The team travels to the central California town of Fresno where frightened residents say they are being watched after they recorded a strange craft patrolling the skies. Trying to find an explanation for what these people saw, Ryder, Ben and James hear rumors of a secret military base that people suspect may be housing these mysterious craft. The search for the truth leads the team underground where they discover evidence of an underground facility. But does the team push their quest too far when they set their sights on a local military base rumored to be home to these top-secret aircraft?

The investigation begins with a video of what looks like a triangular craft moving silently over a Fresno neighborhood. They go to visit the woman who shot it to get more details and learn that she wants to remain anonymous because she believes she’s been followed ever since the sighting. The woman suspects the craft has something to do with the military and that she’s heard rumors of a secret base where they’re developing experimental craft engineered from alien hardware.

Looking to confirm whether these silent craft are alien or not, Ryder, Ben and James travel just outside of Fresno, to the small town of Kerman to meet with a retired police officer who had an incredible encounter. It was 1978 and Officer Manuel Amparano was out on patrol when he noticed what looked like a fire burning in a local orchard. When he arrived on scene, Amparano saw a glowing orb hovering over the trees. Amparano tells the team he watched it for several minutes before it grew brighter and shot out sparks. The discharged left him burned on his face and hands. The testimony convinces the team that something strange is indeed going on in this area, but what it is no one is sure.

Trying to gather more information, the team meets with a local paranormal investigator named Jeffrey Gonzalez. To their surprise, Jeffrey tells the team he too is being watched. He’s so unnerved by the surveillance he’s installed cameras around his home to watch from intruders. Jeffrey tells them they’re on the right trail and helps them piece together the clues. He even agrees to take them to a site where he’s heard of secret underground tunnels. Anxious to investigate the rumor, the team heads out to the location and discovers that they may also have been followed.

Under the cover of darkness, the team heads into the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains to search for these alleged tunnels. While Ben and Ryder set off across the rugged terrain to look for evidence of military activity, James and Jeffrey set out to find this underground facility. After hiking down into a canyon, James and Jeffrey come across a fence. They scale it and discover an opening leading into a mountain. They enter an enormous tunnel and follow it back only to find it ends with a heavy metal door.  Using his Geiger counter, James finds there’s a strong radiation source located behind the door, but a noise outside forces them to leave before they can investigate further.

Now convinced they’re on a trajectory to explain these sightings and whether there really is a top secret program to reverse engineer alien hardware, the team meets with another couple who claim to have even more information. Jamar Spicer and Cholee Ramasatavery show them video of this strange triangle hovering above their home. What’s more, they divulge information about a secret base located near the airport.

Under cover of night, Ryder, Ben and James make their way across a field to the location of this supposed base. But before they can get much further, a security force spots them. Have they pushed their luck too far? Will they be able to evade capture? And will the team be able to uncover the truth of what’s going on here in Fresno?

Find out tonight at 10P in Chasing UFOs: Dirty Secrets

Comments

1. carol le seure
    illinois
    June 29, 2012, 5:08 pm

I just watched the promo for your show
    Chasing UFOs: The Truth is Out There.

How can you sleep at night?

Carol Le Seure

2. John Schreiner
    Northern California
    June 29, 2012, 8:50 pm

Finding big foot meets Ghost Adventurers:

The only redeeming factor of the show is the modicum of skeptism. We have an alleged scientist who’s description includes Nuclear Scientist, GeoScientist and Physical Scientist so what University or Universities did he attend and exactly what is the nature of his degree? And we have Ryder who is a tech expert by virtue of the fact that she has used some night vision cameras? And then we have the UFOlogist who lends so much credibility to the show by shouting expletives to mandate that the audio portion of the recording be bleeped. I really expected more out of the show

3. John
    Maryland
    June 29, 2012, 9:04 pm

i like the show but had to turn it off. I feel like I’ve spent the last hour watching commercials, with short UFO clips. I won’t waste my time again.

