“The Skeliever”

Lara Croft.  Amelia Earhart. Dana Scully. Whether in fiction or nonfiction, there are few hard-hitting, tough-as-nails females as fearless as Erin Ryder, or Ryder, as she prefers to be called. Her unique perspective, competitive nature and determination to undercover the truth have taken her around the globe to research claims of the strange and mysterious.

Ryder’s impressive resume includes rafting the world’s largest waterfall, rappelling the Great Wall of China and scaling glaciers in Antarctica. In Chasing UFOs, she exhibits this same all-out approach and adventurous spirit while climbing a 50-foot tree untethered and photographing an unidentified flying object that might just be the real thing!

Her aggressive pursuit of the truth includes not only daring athletic feats but a zealous passion for research. Ryder’s deep desire for knowledge helps her serve as the show’s barometer, weighing the facts surrounding her co-hosts’ opposite points of view. Ryder considers herself a “skeliever,” as she falls somewhere between a skeptic and a believer. Deep down she wants to be convinced, but she will need to see the hard evidence first.

Ryder is a force to be reckoned with not only for her brains and brawn, but also for her industry-leading knowledge of all things tech.  Her years of experience investigating unsubstantiated claims make her an expert in the field of alien/ghost-hunting technology.  Ryder “geeks out” over thermal cameras, Geiger counters and night vision scopes and can’t wait to use the latest technology to investigate new and old UFO cases alike.  And her skills behind and in front of the camera serve her well as one of the executive producers on the series.

Don’t miss the series premiere of Chasing UFOs this Friday with back-to-back episodes at 9P and 10P.

Comments

1. michael saucier
    chasing ufos episode 3
    June 29, 2012, 1:09 am

i have seen 100% the missel drop. this is inaccurate. if you email me i can tell you how this happens. i have seen it for myself. this took place in broad daylight. please contact me and leave a phone number because i am not very good on computers. thank you for your valuable time. michael

2. mike offenhauser
    NC USA
    June 29, 2012, 8:36 pm

I’ve been a Nat Geo member for several years and I am shocked that the society has dumbed itself down by airing this 3rd rate extra cheesy so-called reality show. The hosts are TV star wannabes that lack any creditability and female host is the most bogus of them all. Can I get a refund if I cancel my membership? A waste of the society’s funds!

3. gmh
    Tx
    June 29, 2012, 11:13 pm

If you dont like shows o UFO’s? dont watch it!
    This women gives me a reason to live now.
    I saw the Phoenix lights and a triangle ufo in 1974
    Living in AZ many years I have seen lots of strange stuff I cant explian i the air.
    need more episodes!

4. Teri Cooper Brown
    Atlanta
    June 30, 2012, 1:21 pm

Ryder – Are you trying to do “Destination Truth” with UFOs? :-( PLEASE review History Channel’s “UFO Hunters” videos. They treated each investigation like a scientific research project – – – they relied on established experts to analyze & validate UFO videos, talked to multiple witnesses and had a military pilot as a show regular. Bill Birnes was a crime writer, so his professional journalism and UFO knowledge really helped. You assume that your audience lacks sophistication and intelligence. Instead, most of us already have a wealth of knowledge and have done research on UFOs. WHY are you tromping through the woods looking for alien craft – – just sit down and LOOK UP!!!! Or, find a hot spot, set-up a camera, leave it there, and later review the images. Seems downright silly to run around at night saying, “What was THAT!!!???” when there are already plenty of sightings with multiple, reliable witnesses and video. Talk to some of the NASA astronauts who say UFOs and aliens exists. Investigate and interview events witnessed by airline pilots, former military pilots, international military pilots,etc.

If you need help or suggestions, I’m a fulltime freelance writer, published in the Washington Post, et.al., and I’d be glad to help.

5. mike sailer
    MN,USA
    June 30, 2012, 9:11 pm

I look forward to checking this out. Ryder was and is a great addition to Destination Truth. Good luck on the new show and I hope to get to know the others on the show too. Don’t take whatmike offenwrong says. He probably Don’t even know where on earth Florida is. Take care and good luck. Mike from MN.

