennifer Rook
    Neola, Utah
    July 25, 2012, 2:31 pm

We LOVE the Hutterites! This is a great family show. My 8 year old son watches it each week religiously with me. Thank you to King Colony for opening up to the cameras so we can catch a glimpse into your lives. Bertha is one of my favorites and I love her children. Claudia may be feisty and interested in the outside world, but you can tell she’s still very happy to be a part of the colony and likes life and the people there very much. I adore Claudia and Bertha.

17. Donna
    New Orleans
    July 25, 2012, 5:48 pm

WOW! What a good show this was! So, so proud of Wesley and the others, even the ones who did not speak, to voluntarily come under the critical eye of the outside world. Took guts, congratulations to you all.
    And oh m g, that little Tristan is the sweetest little boy, took guts for him as well to ride a sheep! Proud of him too!
    Please, please, please Nat Geo, won’t you do whatever you have to do to make this a full- flegde series? A lot of us are vested now because, well, they’re like family.

18. Jen
    Calif
    July 25, 2012, 6:31 pm

I think you are the most wonderful people. I can understand what Claudia is feeling, but listen to your Mother Claudia! The outside world is not a better place than yours. Embrace your destiny as a Hutterite! I love you Bertha! Biggest Fan!

19. Susie
    MO
    July 25, 2012, 6:48 pm

I am curious about the older Hutterite’s of the colony. Are there any disabled, or seniors with dementia? Do they have a stance on medical care? Do they ever go to nursing homes?

20. Trish Tibbitts
    Orlando, Florida
    July 25, 2012, 9:45 pm

First of all- I am honored for this opportunity to understand, even if it is a minimal glimpse, this Colony. All of the people I have seen, I really liked.
    I absolutely love Claudia & Bertha. I wish I could meet them or at least correspond with them.
    Though they don’t know me, I feel I’ve gotten to know them somewhat & hope the show continues so I can continue to know them better.
    Natgeo

21. Trish Tibbitts
    Orlando, Florida
    July 25, 2012, 9:50 pm

NATGEO needs to continue to follow The King Ranch.

Can you contact any of these people directly?
    I have questions. Can an English become a Hutterite?
    Do they go to other colonies to find non- related mates?
    Can they move from one colony to another & is it easy to do?

22. Trish Tibbitts
    Orlando, Florida
    July 25, 2012, 9:59 pm

How about the Hutterites go to Disney World. :)

23. chrystal
    ohio
    July 26, 2012, 8:03 pm

I love this show! I wish I would have seen it from the beginning, hopefully there will be reruns during the off-season. Please bring them back for another season!
    I agree, an episode where they answered viewer questions would be awesome :)

24. Ann
    Kansas
    July 26, 2012, 8:55 pm

My adult children watch this show and love it! We all do.
    A different culture but so normal in day to day challenges. We enjoy Bertha, Claudia, Wesley, Toby and all. Goes to show you can have a reality show people without all the focus on materialism, immorality and self centeredness.

25. Tammy
    Minnesota
    July 27, 2012, 12:34 am

Love the show! Reaffirms the fact that we all experience life in similar ways, no matter our culture or religion. Watching feisty Claudia feel limited in her life choices is something I experienced as a young woman. Nurse, teacher or secretary. I hope she finds her destiny, whatever it may be. Have great affection and respect for Bertha. Wesley is great as are many of the others!

26. Suzy
    July 27, 2012, 12:48 am

I love this series. I have become so appreciative of the Hutterite way of life and it is refreshing to know most people are all alike. It is so important that we all understand each other better as we all share the same country and many of the the same customs and religious beliefs. I think these folks are good roll models. At least Hutterites are honest and seem to live good and honest lives. Keep this series coming. I would really like to know them more fully.