4. Mark McCandlish
    Redding, California
    June 29, 2012, 9:19 pm

I have met James Fox and know him to be a sincere investigator. But what’s with the “babe” Erin Ryder? And what’s with the stupid outfit? Gloves with no fingers? And this lends credence to the show how? Shame on you Nat Geo, you’ve taken a page out of the regular network’s play book for “ratings”. Area 51? Old news. Want real UFO footage? Come to northern California and bring some high end night vision equipment. The underground base operating in the Trinity National Forest (west of Redding) exploits the frequent and regularly scheduledt chemtrailing as a means of obscuring flight operations (regular as clock work) every Sunday night to Monday morning and Thursday Friday for the end of the week return of the fleet. They have everything from little red orbs to 500 foot saucers to cigar-shaped craft hundreds of feet long. You don’t know what you’re missing.

5. ray
    new jersey
    June 29, 2012, 9:53 pm

I was realy disappointed; whats with the night shot why is all investigations done at night with night vision eguipment .like when they did the investigation of that 1891 crash for debri why not at day in one word .BORING.

6. Steve Jeffryes
    June 29, 2012, 10:24 pm

Wow! What a load of crap this show is. A lot of running around in the dark with IR cameras, whispering when there is no one else around, videos of dry cleaner bag balloons lit by candles (this trick is over 40 years old, I saw it when I was in high school) with no mention that it might be only that. This kind of show can only damage the reputation and respect of the National Graphic Society.

7. Richard
    North Carolina
    June 29, 2012, 10:41 pm

What total B S. I thought Nat Geo was a respected credible organization. After watching this theater I’ll never trust another article from the magazine or television show they produce. The “investigators” for some reason always feel the need to investigate sightings only at night. They have a camera crew filming them but don’t acknowledge this fact. Too much drama and no true scientific fact finding. Next time I’ll watch the Sci-Fi channel.

8. Brian machado
    New Hampshire
    June 29, 2012, 10:46 pm

NatGeo has managed what I thought was impossible: To replace UFO HUnters as the worst UFO show ever.
    NatGeo should stick to nature shows which it does well. I find it hard to believe you stole the format of the worst UFO show ever and managed to make it worse.

9. goodwinmargie
    florida
    June 29, 2012, 10:54 pm

Earth is a spiritual prison.
    alll those UFO’s –prison guards!!

10. Jeremy
    Louisiana
    June 29, 2012, 11:27 pm

Okay, the girl is standing outside of the fence of the airport and is like, “I’m going to see if I can get over the fence and find anything”. She climbs over the wire fence, takes a look around and is like, “There’s definitely something strange going on here!”…….ummm, really? So, by climbing over the see-through, wire fence and standing directly on the other side (she was probably only about 5 feet closer to the airport), you could instantly see that something suspicious was going on? This show is stupid as hell!!!

11. Bill
    Notrth Carolina
    June 29, 2012, 11:30 pm

Contrived phony drama, same fomula of all these investigative reality shows. Run around in the dark only to prove nothing in the end. Seriously???

12. Brandon Briskin
    Fresno
    June 30, 2012, 2:27 am

Haha that’s me at the gate!!!

13. Danielle Smith
    fresno ca
    June 30, 2012, 2:59 am

The show is cool. I am a avid ufo hunter but please do your home work better. The reason there was a military helicopter at the fresno airport is because the airport shares the property with a small military base. But with thay said i used to park my old nova out there and lay on the hood to look in to the night sky. I have seen many unexplained lights in the sky. But since 911 you can not get to the good spots any more. Also why i think that whole airport segment was fake. There is no way in heck Ryder actually jumped a fence in to a military base.

14. Mary
    June 30, 2012, 9:31 am

My comment was meant to go under the Chasing UFOs blog- I haven’t seen the Dirty Secrets show.

15. Mike
    Tulsa, Ok
    June 30, 2012, 10:30 am

Your program was a waste of my time.

16. Bob
    Calif
    June 30, 2012, 12:33 pm

Ok I watched episode 5 central california. At first it appeared to be interesting. Then it went wrong! They were sneaking around the national guard base at the Fresno Airport. They spotted some military personal standing in a doorway. They were actually at the north end of the airport where the CHP Air Operations hanger is . That was a CHP Officer! The show is lame. Then they filmed military helicopter taking off and circling. That was also the CHP helicopter probably looking for the goof sneaking around the airport or just going to a call. This show sucks.

17. Snake Plissken
    Fresno
    June 30, 2012, 4:26 pm

You are looking in the wrong place.