6. bruce electro
    SC
    July 1, 2012, 12:37 pm

I liked the show, and would like to see it continue.
    First time watching Nat Geo. I just don’t understand, when they got a UFO on film in Texas, why they did not chase it??

7. Barry Bazzell
    TN
    July 2, 2012, 8:24 pm

Even documentaries have some entertainment value, so why not add a little spice to a very serious subject in UFO Chasers? The “5%” of truly unknown flying and submersible objects warrant serious scientific study. People from all walks of life are seeing something in a frequency that appears proportionate to the recording technology available to the public, viz., cell phones, video recorders, and so forth, to capture such events. I like UFO Chasers, and I respect the relatively recent work by Mr. Fox: I know What I Saw. Overlook the entertainment formula for the show if you do not care for it, but you cannot overlook the case studies or methodology used to conduct the investigation.

8. Miz Rodriguez
    Maitland ,fl
    July 7, 2012, 1:02 am

UFO chasers is an insult to the intellectual fans of national geographic ! The station has jumped the shark!

9. Jason Goldtrap
    Davenport, Florida
    July 7, 2012, 1:37 pm

This show is in a tight race with “Haunted Highway” to become the stupidist show on television. Don’t leave the tech stuff to the boys? Ok, fair enough, Will Nat Geo allow a host to say they can’t leave the tech stuff to the girls? Probably not.

10. Stephen
    July 11, 2012, 2:57 pm

Moderator just saved your sorry behind Erin Ryder… they are quick to cover up your short comings.

11. Sharon
    Arizona
    July 12, 2012, 2:50 am

I just watched an episode of UFO Chasers tonight with my 8 year old grandson and we likely will not watch another one based on the limited vocabulary of the “chasers.” If the only way they can express ANYTHING is with a word that must be “bleeped,” they have no business on television. Please continue the research — it’s truly a fascinating subject — but please let the information be presented by someone who can “use their words”!

12. Stephen
    July 12, 2012, 11:52 am

@ Sharon

I couldn’t agree with you more, this Ryder woman is an absolute disgrace, she needs to get off TV all together. They show nothing substantial and it’s a complete waste of time this show.

If you wish to watch something with a little more factual (which means you can research this on your own to double check and verify) show, then look for Ancient Aliens, I’m sure there would be much more interesting concepts and revelations for you and your 8 year old grandson.

13. The Most Interesting Man In The Word
    Roswell
    July 14, 2012, 12:06 am

I don’t always watch U.F.O. shows, but when I do, I prefer Bonita Mu Cha Cha Ryder. Te Kero Mucho!! ;-)

14. Dr. Van Laningham
    Washington D.C.
    July 14, 2012, 12:22 am

Pleasant change from the usual saucer shows. Enjoy the down to earth approach without all the boring factual wannabee’s. It’s about time someone broke out the metal detectors. It would be nice to know if that button had any kind of trace evidence on it, hope you have it tested out and let us know! Thanks for a good show that adds a little bit of real adventure for once vs. those grainy video You Tube reruns! I can even appreciate the down home cast with the colorful vocabulary, it adds a nice touch of “real life” humanity of how the guy next door would react in the same scenario’s. Keep up the good work and thanks to Nat Geo for once again taking some risk and stepping outside the box to entertain and enlighten the viewers.

15. Vincent M. Calenda
    NY Queens Far Rockaway
    July 14, 2012, 12:41 am

To Erin Ryder i have some information and something i developed that will help you show everyone that aliens are living on earth doesn’t matter to me weather you want to believe me or not but i say i have stumbled on something that involves the WOW signal as well as who may have sent it if my findings are correct then its something you will want to go after and i can provide you with the means to do so you being a tachi i know you will be able to see if i am lying right away when i show you the blue prints and explain the workings of the device i have developed

