On this episode of America’s Lost Treasures, Curt Doussett and Kinga Philipps host an open call for artifacts and items at the Museum of Natural History in Los Angeles, California. People from all over southern California show up to share their personal treasures and stories. The mission: to select one item that is worthy of being displayed in a special National Geographic exhibit.

Curt finds a 34-star American Flag, a C-melody saxophone and a dinosaur bone.  He is certain one of these items is museum worthy.  Kinga wants to learn more about three antique rifles, a light bulb possibly owned by Thomas Edison’s chief engineer and fish fossil.  They each set out to investigate the history and value of their items in the hopes that they have discovered one of America’s Lost Treasures.

On their quest to find out more about their chosen items, Kinga and Curt visit a firearms expert, a jazz musician, an Antique Hardware store and a textile conservator. Which item is truly authentic, and unique enough to be chosen as this week’s America’s Lost Treasure? Tune in to find out!

_____

Don’t miss America’s Lost Treasures: Los Angeles, July 18th at 9P et/pt.

Comments

1. marian
    louisiana
    July 18, 2012, 9:11 pm

You should have measured the resistence with ca.1890 equipment.

2. Lynn
    IL
    July 18, 2012, 9:20 pm

I have been looking forward to the show and just saw it tonight for the first time. I believe your female cohost, Kinga Phillips, brings the legitimacy, integrity and historical value of the program down to a reality show level. Her vocabulary is junior highish (awesome, cool, etc) and her mannerisms belong somewhere that would better serve a different type of program. I believe the artifacts and the investigation thereof can easily stand on their own without making the show about the cohosts competition. I expected a higher standard of delivery from NGC.

3. Jay Wilhelm
    Indiana
    July 18, 2012, 9:42 pm

I was disappointed by the choice of the 37 star flag over the Edison bulb. I spent 30 years in the electrical & lighting business as a certified lighting consultant, and felt the need to comment on how the bulb was ruled out.
    Keep in mind that the resistance values documented in 1891 would have been done with a primitive (by today’s standards) analog meter. The values checked on the show were done with a modern, digital meter. The variation was only approximately 10%…well within the tolerances that would be seen between digital and analog. The electrical engineers SHOULD have checked values with an analog meter.
    I believe that the bulb was actually one of the patented bulbs.

4. Mark R
    FL
    July 18, 2012, 9:45 pm

We are enjoying this new series with one major exception: The Hosts.
    Please return them to Nickelodeon or wherever you found them. They greatly detract from the great content and format of the show.

5. Mike D
    Chattanooga
    July 19, 2012, 7:53 am

Shouldn’t the bulb have been tested using period equipment? Modern testing equipment will have a much tighter tolerance than those made in 1890.

6. Rick
    Colchester Connecticut USA
    July 25, 2012, 11:00 am

I have a picture that was in one of the worlds fairs, I believe in the 1880’s that was in the Craftsmanship in America Exhibit of A Needle point Dog, Pointer to be exact, it was done by my great, great Grandmother, and has been in the family for many years now, and would like to see if I can get more info on it….Rick

7. Steve
    Florida
    August 10, 2012, 11:40 am

Edison engineer John W. Howell wrote in his book “stories for my children” that he made around thirty or forty lamps for that big 1890 trial, and only 26 were admitted into evidence. Kind of makes me wonder if this light bulb might be one of the undocumented leftovers Howell made and saved as a souvenir.

8. Gary
    Canada
    September 4, 2012, 6:49 am

The Edison_Bulb may not be what you say it is. It could possibly be a Fessenden Prototype which was the actual forerunner of the modern light bulb. More research must be done to cofirrm, If it is this prototype, then it truly is a Lost American Treasure! You may have missed the boat on this!

9. Jon Wright
    July 9, 2013, 7:29 pm

The dachshund stole the show!! Woof!!