18. reality 4u
    So. Texas
    June 30, 2012, 7:48 pm

I was looking forward to this show as Nat Geo was involved. Huge disappointment, and I don’t see it getting any better. Tech and Recon? Please…

19. Dennis Kirkpatrick
    June 30, 2012, 8:09 pm

Typical trash insulting

20. Laura
    LaGrangeville, NY
    June 30, 2012, 10:01 pm

Why ard they looking for debris from 100 years ago at night. Might be easier to find stuff on the ground in the daylight. Not. very scientific. But is entertaining.

21. Jay Barry
    June 30, 2012, 11:11 pm

Tell the woman driving the Tahoe to put her hands on the steering wheel when she is driving.

22. Stephan
    Albuquerque, NM
    June 30, 2012, 11:55 pm

Overly dramatic. I mean come on, you’re on public property and you see a military helicopter in the sky and you have to hide under a tree? PLEASE. As far as the underground installation he says “we’re going to resolve this tonight one way or the other”, What was resolved? What happened to the camera you left on the mountain? No results? That’s cool but don’t leave us hanging. Ryder says “we couldn’t find any information on all the white vans we saw”, From what I saw on the show you only saw one white van and unless you have access to government data bases you’re not going to get any info on license plates. The vehicle on the side of the hill at night looked like a station wagon to me, possibly a family out wildlife spotting or some kids in mom’s car looking for a place to party and saw something unusual (the UFO chasers?) and slowed to check it out. Everything just seemed WAY OVER DRAMATIZED FOR TV. Ryder is HOT though. Just goes to show that with some expensive equipment, a basic plot, and a hot chick you can get anything on tv!!!!

23. Lee
    Detroit
    July 1, 2012, 12:57 am

Can I get a job with this crew? Seems like they are getting paid to produce a whole lot of hype with very little credible evidence.

And let’s get real…. if you want to hide in the dark, don’t run around with light sources turned on yourself when the people who are looking for you are most likely using night vision and/or IR themselves. But I guess that wouldn’t make very good hype (excuse me-TV)

Oh, nice editing too. I like it how the shot of the one UFO transiting the moon was almost completely edited out.

24. Matt
    Fresno
    July 1, 2012, 9:15 pm

This show is misleading and fake. I’m from Fresno. The airport is surrounded by heavily populated inner city. It contains Air National Guard and Army National Guard bases. You can’t drive by without seeing the signs. Ryder didn’t climb over the airport fence. It was the fence surrounding the property next to the airport. Why did the producers feel the need to script the show and totally mislead the audience? There was no need to do this.

25. Leforge
    New Zeland
    July 2, 2012, 11:35 am

Wow. I guess I`ll have to reevaluate the credibility of National Geographic programs, after watching this crap.
    No surprises that this show, demonstrates that NG, does what its told….. like the rest of us.

26. Damnthetorpedos
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    July 3, 2012, 10:03 am

Thanks for making ufology look like a load of crap. More expletives, yelling, hooting and hollaring please. No wonder the government doesn’t want “The Truth” to be known. For the simple reason that people will react like you fools did. Leave ufology to the real experts with the driving passion and credibility it actually deservies. NAT GEO YOU MAKE ME SICK!

27. Martin
    Canada
    July 4, 2012, 11:48 pm

This show is a load of crap. National Geographic should be ASHAMED to to be airing that pile of you know what. The executives that okayed this should be shown the door, or muted to the “History” channel. I really hope Nat Geo isn’t in that reality tv race to the bottom for the trashiest crap and viewers.

Seriously, this is disgusting. Heads should roll.

28. Really?
    July 5, 2012, 11:19 am

This has to be the lamest show I have ever seen. Lost in Space had more scientific info. Peeking around a corner with a boom mounted camera on your shoulder? Hopping fences like high school kids? They should have been arrested for trespassing. What do you think a fence is for? When they heard a noise at the end of the tunnel the only thing missing was… “danger, danger, Will Robinson”. I don’t typically post on shows, but after wasting 2 hours watching these first episodes I was compelled to. What a load of crap!

29. Laughing in SD
    July 6, 2012, 6:07 pm

I was very interested to watch this show when I saw it advertised. What an insult. I will continue to watch, but only to see how low Nat Geo will go for ratings. It has become a comedy. I’m guessing that by episode 5, aliens will strip Ryder to her panties. I anxiously await Southpark’s take on this show.