16. brad
    iowa
    July 14, 2012, 12:21 pm

Your show is a joke,, you would have better luck on a ghost show, with all the funny sound you alledgdly capture and bogus street light , all set in nightime view/why is that/ you are the reason more people dont belive in UFO,S BECAUSE YOU JUST EXAGERATE THE TRUTH WITH phony sounds= like = did you here that and then running, OUT OD BREATH LIKE THERE WAS SOME ACTION/ OR YOUR PHONY WHITE TRUCKS=FOLLOWING YOU LIKE SECRET AGENTS//your show is a discrace to the UFO COMMMUNITY WHO TRULY DO BELIEVE IN UFO/USO,, WHAT A JOKE

17. Patrick
    California
    July 15, 2012, 1:29 am

I think it’s useful to invite an experienced amateur astronomer who knows the night sky well enough to identify: stars, planets, meteors, satellites, aircraft etc during the night observing investigations. Also, bring an expert who can interpret night vision and IR images correctly. The lack of experience amongst the team members in the above is very revealing.

18. Stephen
    URanus, and a bit to the right.
    July 17, 2012, 1:04 pm

@ Brad,

Dude, I wish there were more people like you! Truly and honestly, I agree all the way. This show is an absolute repulsively cheap $how, that twists the truth and makes up lies just to get viewers who seem to be absolutely and completely detached from the simple mechanism in our brains that can filter out lies and deceptions. Also I can’t stand that Ryder woman… She thinks she’s Lara Croft or something. “Hi, my name is Erin Ryder, people call me Ryder”. No Erin, you WANT people to call you Ryder cause that helps boost your testosterone levels. Disgraceful show. Shame on you National Geographic to sponsor such trash TV shows.

19. Steven
    July 20, 2012, 1:20 am

UFO Hunters was an excellent show; and History Channel surprisingly allowed a more researched based approach rather than succumbing to the draw of dramatic sensationalism as UFO Chasers has.

There are many things wrong with this show: most unforgiving of which the manufactured evidence and fabricated celestial footage, and let’s not forget the van that supposedly “tracked” the crew, which was actually their own van that the crew drives in.

As to this Erin Ryder, she needs to watch the language and stop video editing UFOs that she comes pre-loaded with her to the field. Besides that, she really is the wrong person for the job in my opinion. NatGeo should take a few notes from UFO Hunters; it had its flaws of course, but it was an above average production with a sincere disposition towards uncovering truth.

20. lisa
    Wisconsin
    July 20, 2012, 8:41 pm

I have my own beliefs however I’ve got no problem with these shows and nothing wrong with Ryder at all in watching both Destination Truth since the beginning and no the UFO show. Good for you Ryder! Honestly people who are talking smack about Ryder have nothing else better to do. Keep up with the great work you continue to do. I’ll stay watching. No matter what. Also I have watched the supposed rocket exploding on Fact or Faked and they did several different hoax testing. I do believe are Big Brother has alot to do with tje so called cover up in these situations however they cannot cover up every single piece of evidence.
    Im sure we do have aircrafts we are not even close to being aware of.
    For over a hundred years reports have been made similar to todays.
    The universe we live in is beyond are imagination so do believe something else is out there.
    Ryder keep doing what your doing i’ll continue to keep watching!!!

21. Joe
    LA, Ca.
    July 20, 2012, 11:12 pm

I love the concept of the new series and would be a loyal viewer if you would replace the unconvincing cast. The gutter mouthed female is annoying and is the main reason that I change channels and the other guys couldn’t act thier way out of a paper bag. Please consider recasting, it might save the show.

22. MIKE
    fla
    July 28, 2012, 8:21 am

CHECK OUT THE TETHER INCIDENT ON YOUTUBE FOR PROOF OF UFOS. AND NASA IS HIDING IT ALL FROM US AND FOOLING EVERYONE CALLING THEM ICE CRYSTALS. SINCE WHEN DOES AN ICE CRYSTAL VIBRATE? ALSO check out CROP CIRCLES. THE ALIENS ARE ALREADY COMMUNICATING WITH US AND IM SURE THE TEAM ALREADY KNOWS ABOUT IT ON UFO CHASERS, IF NOT THEN THEY ARE STUPID. I DID ALL MY RESEARCH ON THE NET AND FOUND EVERYTHING OUT.

