Ryder, Ben and James travel to the Colorado Rockies to investigate a possible link between UFO sightings and a rash of animal mutilations and reports of abductions. Following the trail of leads, the team embarks on an adventure that takes them through the towering mountains to find the truth behind these frightening incidents.

The team begins their investigation in the small town of Salida. Going back decades, people here have reported seeing lights in the sky traveling over this desert valley. Ryder, Ben and James stop at a local diner to meet with a family that captured video of one of these objects. Brandy Edwards was six years old when she was outside playing in the yard. It was a bright, cloudless day when she looked up. Soaring high overhead was a long, white object that seemed to pulsate with light. Brandy called her father who brought out his camera to film to object. They watched it for nearly an hour as it hovered then moved, got bigger and smaller and shot out balls of light that seemed to orbit the object. Ryder, Ben and James are intrigued by the account, but are amazed at what follows. Hearing they’re in town investigating UFO sightings, others in the restaurant race to share their accounts. They hear about hovering green lights, speeding saucers and enormous objects moving among the mountains.

Thinking there might be something to this valley, the team treks to a high mountain peak to where they can overlook the San Luis Valley. Is there an explanation for all this aerial activity? The team spends the night exposed on a mountain summit trying to find out. They spot commercial airlines moving east to west and a sky full of twinkling stars and are about to give up when Ryder spots something out of the ordinary. It’s a light dancing above the mountains, but before the team can get a solid fix on the object it disappears.

Intrigued, Ryder, Ben and James head down into the valley. They meet a woman who’s built a UFO observing station and learn from her that not only are there a lot of sightings in the valley, there are also disturbing reports of cattle mutilations. They learn that after a sighting, ranchers sometime find a dead cow on their property that’s been dissected. There’s never any blood and no tracks. To them, it looks as though the animal’s been dropped from the sky.

To investigate these claims the team breaks up to meet a pair of ranchers who’ve recently found dead animals on their properties. Ben visits a rancher named Tom Miller and learns about the circumstances this long-time rancher made his discovery. Ben learns the rancher’s saved the body and Ben sets to work taking samples from the carcass. Meanwhile, Ryder and James are meeting with rancher Mike Durand. Mike takes them to where he found the body and tells them that parts of it had been removed. What’s more, Mike tells them he spotted a strange light in the sky a couple nights earlier and that now he’s worried he may find yet another mutilated animal.

The team decides they’re going to investigate and see whether they can catch a UFO in the act. They travel out onto Mike’s ranch with local investigator Chuck Zuwkowski to see if they can find an animal that’s been mutilated. They break into groups to scour the property. After passing by sites of past mutilations, the team has a frightening encounter. It’s not with a UFO, but with a mountain lion.

With samples to test the team presses ahead and learns that animal mutilations aren’t the only alarming phenomenon associated with the objects in the sky. They learn of a Colorado man named Stan Romanek who claims to have not only been abducted, but says he’s being stalking by beings from another world. The team travels to the town of Littleton to meet Stan and see whether they can learn the truth behind his incredible claims.

The team meets with Stan and learns his history with UFO’s began with a sighting then quickly snowballed into something far more serious. Stan tells the team what happened when he was abducted. There was a knock at the door and all Stan remembers is that there were three beings. They took him by the arm and the next thing he remembers is being aboard a ship enveloped in an electric blue light. Stan recounts how he found injuries on his body after the abduction and that when he was returned he had visions of shapes and mathematical formulas.

The team decides to investigate Stan’s claims of an alien stalking. They set out at night and rig the outside of his home with surveillance cameras. Ryder, Ben and James’ goal is to capture footage of whatever might be outside Stan’s home. But as the team splits up to investigate, James see something that makes him jump. Was it an alien? Or was it something else?

_____

Tune in to the premiere of Chasing UFOs: “Alien Cowboys” on Friday, July 6th at 10P et/pt.

Comments

1. Carole Van Ness
    Sparks, Nevada
    July 6, 2012, 9:36 pm

I also saw the same UFO that you covered in Salida, Colorado on July 6th. I saw it over Sacramento, California at about 9:00am on the same day, the family video taped the craft in Salida, Colo a short time later. I reported my sighting of the craft to the SacramentoBee Newspaper when I arrived to work.
    I then saw the report on TV that night of the video tape from Colorado. That has been over 15 years or more. I am very disappointed with the quality of investigations you are presenting in this series. These 3 actors or “investigators” are doing a really poor coverage and bringing out anything new. Just showing their faces in night vision with the ridiculous camera rigs, is not doing the quality of a show that I expect from National Geographic. Such a waste with really poor direction and documentary filming.

2. James
    Bremerton WA
    July 6, 2012, 9:38 pm

Hello,

I lived in Colorado, and I did see a cattle mutilation but, it wasn’t aliens. I walked up on a carcass, on my way to work and there were three rabbits working on that thing. Nibbling at it’s face and lower extremes. They like green grass, not dry grass, and from what I’ve seen, they like frozen meat. But, if you watch them chew, they work right to left or left to right and nibble off a strip of meat.

3. Mary Cross
    Vancouver, WA
    July 6, 2012, 9:56 pm

I don’t understand why you think it necessary to go out into the dark to look for cow carcasses when the rancher find them in the daytime. It’s like your are trying to make the show creepy/scary. Doesn’t work, I just change over to American Pickers. Why would you go out into unknow dangerous areas for something most of the people report seeing during the daylight hours. You loose me, I most like the interviews with the eyewitness. Those make sense. So parts of your show is not worth watching.

4. Bill
    Chicago
    July 6, 2012, 9:59 pm

Why are they looking for dead cows in the dark? I can’t stop laughing.

