Amish: Out of Order producer Daniel Laikind recently shared his thoughts on filming tonight’s tragic episode, “Living Fast.”

“There is nothing in the reality TV producer’s handbook on how to deal with the death of a cast member of one of your shows. So when the phone rings and you are told that a teenager has died, you are forced to make some tough choices, ask people to do some difficult things and you hope to find some sort of balance between respect, responsibility and entertainment.

This week’s episode of Amish: Out of Order entitled “Living Fast” forced us to confront this very issue. And to be totally honest, I don’t exactly know how we did it or that we did it perfectly. But I do know, this was the hardest hour of television I have ever produced, and I know that the cast and crew of this episode fought through their emotions and delivered some remarkable work.

What occurred over the next few days and weeks following the news was a remarkable display of openness, access and raw emotion. We had our production team, who did have a true bond with the young man who died, fight through their own grief and show a professionalism that can’t be overstated. The rest of the cast, who are already reticent about allowing cameras into their personal lives, seemed to instantly grasp the fact that this was unique, that this was something that had to be shown and that allowing us into the process of grieving for their fallen friend would create a lasting memorial to him.”

You can read the rest of the article on fastertimes.com.

Amish: Out of Order: “Living Fast” premieres tonight at 9P et/pt.

Comments

1. Kristina Jackson
    Wichita, Kansas
    June 12, 2012, 9:31 pm

Learning of Cephas’ death was heartbreaking and the impact it had on the ex-Amish community. I was raised Catholic and have left since I could not accept some of the teachings. One thing I have come to believe through hard times is that sometimes things just happen, from that we can make an event bring positive meaning to our life or negative. I truly hope Amos continues with attending college, and you can work full time and attend college part-time or go to school full time work part time, just don’t give up, continue with school, you will do a great job in college. Also don’t be surprised if you change your major, that is the fun of college learning about yourself, even for us “English.” Keep Cehaps’ memory alive, sometimes you will swear you see his face on a passing stranger or just remember something great about him, that is him reminding you that he cares about you and his spirit lives on.

2. janet
    gulfport,ms
    June 13, 2012, 9:23 am

This show is one of my favorites. I grew up in Ohio with Amish as neighbors. This show is great to watch and see some of these kids move on an make life changing decisions.The death of Cephas was sad an tragic but no one nows when your time is up . Got to make every day count .

3. anita
    poughkeepsie ny
    June 13, 2012, 2:54 pm

I think Mose is doing a great service to his ex-Amish community, they are all extremely brave and God loves them all. So extremely saddened by the death of Cephas, what a great young spirit, a loss to all. They should all be proud they are following their dreams, wish there parents would still provide emotional support and didn’t shun them. Love the show!

4. E Patterson
    Minerva,Ohio
    June 14, 2012, 5:46 am

I enjoy watching this program and was deeply saddened by Cephas death. Made me think of my sons and their safety. My heart goes out to all the young men and women that are examish. And Moses I feel you are doing a great service for all of these young people .If I were your mom I would be very proud of you.

5. Annie Bloomquist
    Duluth Minnesota
    June 14, 2012, 9:07 am

I have always been curious about how the Amish live and what they believe. The death of Cephas was a tragic for all his friends and family along with the viewers. He had great potential and was fun watching him grow into an English person. Life as an English person is not easy, even for us who have always been this way.
    The one thing that I sure don’t understand and most likely will never is that the Amish love and cherish the lord, but yet disown one of there own who choose not to follow the Amish ways. In the English world we all make mistakes and do things that our parents would not approve of, but they stand by our side, guide us and try to help out when they can. It might be from a far but our family is always there no matter what. I have mixed emotions on how a parent can just not talk to there son or daughter anymore because they choose not to follow that religion. I guess we will never understand “why” in the English world.
    All of the ex-amish on the show are inspiring to me and to see each of you grow each week the show is on. You have my support and love!

6. Steven
    Nashville, TN
    June 14, 2012, 4:51 pm

This episode was so moving that I haven’t been able to shake the sadness for a couple of days.

RIP Cephas

7. maddie
    ohio
    June 14, 2012, 7:06 pm

To everyone on the show, my very deepest sympathys. I’m just heart broken over losing Cephas. I loved that kid like he was my own son. I hope his death isnt invain and that Amos for one does get his life back on track. My prayers are with you all but especially for Cephas, that he may rest in peace with our heavenly father who loves us all whether we’re amish or english.
    Good Night Cephas

8. Jennifer P
    Pensacola, FL
    June 19, 2012, 7:20 pm

I was so sad when Cephas died. I cried even after the show was over. I have watched this show since it started and watching one of them die was like losing a family member. He had so many dreams and I’m sad he never got to see them through. RIP Cephas Yoder

9. Elizabeth Cochran
    Dalton, GA
    June 19, 2012, 7:54 pm

My heart breaks for your community on the lose of Cephas. His brother is in my prayers. Mose is amazing for all he has done.

No matter if we are Amish, Christian no matter who we worship we are all human. We all hurt and these kids are left to fend for themselves. The strength they show is amazing. Rest in peace Cephas

10. Anne
    Michigan
    June 20, 2012, 5:23 am

I was so sorry to see that Cephas had died. But, as Mose explained the Amish grieving process and how a funeral was explained to him as a child, I was bothered by what he had to say. It almost seems to me that the Amish must not truly believe in Christ and the life ever after. Myself, as a Christian, certainly have been saddened by deaths in my life, but I have been allowed to grieve openly, and ultimately hang on to the teachings of our Lord. It seemed to me that as Mose said they were never to speak of a dead person again that they almost don’t believe that heaven exists. I don’t know. As believing and God-fearing as I have always thought they Amish are, it gave me pause.

