Marvin has one of the most dreaded jobs on the colony – money boss.  And when he doesn’t have enough money to pay the mounting colony bills, he has to come up with a plan quickly.  To make matters worse, everyone on the colony is hounding him to buy them things they claim they can’t live without.  Marvin is completely stressed out and no one is helping him, including Toby, which leads to major friction between these two brothers.

One of the ways Marvin decides to make money is building handmade log bed frames.  When he gets a large order for beds, Marvin enlists Wesley and Clinton to help him.  Wesley and Clinton are not happy about having to do this extra work and make it known, but having no other choice, Marvin tells them they are going to help and that is that.  Wesley and Clinton choose to play beer pong instead of making the beds and when they finally get to the work at hand, they make a huge mistake – the measurements are totally wrong ruining the logs they worked so hard to find in the forest.  Fearing Marvin’s wrath, they rush to the forest to cut down more beds and try to fill the order.

The log beds do not produce enough income to pay the bills so Marvin has to come up with more ideas to bring in money to the colony.  He decides to raise quail to generate more income.  He and his wife Sarah put the eggs in the incubator and once they hatch they take care of the 500 baby quail, making sure they all survive because every quail is worth five dollars.  The other plan Marvin comes up with isn’t going to be easy, because it will mean that his brother Toby will have to let go of twenty heifers to sell at auction.  Toby is not happy at all and is upset that his brother would take away twenty good heifers just to buy people on the colony things that he’s not sure if they even really need.  Marvin and Toby get into a fight, but Marvin is boss and he decides he has to do what he feels is best for the colony, even if it means making his brother upset.

Claudia has her own stress when it is time for her and the other girls to learn how to sew.  She doesn’t love sewing, especially when it’s just the same old boring dresses they always make.  Claudia comes up with a plan for her and the girls to make new, more modern Hutterite dresses with bright colors, shorter hemlines and more bold patterns.  All the girls are excited but have to sneak around because they know they will get into serious trouble if their mothers find out they are wearing anything other then traditional Hutterite dresses.  Claudia and Kristy go to town to buy fabric and even stop at a boutique for inspiration, when they try on jeans and short dresses and feel like normal girls for a minute.  Once back on the colony the girls make their modern creations and Claudia’s is the skimpiest one of all.   They decide to show their dresses off at the bowling alley in town and get a lot of attention, both good and bad.  If it gets back to the colony that they were wearing non-Hutterite dresses and skimpy ones at that, they could be severely punished!

Will Marvin make enough money to be able to pay the colony bills and make everyone happy?  Will Clinton and Wesley stop goofing off and help the colony make the money it needs by finishing the log beds?  And will Claudia and her cousins get away with their new, sexy dresses or will they be in for the biggest punishment of their lives?

_____

Tune in to Meet the Hutterites: Show Me the Money! tonight, Tuesday, July 10th at 10P et/pt.

Comments

1. Qroberts
    USA
    July 10, 2012, 9:03 pm

I really dislike the format of this show. I was expecting a true documentary about the Hutterites because this is NATGEO. These scripted responses and made-up dilemmas are the stuff of reality televsion. NATGEO viewers are more thoughtful and intelligent than this and I am not sure that the way of life practiced by the Hutterites is best portrayed in this way.

2. John Smithers
    Indiana
    July 10, 2012, 10:07 pm

I think this is an awesome show. It’s an interesting look into a subculture that exists within the larger American culture. All of the different personalities also make the show very captivating, as each has their own story to tell. Claudia the rebel, who some might see as an Agent of Change for the colony and the epitome of a strong independent woman, and Wesley the college graduate, encouraging the modernization of the colony.

3. Ryan
    tampa
    July 10, 2012, 11:34 pm

I like the show. Someone send Wesley a free copy of “The China Study” I hope he makes it through the season.

4. Nicole
    July 10, 2012, 11:42 pm

First…off i love the show…..this show was very gd….i love the way bertha put those girls in check……

5. jackie johnson
    san diego, ca
    July 10, 2012, 11:56 pm

love the show and I love Wesley and Bertha and Claudia
    keep the good shows coming……………

6. Dan Pueppke
    Alexandria, SD USA
    July 11, 2012, 12:00 am

Wow, I first started watching and thought it would be interesting since we have a half dozen Hutterite colonies very close.

You are really pushing the limits of believability with the recent episodes. Our colonies are progressive and embrace technology but all the crap with Claudia wouldn’t really happen.