27. Jeffrey Bohemier
    Saint Augustine, Florida
    July 27, 2012, 2:49 am

First, to Pam Unruh, I seriously doubt that National Geographic makes this stuff up. If anybody can do a reality television series and do it right, you can put your money on NATGEO to get it right. Last but not least Pam, there are a lot of colonies out there and I’m quite sure each is different as the personalities of the people in each colony is going to be different. I find this show to be a very heart warming reality TV show about King Colony, and have watched it was more interest than just about any other show. They’re way of life may be different, yet it works for them, and frankly, its nice to have a family come into my living room each week, even if its not mine, as its a family that cares for each other, that shows love for each other, and respects one another like fewer and fewer English families do these days. Many could learn a thing or two from King Colony. I feel for Bertha, trying to keep her children’s morals up while having to deal with them getting into their late teen years. The fact that her husband had killed himself just makes it that much harder. Toby works his butt off and frankly, needs a much earned vacation. I don’t get the dropping out of school thing some of the parents encouraging it, as one would think that they would want their children to get the best education possible. But none of that takes away from the show and are problems also faced in our English world, so in that sense, they’re not so different than the rest of us. I hope this show stays on the air for a long time to come, as its one of the very best shows on television now and is by far the best reality show to date. Keep up the good work NATGEO, and if I find any Colonies anywhere near my area of the country, I would love to go and visit them to learn more about their way of life.

28. Patty M
    Columbos, Ohio
    July 27, 2012, 8:51 am

Meet the Hutterites: This has become my #1 show. I appreciate how they live as a family, their traditions and talk about the best personalities, discussions, laufhs and love….what a lovable family. Wesley, Bertha, everyone are naturals to show usa glimpse inside their lives. Thank You for airing a wonderful show.

29. David Hiott
    Walterboro, SC
    July 27, 2012, 12:07 pm

One of the best series ever. If the King Colony can stand it, ask them to share their lives with us for a few more seasons?

30. David
    Chicago
    July 27, 2012, 3:00 pm

I really like the show.They are good- natured hard working people. I hope they will continue to share their lives with us for a long time to come. Cant decide which one of them is my favorite, but do favor Bertha and her family. Wesley is great too.

31. Ann
    July 27, 2012, 8:55 pm

this colony makes conservative dress an issue, but apparently profanity and misuse of the name of God is ignored !?!?? even the women swear.

32. Lisa
    USA
    July 27, 2012, 10:16 pm

I got the mistaken impression that these people were similar to the Amish. They are not. They wear make-up and use frequent profanity and drink. They have already shown the young people telling their parents to borrow a vehicle to go to a wedding which led to drinking in a bar and one boy dating outsiders. The show is full of strife, family members disrespect each other and argue thru each episode I’ve seen. The mother was shunned by their elders for the children’s actions, going against the rules of the community and they seem sad briefly over it but continue to do what they please in the end. Sad. What sets them apart from the rest of us? Looking at the drinking, profanity, use of modern technology, disrespecting their elders and each other, wearing make up, fighting and arguing amongst themselves, dating outside of their faith..lots more…i’m not sure.

33. umar hashmi
    karachi, pakistan
    July 30, 2012, 2:19 am

it is requested to launch National Geographic Channel in Urdu language as well, Hindi is on air but Urdu is also required because it is lingua franca of south Asia including Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Bangladesh and Mauritius.

34. cynthia
    New Jersey
    July 30, 2012, 9:25 am

I love the show because it has taught me the way of life of the Hutterites. Honestly, I never heard of them prior to this show but I am glad NatGeo has put their story out there. I know Wesley said they believe in “pacifism” which is great especially in the world we live in today. Perhaps we need to take some lessons from them, there is way too much hatred in this world and alot of times over STUPIDITY!! What I do not like is that the kids have very dirty mouths and don’t seem to respect their elders as much as you would expect them to. And the other thing that I do not like too much is that they all seem to have a “smirk” on their faces all the time, like it is so “put on.” They don’t look very sincere. Take a close look at when they say something and you’ll see what I am talking about. I hope NatGeo brings back another season of the Hutterites because I like to learn about other cultures and ways of life other than my own. There are other shows on TV that are nonsense and they return so I think that a show like this that shows us real life in another type of culture should return. At least this is educational! What are we learning from the Kardashians? Just saying!! Hope to see Wesley, Claudia and the gang for another season. Thanks NatGeo.