30. T$
    July 6, 2012, 10:18 pm

They wear a camera attached to their head pointed at their face. Try pointing away from you at the sky guys… jokers. get real :(

31. Bane Of Religion
    California
    July 7, 2012, 4:11 am

You know, if this were a little more careful about details, it would be more believable. I’m not too sure it is real, and i can’t say that i don’t believe SOME of the things shown on this show. The main thing you other bloggers should keep in mind, is that that these shows are still part of a big organization. The media. It is all apart of a system designed to distract and misinform. They could very well have some truth. And thats all you need. SOME truth. Just sprinkle a little bit in there and watch all the ratings rise. You know what, i can say that i think that there are some other things in our galaxy, but that’s only because it has been force fed and raped into my brain. Whether it be true or not. We are pushed and forced to believe things. Because not believing in certain things, makes you different. And that’s not always good. It’s not always good to ignore all the so-called “evidence” because then you become delusional, or ignorant.
    Just saying, epistemology is a mother. We really don’t know.

32. Sam
    July 7, 2012, 4:43 am

I am extremely happy to see that pretty much every entire comment here is conveying how much they believe this show is garbage. I hope with more bad reviews that this show will die off and never be seen again. Also, NatGeo, if you were trying to decrease the credibility of your organization, good job, keep pumping out more shows like this and I am sure you will be the new town idiot.

33. Paid Subscriber
    July 7, 2012, 9:37 am

I used to be a subscriber to your magazine, both print and online, but after my kids being exposed to this excuse of a show (alien meets ghost hunter) I have cancelled my subscription. I will be switching my kids to Discovery instead. First they came for the History Channel, with shows about truck drivers on ice, to people cutting trees down, and now they have come for National Geographic with ghost hunter shows about aliens. I don’t want my kids exposed to these reality drama shows. If I did, I would let them watch MTV Jersey Shore and Travel Channel/Sci Fi’s ghost shows.

34. Gary
    Michigan
    July 7, 2012, 11:12 am

Wow this show is horrible! I cant believe this load of crap is on nat geo! Please tell me nat geo your not going the way of “history” channel, that would be so dissapointing.

35. Curtis
    Fresno
    July 7, 2012, 1:16 pm

This show is another example some producer being talked into a dumb idea. Most everybody has experiences that they can’t explain, but that doesn’t mean much since our eyes and ears often play tricks on us, especially in the dark. I live in Fresno and I found it a joke in this episode that they walked into a hydraulic facility or as they called it, “a mysterious tunnel with mysterious humming’. This type of ignorant drama helps me to know this show has no credibility and should be promoted only for little children still too young to know any better, or to people with an IQ similar to that of peanut.

36. Lee
    Detroit
    July 7, 2012, 10:11 pm

OK, I actually watched this again. I might stick with it just for the humor factor.

I like Ryder, she’s got spunk. But please have someone teach her how to use the clamps on a tripod, and how to focus a camera. It was obvious her “fast moving light was a tripod slip, and a focused image would have revealed a clear set of aviation strobes instead of a blurry, pulsating blob.

37. james
    San Angelo Tx,
    July 12, 2012, 7:44 pm

Shame shame shame. I cant even begin to tell you folks how truly my whole family has been disappointed. after all of the hipe and after seeing Mr.Fox’ documentaries. What a let down aka buzzkill. I see natgeo going the way of TLC . It used to be good years ago.

38. john doe
    July 13, 2012, 5:53 pm

Hey guys next time you go sneaking around a military area show the video to the military around there. If you word the questions right they will tell you whether or not they know about it. if they say they know about it it means that us or joint allies have something in the skies but they can’t do any more than be vague. that triangle video is because that was one of our unmanned aircrafts coming in from overseas. all of our aircrafts have to have lights in certain places for identifying our crafts and their directions and placements. you can tell what it is by the distance between the tips and the tail and where the red light is placed within them.