You should have your script writers do a little more research. Our local Hutterites think it is a total fabrication.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Nicki
    Dallas
    July 11, 2012, 12:08 am

I do feel for Claudia but she is worldly already she wears makeup and at some point had her lip pierced, can we get real ppl?

8. Eric Bates
    Carthage NC USA
    July 11, 2012, 12:11 am

Why does it sound like the people in this show read from Q-cards???? And if they are, How hard was it to get them to be TV ready???? Ha what a fun job.. I want to do it too

9. Lora York
    Redding
    July 11, 2012, 12:56 am

You looked absolutely beautiful all dressed up Claudia!!
    Love the show and all of you are pretty neat people…:)

10. susan stevenson
    NC
    July 11, 2012, 3:22 am

Being from Amish and Mennonite country in Pa. I’m loving this show..and look forward to new episodes.
    I really admire Marvin and his brother Toby.
    Marvin is a good leader…

Bertha is having a hard time with her kids…I think maybe she might have overindulged them because of the loss of her husband and no father in the house.
    Bertha’s respect in the community is in jeopardy because of them.
    You have to have some sympathy for Bertha.

All in all I like most of the colony members..
    in a world with less and less convictions and respect for family and traditions and the work ethic…the show is timely.

11. susan stevenson
    July 11, 2012, 3:25 am

I’d sure like to have that recipe for “egg patties”.
    lol

Will a recipe book be available?

12. Markgkda
    Hudson wi
    July 11, 2012, 12:05 pm

Some please show the guys how to cut a tree down propery. I have never seen someone chainsaw a tree as tall as some of those without using a wedge cut with a back cut to finish. Jerez

13. Julie
    america
    July 11, 2012, 12:34 pm

if the colony were smart, let the women actually go out and work! more money for the colony! that way less worries financially! the colony is fighting the old and new world! out with the old! in with the new!

14. Gail
    ND
    July 11, 2012, 7:05 pm

Claudia intrigues me. She seems like a normal American teenager who is stuck somewhere she doesn’t fit. I really look for her to leave the colony someday. If she stays she’ll be a strong leader who will no doubt update some traditions!

15. Susan
    VA
    July 11, 2012, 7:54 pm

I have watched my last episode of “Meet the Hutterites.” I went back to Bill Allard’s articles in NGM to see if there was a hint of what the show portrays. Not really. I am so unimpressed with these people of King Colony and their selfishness. Claudia is a camera hog, manipulating the camera and using the show to be bold one minute and scared of repercussions the next. The thing that strikes me is that they live in fear, with closed minds. Wesley has heart problems, and the women deny it’s his diet. Wesley and Clinton work poorly until a deadline is upon them and whine the whole time. (I would not buy a bed from those people after seeing that!) Poor Bertha seems on the verge of tears. She is so frightened. If the folks in this colony have a godly side, it’s not being shown. The constant and loud squabbling among them is abrasive. They seem to think that yelling and confronting others is the way to act. Very unpleasant people with little cooperation – at least on TV. I wouldn’t want to get to know any of them. I won’t miss this show at all.

16. Kathleen V
    NJ
    July 12, 2012, 12:06 am

Hope the show comes back for another season. Claudia you and your friend who were trying on clothes in the store looked beautiful. If the Hutterites adapted to modern day things to make life more sustainable for the colony they should also adapt to making a few lifestyle changes with regards to clothing; especially for the females. I think the Lord Himself would stick his tongue out at those God awful dresses and call in for a master tailor. Besides they are not doable for the winters you all have out there freezing your butts off in those things. Get real Hutterite elders it’s stupid, degrading, and not practical. The women don’t have to look and dress like runway models or hootchie mamas, but should be allowed to differentiate from their usual attire when necessary so they don’t look and feel out of place, ugly, or look like those old European women from photographs during the Depression era, WWI and WWII. They look like a hot mess…get them some jeans and normal type of clothing and for God’s sake they should take off those ugly scarfs when they want to and let their hair down it’s not healthy for the scalp. A few changes won’t kill you old dudes at least opt for prettier material…I love your youthful spirit Claudia don’t change your only young once.

17. Will
    July 12, 2012, 11:35 am

According to I Corinthians chapter 11, women with long hair don’t need to cover their heads, because their hair is given to them for a covering. I applaud Claudia for letting her hair down and letting the world see her god given beauty.