5. James
    Bremerton WA
    July 6, 2012, 10:09 pm

Hello,

Yea, and I’ve seen that kind of UFO, the camera’s autofocus, is focused on something closer, not farther away. Now, at the right angle, on a breezy day, a spider web will reflect some light from a certain angle. If you have a web long enough, you’ll that same reflection. It’s just that the web is close and wind is blowing, and as it stretches what would have been nearly a straight line of web between two objects about 30 to 40 feet apart the web changes the point of reflection and you get line like that. He’s trying to follow that reflection. The marks on that guy, probably smelled really bad but, that’s a camel spider bite. They don’t bite just once, especially if you’ve got one under sheets or in your shirt. They’re very nasty.

6. Alex
    Connecticut
    July 6, 2012, 10:19 pm

I was really interested in your show Chasing UFOs , until you sensationalized the ET looking thru the window. You made it look like in next weeks episode you had captured an ET on camera. All week long you advertised it and I really was looking forward to seeing it. So you hoaxed your viewers and basically lied to your viewers.
    Well you lost this viewer and all interest in your show.
    My friends feel the same. So the hell with this bs show. I won’t be seeing it no longer.
    TY for the lies.

7. Old Redneck Cowboy
    Colorado/Wyoming
    July 6, 2012, 11:03 pm

We had a lot of cattle mutilations in Northern Colorado and Southern Wyoming back in the 70’s. While some may want to believe “space people” are responsible, I would like to point out one little tidbit of information these mystery writers omit from their stories. Insurance companies do not pay for cattle killed by natural causes. Mutilated by “space people”, yep, it’s covered. Now if you were a rancher and every cow represented a good chunk of revenue, what would you do? Cow died, take the loss or slice out its rectum and claim the space people got it.

Sometimes the most likely answer is the most obvious.

8. Sean P. Woods
    Niagara Falls, NY
    July 6, 2012, 11:44 pm

If you wanted us to take your show seriously than why put in a hoax!! How can I believe anything you show us now? I will always think it’s a hoax or bullship just to boost your ratings. Your going to need to take a much more serious and scientific approach from now on to regain out confidence that the format of the show has changed. No more junk for laughs make it legit or just cancel the show because viewers will tune you out.

9. maxx128
    NY
    July 7, 2012, 12:40 am

WTF. Why are they whispering? I don’t think a UFO can hear them.

10. candymay
    Lyons Colorado
    July 7, 2012, 8:15 pm

We camp a lot near salida colorado in the natl forrest and have seen a very similar UFO to the bright light that quickly takes off video in your episode. It was a very dark. no moon light and it was far away. We watched it for at least 30 minutes hovering dipping down and coming back up very fast, In a second it was just gone but in a horizontal direction very fast. There were odd light patterns as well. Since we camp in the same place from spring through fall we have continued to search for a star in the same place but have never seen anything similar. We had a very good point of reference as well. We have seen Blackhawk helicopters at the Buena Vista airport but this was so unlike any helicopter we have ever seen. Amazing to learn that this is not an uncommon situation in the area. Great episode!

11. Chad
    Anaheim
    July 8, 2012, 2:15 pm

What a dirty little trick with the mask. Come on, what a waste of air time and my time. That will be the last time I watch this show. It was great in the beginning, but once you start creating hoaxes like that. Im done with it. Good bye

12. jim
    new york state
    July 10, 2012, 3:52 am

I am glad to see that I am not the first to feel this way. Anytime you present an “experience” as real no matter how briefly, that is a hoax and not an experiment.

13. Tom
    denver
    July 13, 2012, 11:43 pm

I remember, as a kid, I used to get so excited to hear the National Geographic theme music come from the television. It meant an extraordinary program of nature, science, or exploration would soon entertain us.
    I cannot say I felt the same way after watching ‘Chasing UFO’s on the NGC. Your foray into comedy was a complete failure. Maybe it’s because I’m not into slapstick.

14. RJ
    RI
    July 19, 2012, 11:48 pm

The Wow signal is right! The results are in…. My advice is to run away from this show as if your life depended on it Truth in reporting is dead and this is proof… It’s obvious, N.G. is looking for ratings as it has completely sold out. This is the investigative version of American Idol. Don’t believe me? I ask you this, What type of investigators search the ground at night for physical evidence?
    I didn’t realize N.G. was trying to make a reality version of 3rd Rock From the Sun. Bravo N.G.! If that’s your best shot at UFO investigation, I suggest you air this series instead…. Chasing UFO’s meets Ghost Hunters… You could rename it “Hunters Chasing UFO Ghosts”. Set up the hot chick with Zak and investigate if ghosts or UFO’s are to blame for the “Jersey Shore”….. or more importantly, Snookie’s pregnancy and possible other worldly offspring.

15. Amy
    Dallas, Texas
    July 25, 2012, 8:28 am

The alleged Salida, Colorado UFO was SPIDER SILK! You want more footage of these “objects”, I’ll give you a ton. Better yet, take your video camera out in the morning, find a spider web floating overhead and start shooting. I see these so-called “UFO’s” every sunny morning between my trees, bushes and houses. I took videos of spider silk reflecting sunlight and presented it to the UFO community many years ago including Mr.l Edwards but he poo-pooed it. Try – [website redacted] in the “Spider Silk” section. If you want more alleged UFO’s that are really IFO’s, I’ve got YEARS of footage. Walk the walk before you talk the talk, NatGeo. I’m ashamed of you!

16. Shame On You
    Planet Earth
    August 2, 2012, 12:27 pm

Shame on all you whiners for complaining about the show, episodes, and anything else. You are lucky to even have a show that deals with this subject in these censored times. If they have to mix in a little Hollywood to sell ads and the show then so be it. I’d rather deal with a little sensationalism here and there than have none of this type of content at all on tv. So get off your high horse, its really quite boring and childish.