23. Dennis
    Kansas
    July 28, 2012, 11:21 am

I watch the show mainly because of Ryder. It would be more interesting if she ran around chasing UFOs in a bikini but hey, I’m a guy…

24. Jared
    Louisiana
    July 31, 2012, 12:07 am

Please Stop using that green filter, it’s not night vision just because you color it green. At the end of most episodes you can see parts of the same footage without it, like the button in episode 3. I’m so sick of these fake shows with three or four no bodies running around scared of cows mooing and never follow the starting topic. The shoulder cam is just stupid, there is a camera crew there with lights all over the place and lights on the people on cam. Do we really have to see up their noses? Oh, and P.S. coloring the screen green is not night vision because if it was, the lights all over the would be blinding. So just use the normal film, please or I can’t stand to watch another episode. Just because you can pander to the mindless masses doesn’t mean we can’t call you on your tricks. Oh yeah, the Ryder chick has got a nice body.

25. MIKE
    florida
    August 4, 2012, 8:17 am

RYDER wants to know why the ufos disappear on cam into nothing on the august 3rd episode of ufochasers. well its a common occurrence. it appears you cant even see some of the ufos without nightvision. they commonly appear and disappear out of nowhere. materialize and dematerialize. if you check out youtube videos youll see alot of that. they apparently disappear into the infra red or uv spectrum just so that we cant see them with our own human eyes. thats just a common cloaking procedure. alot of nasa vids show this occurence. its all top secret and YES our us govt (and world govts) most probably dont want anyone to know about this or anything else about ufos. but with all the mass sightings its hard to keep it a secret. but with shows like these perhaps we wont freak out as our govt says as we come closer to full disclosure and ultimate alien contact and close encounters of first kind.

26. Aaron
    Detroit, Michigan
    August 10, 2012, 10:37 pm

The nighttime b.s. has to end. I don’t care if there are animals running around in the woods at night, or that the actors have ridiculous expressions on there faces. By the way, how many times have they wacked each other in the face with those annoying looking cameras? Stop the white water rafting and start staking out some active areas with hd cameras and time lapse photography. You can still save this show if you start spending atleast a little time actually investigating sightings.
    How about digging up the well that UFO remnants were supposedly dumped in? Do something productive and scientific. Stop wasting my time with all the cheese or I’m done watching your show. And ufo’s aren’t just seen at night, I saw one in broad daylight!

27. jean
    wa state
    August 11, 2012, 1:07 am

Why is it that all their searches of sites happen only when either they’re “running out of daylight” or it’s dark, then they leave and try to find some proof out of the nothing that they got?!

28. Topher12
    Michigan
    August 11, 2012, 10:34 am

I recently watched the episode of UFO Chasers in South America (Brazil?), Was this serious or was it a vacation episode for the team? I saw nothing of even legitimate investigation and it seemed like the team was into river rafting and cave exploring more than challenging the investigation before them.Once again Another series becomes a reality show with the excitement of one of the investigators hearing something in the jungle which turned out to be an owl???? This puts the legitimate investigation of UFO’s again as a moneymaking sideshow!!!

29. Chris
    Illinois
    August 12, 2012, 6:23 am

I believe this could be the worst produced show on TV right now! The episode in Brazil was a joke at best but the problems go a bit deeper than that.

Why is it that you have to have so much footage of the faces of the hosts during their “Chase” scenes. I am watching the show to see something about UFOs, not someones green face!

Why do they whisper so much? Are you afraid you are going to scare away the aliens you are searching for? I would think the “camp fire” would do more to scare away an alien than talking!

Get real, cut the “over drama” and go with the evidence and facts. Investigate the stories, present the facts, and eliminate the poor attempts at creating drama.

Chris

30. bam
    wisconsin
    August 12, 2012, 7:20 pm

like the show and concept, but too much over the top drama. you know your not going to find any solid evidence by runing around like a chicken with its head cut off chasing every little thing. you have to be patient and take more time. maybe get set up before dark and wait? cant find a needle in a haystack by rumaging through it as quickly as possible. need to comb through it with a fine tip brush. regardless hope you guys get some solid evidence before the gov has a chance to take it away lol

31. Patrick
    Atlanta
    August 12, 2012, 10:17 pm

Truly awful that one of America’s last few media sources for true science and culture has turned in this direction. Jumped the shark indeed.