35. Eloise Keeter
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    August 2, 2012, 2:29 pm

We love this show and the families. Please keep the series going. Want to find out more about them and follow them through the years to see weddings, births and their lives change. Would like to see more about Bertha and Claudia.
    Is there a way of chatting with any of them on computer?

36. Texas Granny
    August 10, 2012, 8:44 pm

Congratulations to Lisa,Melvin,Wesley+Lisas sister on your babtism. Hope you all have a happy life+ I know you are all so happy about it too. Hope we get to see Lisa+Melvins wedding(cant wait).Sorry I cant remember Lisas sisters name. Texas Granny August 10,2012.

37. Cynthia Mattus
    MA
    August 10, 2012, 9:53 pm

I love this show..Bertha,Rita and Berthas beautiful little girl…..I hope it goes on forever..These people don’t know how we all long for that kind of life….and

i

38. Mary Stoller
    Pacifica, California
    August 29, 2012, 11:36 am

I Love this show and the families..
    My favorite is Bertha, she is so strong a woman and wants
    the best for her children, when her and Rita were shunned my heart hurt for them.

39. Beth Bowman
    September 13, 2012, 9:03 pm

I think I have come to like Claudia, Wesley, Bertha, and all the rest. You all remind me of home. I am from a small town in northern New York. I wish that I lived in Montana so that I could meet you all and become friends. My Husband and I truly love each and everyone of you. Bertha, you hang in there. Everything will be alright with the children. I would love to have a friendship with you all. If you would like to e-mail me back, that would be great! You are opening the eyes of everyone, as to how you live and practice your faith. I say way to go!!!

40. Pauline McGrath
    Maine
    September 17, 2012, 8:15 am

As in all Tv im sure some of this is made for viewers the dating outside scene so it would be discussed with his mom, the shunning, how they earn money, there schooling, and what some of the rules of the colony are. i really enjoy this show and hope it has another year Bertha is the cutest women.

41. Gail
    Michigan
    December 8, 2012, 4:16 pm

I dated and lived with a former Hutterite. He was condescending, spiteful and vengeful at the end of our relationship. He lied and stole many items plus my beloved pet. So you tell me. Are these traits he learned from his Hutterite parents or on the outside?

42. paul
    Washington state
    January 27, 2013, 5:55 am

I have been watching this show they say that they are not a cult yet if your kid doesn’t drop out of school your shunned girls can’t wear their hair down they have to marry inside the family everyone of them are related so please tell me how the heck are they not a cult an inbred cult to be exact if your kid goes to school your not allowed to go to church if your kid dates someone outside the cult you are not allowed to be a part of the cult sounds to me like the elders are a bunch of Men that are trying to live in the past were females have no rights at all and they are afraid that kids will want to leave if they go to school no were in the bible does it say your not allowed to go to school wear your hair long if your a female our date outside your family in fact it is against the law and a sin to marry inside your family that is just sick I hope Claudia leaves and goes to college and I hope all the other kids get a pair of balls and stand up to the ediodic way of thinking the Hutterites are nothing more then a cult and anyone that says it’s not are either part of the cult are a bunch of morons

43. paul
    washing
    January 27, 2013, 6:02 am

I have noticed that only good comments are allowed on this comment site that is pathetic sorry if you can’t handle hearing the truth then go hide under a rock and stay true to your CULT ways

44. in home care
    October 8, 2013, 9:33 am

I am writing some thing for Uni and I wanted to know very well what illnesses entitle people to having free home care or an allowance for home care, whereby a carer will come to the persons house a few times a week or everyday of the week to assist them.. . A person with any knowledge or knowledge, your help would be much appreciated. Thank you..