18. Lynda Kennedy
    July 12, 2012, 12:35 pm

I enjoy the show BUT, it is obvious that at least in some part, the show is scripted and situations manipulated. In the last episode, Claudia and her friends sneak out to sew some “English” type dresses. In one of the shots you could clearly see that a seam on Claudia’s dress was serged, There wasn’t a serger in the building, so it is obvious that either the dress was store bought or, it was made for her to further the story along. Since there was a scene where it showed them buying the fabric, my guess is that someone else made the dress.
    Just the fact that Claudia wears eye makeup all the time is pretty much a give away that this is less than an honest show.
    Please NatGeo, come clean. Is it real or is it Memorex?

19. Judy
    Ga.
    July 12, 2012, 4:12 pm

My husband and I love this show. We especially love Bertha and Claudia. We hope it comes back. Our favorite line is
    “you don’t need no i-pod” spoken by Marvin the money boss.

20. Patti
    July 12, 2012, 9:00 pm

Burning Claudia’s dress – they act like its meet the slutterites

21. One
    Florida
    July 12, 2012, 9:09 pm

Claudia makes the show!!!

22. Donna
    New Orleans
    July 12, 2012, 11:00 pm

Scripted or not, I love the show. It couldn’t be a more refreshing change from reality shows about bored celebs with heavy botox and makeup. I admire their hard work for the collective good.
    Good job NatGeo! I look forward to a Season 2!

23. RH
    MN
    July 12, 2012, 11:17 pm

The whole cast is great but Claudia and Wesley are the best. The show keeps me in stitches I would like to know how to contact the King colony and send the colony a thank you for letting us in on their world.

24. Twig
    PA
    July 13, 2012, 2:01 pm

I totally agree with Susan from VA. These people are so disrespectful to each other. I wouldn’t speak to a stranger that way! I expected a more real depiction from NATGEO. These people are selfish and act worse than many English families I know. They curse, drink, have cell phones, play video games and argue amongst themselves, what’s entertaining about that?!

25. Michelle
    South Carolina
    July 14, 2012, 10:08 am

It’s great for my husband, my middle school aged son and I to have a show we all enjoy. It is an opening for many conversation with our son, since we have the basic belief with many many differences. I myself love Bertha! She is an inspiration! May God bless her!

26. DP
    July 14, 2012, 7:37 pm

I think these are really sweet people. Of course there is some scripted parts (where the individuals narrate to the camera) that just makes the show cohesive. Come on people think about what goes into production and cut them some slack! It’s a nice show. I’ve read some of the Hutterites in other colonies have compalined about the show that their people wouldn’t do this or that. I say, we are all people just the same with the same kinds of problems. We have old German Baptists in our area and i’ve always been curious but felt too distant to even speak to them. This show changed my preconceived notions. Thanks

27. Leon Carp
    montana
    July 14, 2012, 8:33 pm

I love this show!!! Bertha is a lonely heart, she needs a man to make her love life more. Claudia needs to keep on progressing in the “ENGLISH” world. She rocks the house. The money boss needs to back off and lighten up damn it!!! Wesley needs to take better care of his health he is too young to be having these type of problems.

28. DP
    July 16, 2012, 11:41 am

To Twig in PA and Susan in VA the both of you should look in the mirror. Your overly negative assessments of these people give a very clear window into yourselves.

29. cocamp
    Alabama
    July 17, 2012, 5:09 pm

This show is odd to me. These people have so many rules about dress and who to date, and behaviors, yet they have the most foul mouths of any group claiming to be religious. I mean…Really? They should read James 3:10. I don’t like their hypocrisy.

30. Jess
    July 18, 2012, 1:03 am

check out govt farm subsidies that this colony has received, nearly $1 million since 1995

31. Pam
    Sand Springs, Oklahoma
    July 21, 2012, 8:52 pm

Love this show. I feel some of the show is scripted; but mostly true depriction of their way of life. I wish Tammy had stayed in school. Claudia has life elsewhere her destiny is calling her. Bertha , I love. She is a strong and kindly soul. I wish her peace and happiness. She deserves it.

32. The Hungarican Chick
    Oregon
    July 22, 2012, 3:15 am

I know they’re related, but I get the vibe that Wesley is a little bit in love with Claudia. I really love these folks, except for that bleary-eyed mean old man who looks like he’s about to have a heart attack because his daughter doesn’t want to quit school. I can’t believe she did, and it’s a bit horrifying to see girls give up everything like that. But I do love the personalities so very much.

33. Pat
    Charlotte, NC
    July 24, 2012, 2:36 pm

My whole family is addicted to this show! I think it’s because this is so far from our everyday lives that we somehow yearn for the simpler ways. The ‘characters’ are very likeable, but the show is clearly heavily scripted. Regardless,
    we’ll keep watching. Love this show.