32. Jacob
    Fresno, Ca
    August 15, 2012, 6:13 pm

To everyone that says this is bogus and fake, you haven’t seen what everyone else has that believes this stuff. I myself an my wife have seen things that just simply defy the laws of physics and what we as humans have developed. Just two years ago I had a very up close experience and my own mother doens’t believe me. But dang it, it was real and I have to live with it. So thank you to Nat Geo for giving me something to watch that shows me others are in the same boat as me. God bless

33. Jacob
    Fresno, Ca
    August 15, 2012, 6:17 pm

Geez my computer keyboard is getting terrible. Sorry for the grammatical errors.

34. mark
    Sacramento
    August 16, 2012, 6:39 pm

The show promises a lot but always fails to deliver. Unfortunately it is a waste of time and effort.

35. Don Hemet
    Las Vegas
    August 18, 2012, 8:07 pm

This has got to be the dumbest show ever produced. All hype nothing tangible. A cross between the Blair Witch Project and I Love Lucy. How can the National Geographic a one time influential magazine support such trash.

36. J
    Amerika
    August 18, 2012, 11:55 pm

Never give up team ryder the maker may give u first sight

37. John Olson
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    August 23, 2012, 2:46 pm

I love this show, and it gets better every episode. I like Ryder and the two guys. It’s interesting and fun.

38. Shuggy
    Scotland
    September 18, 2012, 7:35 pm

UFO’s? I don’t care much about them but I do believe. Erin, sorry, Ryder on the other hand gives me enough reason to watch the show. One gutsy babe.:)

39. Julie Mack
    Stanchfield m
    October 7, 2012, 6:58 am

Please contact me through my email… On my 9th video of coverage … I have proof over and over from the skies here

40. tazio
    italy
    November 15, 2012, 4:44 pm

it’s only show business,a kind of reality show… only that.. so sad to see national geographic do this type of show.. I always thought National Geographic a seroius and
    scientifically oriented organization,but obviously I was wrong
    it’s a pity

41. Mitch
    Netherlands
    November 22, 2012, 11:23 am

I’ve seen many stupid shows, but this documentary does it all! It’s sooo fake that even kids will ask questions about it.
    And Erin Ryder? She’s sooo ugly and she wants to be sooo much a celebrity. She’s acting as if she had followed a course in kindergarden. Sorry Nat Geo, but this is sooooo fake

42. robin
    brisbane australia
    November 29, 2012, 9:18 pm

I thought ok National Geographic must be a serious show investigating ufos. Don’t insult the viewers and believers. I watch it anyway for Ryder but i’m biased.

43. david
    Canada
    January 14, 2013, 6:51 am

This show is full of poop. I watched a few shows and said to my wife, why am I still watching this. The one where they were at the airport when she was hiding from ths guards the camera man was filming from the same view as the guards. She saw something in the sky and ran after it. Really? Your going to run after something in space. Why not just pan the camer over so we can all see it.
    There are many many more examples of how fake this blair witch style show is. I am a believer, but this show is just so bad.

44. DUKE RUMLEY
    MAYODAN, NC
    January 15, 2013, 5:37 am

Wow ! Another show saying “did you see / hear that” or “what was that” ? Like Mulder, I want to believe, so I keep watching all the UFO shows. Of course, this one has Ryder and she is a plus !
    Is this show coming back ? I hope so.

45. Mark
    January 15, 2013, 9:04 am

Well I have watched two episodes so far and have to say its a childerens show but dumber way dumber worst show i have scene by NG. I felt like it was like the old cartoon Scooby Doo and the Mystery Machine. But the cartoon was more realistic than this stupid show. What are you thinking of National Graphic?

46. bobmichigan
    Michigan
    December 8, 3:34 pm

Well beyond Impressed . . .