39. Laurie Schena
    Salem, New Hampshire
    July 14, 2012, 11:21 am

No kidding! What a bogus show! Here they are trying to find “evidence” and running all over looking and looking. They come upon these ex military people with the most incredible stories of being involved in actually excavating supposed crash sites, actually seeing dead alien bodies, or having seen President Eisenhower going into a craft for a meeting and all we get is about 2 minutes worth of the interview!!!
    Hello??? Here’s an idea – how about staying put and investigating these people and their firsthand stories??? Right there are hours worth of solid content they could be investigating these stories alone!! They get a firsthand account of these stories and after the guy says he actually saw bodies- the interview ends and they decide it worthwhile to go off to some remote mountain hoping for a sighting!! This show is so bogus!! What a waste of time!!

40. Shawn Clarady
    August 4, 2012, 12:10 am

National Geographic lets have less of (something touched my leg! And What was that! and more fact finding. The way it is now the show is a joke. This looks like something that should be on Adult Swim not National Geographic.. Or has the Government payed you to make a joke of UFOs to try to debunk them?

41. dahobbs
    SE OHIO
    August 11, 2012, 9:14 pm

go back to her job. I wish NATGEO would do a poll to see who wants this crap gone and bring back the UFO HUNTERS and give them as much rope as u gave “ryder” and her posse.

NATGEO PLEASE PUT THIS SHOW OUT OF IT’S (and OUR) MISERY! BRING BACK THE “UFO HUNTERS” with B.B. of UFO MAGAZINE at the end

42. David L.
    San Diego, CA
    August 22, 2012, 5:24 pm

This show isn’t very scientific. Little in the way of facts and investigations, but way too much running around in the dark and interviewing witnesses who swear everything came from outer space.

43. Gord Seifert
    Chilliwack, BC
    September 27, 2012, 3:05 pm

Nat Geo, regarding the Dirty Secrets episode, I would have thought that you would realize that when people are running around at night in the cold (snow on the ground cold) there would be absolutely no crickets chirping or katydids singing. Those are summertime sounds!

Regarding the rest of the series, it is a complete disappointment. Just another show that asks questions like ‘Could it be that’ or ‘Is it possible that’ and never answers anything. Lame.

Regarding ‘Rider’, I can not stand to look at her ridiculous, pasted on, look of deep concern any longer. She actually has quite an attractive smile as seen in ‘Replying to the Wow Signal’. Too bad it is never seen in Chasing UFOs, it might make the show marginally watchable.

44. Gord Seifert
    Chilliwack, BC
    September 27, 2012, 4:10 pm

I just discovered that my comment about crickets and katydid sound effects applies to the episode on Cattle Mutilation, not Dirty Secrets. But I am sure that the editors will continue to paste in whatever sound effects they have at hand, whether they are applicable or not, in future episodes,

The rest of my comments apply to any episode.

45. Cliff
    oregon
    September 29, 2012, 12:32 pm

watched part of the show where the cougar was stocking them, the come to this conclusion over a set of tracks with 4 toes aka dog as a true cat has 5 toes, experts?

46. gary paquin
    kingston
    October 10, 2012, 3:22 pm

Saw one episode. Laughed myself silly. Out in the middle of the Everglades, a million mosquitoes per square inch, and she’s wearing shorts, all to watch a flashing light that was probably a communications tower. Interview with astronaut Edgar who believes he was cured of cancer long distance by a teenage dreamhealer. Stuff legends are made of. Ufos?

47. Ben
    Netherlands
    November 15, 2012, 9:01 am

Who commes up with this kind of stupid time and money waste awfulness ?
    Really please… let them stop, and lets go back to good programs

48. Adrian
    Netherlands
    November 21, 2012, 4:28 pm

This show hasn’t got credibility at all. NG really blew it this time. Also I’m quite cross with those aliens who never bother to show up when I’m out in the field with my telescope.

49. Pathetic BS FromNatGeo
    Area 51
    December 1, 2012, 9:27 pm

How much farther down can N.G stoop? This crap should be shown only on that garbage TRU-TV. How long will it be before the once respected and highly revered N.G. magazine falls to these depths? This tripe is the reason I stopped watching TV over 10 years ago.

BTW- The writers of Paranormal Act.5 called, they need some ideas for another BS script.

50. papas
    South africa
    January 9, 2013, 3:37 am

Insultingly stupid show!

51. Carl
    Canada
    January 13, 2013, 12:25 am

I’m sure that they’ll combine this show with storage wars next season where alien artifacts will be auctioned on when the next locker comes up for bid. Yuuup!