11. April Galamin
    Illinois
    June 21, 2012, 1:55 pm

That was tragic to hear of the death of Cephas. :(

The death of a youngster in the prime of their life is unexplainable, but I am glad that at least Cephas was doing his best to live life on his terms. I do not believe it was any judgement of God, just a terrible accident. :(
    Rest in Peace Cephas.

I think Mose is doing a good job in trying to help the Ex-Amish. I really appreciate this show, it is eye opening.

12. tommyd
    smyrna, ga
    June 24, 2012, 10:50 pm

I grew up roman catholic, and i relate to the show in many ways. However Cephas was a soul that really spoke to me. He seemed so genuine and honest, I remember rewinding and watching again the show where he showed his bet to mose from his wallet, it always made me laugh. There are too few people in this world with this quality.I can only wish the best to Mose and his crew.

13. Sean H.
    Tampa, FL
    June 26, 2012, 5:30 pm

This is the first time I actually cared to go online and post something. Mose is a great person, with a beautiful family. The death of Cephas really got to me; seeing how they dealt with the situation was amazing. Mose could not have done a better job. Keeping everyone in whatever “community” together is key. That is exactly what he did. Don’t be scared to mourn. Don’t feel uncomfortable crying to your friends. Don’t feel afraid to ask another how they feel either. And make sure to remeber the great times you had with any loved one that passes away. I used to always ask myself, “Why them and not me. I’ve done way worse and my accidents were very horrific”. Dig deep and keep in your mind that Cephas is looking right over your shoulder; watching from above. If you read this Mose, I have always respected you as a man and the hope you provide. Having lost several very close friends to me in my late teens and twenties(almost including my own life with 3 seperate car wrecks; which really struck home.) You all have come thru some much adversity to get where you are. Sometimes I wish the world could all have the attitude and strength as these guys. As they say (in slang) in the English; “Carpe Diem” guys(Sieze the day!). RIP Cephas; always remember that funny and uplifting laugh you had man. Wish yall the best

14. johem
    Exeter, CA
    August 27, 2012, 4:30 pm

I was so saddened by the episode with Cephas’ death that I had a hard time sleeping. It seems such a waste for a young man that had so much potential.

15. juanita
    north carolina
    October 22, 2012, 8:52 pm

love the show pleaselet us know when the show returns.think alot of you mose and you sweet wife and family

16. tracey
    Adelaide, South Australia
    November 15, 2012, 11:58 pm

We are only just receiving the series in Australia now so I have only just witnessed the passing of Cephas. I think by thhe comnts posted on this site, Mose can rest assured that the boys he is helping at this time have got new family membrs all over the world. We have takent them to our hearts. our love and prayers go to you Mose and all wo help you look after these young people. you are trulyy a man led by God, even you doubt it yoursellf at times. our sympathy’s and prayers go to your family at this time.

17. Russ
    Seymour, Victoria, Australia
    November 17, 2012, 8:03 am

I’ve just seen this episode and it is so saddening. God, or Nature, acts in such marvellous and mysterious ways – ways and things that we sometimes struggle to understand. With Freedom comes uncertainty; certainty stifles Freedom. With Freedom we have choices and Cephas made his choices and died free. To all who knew and loved Cephas I offer my condolences. I offer my sincere sympathy to his parents, family and all those who loved him or called him a friend.

18. Gerda
    Qld, Australia
    November 20, 2012, 3:34 am

We love watching the show and think Mose and his wife are very special people helping the young people. As Christians we get to learn more about the Amish culture. No one can judge any of the people who prefers to persue a life in “the English world”. I wish that Amish can really know that anyone in the “English world” can live with God and will be saved and go to heaven and not be doomed for leaving mish – that is not fair.

We saw the episode where Cephas died and were devastated. The episode showing him working so hard to achieve his goals was so inspiring to our children and i’m sure he will still motivate people around the globe. Stay strong his brother Gideon – our thoughts are with you and everybody who’s life your brother touched.

19. Suzy Walker
    Brisbane Australia
    November 20, 2012, 5:46 am

I can tell you first hand, that was not an act of God, Gods heart is for all people…John 10, 10 says the thief satan comes to steal kill and destroy..but Jesus came that we might have life and enjoy it…

20. jsp81355
    Stamford, CT
    January 19, 2013, 3:17 pm

I just watched for the first time the episode where Cephas died. My heart goes out to this wonderful young man, whose bright light was darkened much too soon. Rest in peace, Cephas. I hope that you find the happiness in heaven that you sought on Earth.

21. marcela janowski
    new jersey, usa
    January 30, 2013, 6:52 am

I feel like all these Amish kids who left their home are my family> Thank God for people who are taking these kids to their hearts. I was so saddened and brokenhearted by the death of Cephas.To those kids out there, I say good for you. Continue with your dreams, and first things first, be true to ypurself.True I hope Amos would pursue his studies and become even more successful in the English world.

22. marcela janowski
    January 30, 2013, 6:56 am

will there be new episodes of this show?

23. Amanda Smith
    Swindon
    February 8, 2013, 10:28 am

I was so upset watching last nights episode when Cephas died. Complete shock and so sad, he was such a lovely young lad.

24. Ms moore
    Mayberry nc
    February 19, 2013, 11:39 am

So sad that cephas died he was trying so hard.great ppl nose and his family ..