Move over 2012, a new end-of-days era is upon us and it is 2052.

A computer model developed in the 70s by MIT, called World3, predicted a major collapse of civilization. Based on a number of factors from climate change to overusing our resources, the findings revealed that the planetary stress placed on our planet was so strong that there was no way to undo what had been started unless drastic changes were made. It was hotly debated at the time, but now it’s back in big way.

Now, some of the original modelers from the World3 project are plugging new scenarios into a similar simulation explored in a new book 2052: A Global Forecast for the Next Forty Years. While the various possibilities differ in many ways, the ultimate outcome is the same… and it’s looking grim.

The updated World3 computer model is saying the same thing it was saying back in the 70s:  we are on a fast-track to the total collapse of civilization — but this time there’s no way to stop it because the “sustainable pathways” the original simulation foresaw are no longer available to us. In effect, we’ve gone too far. This new model is predicting that once the population peaks at 8-9 billion, it will crash rapidly down taking much of civilization-as-we-know-it with it, heralding the arrival of its newest apocalyptic scenario on or around 2052.

Looks like the Doomsday Preppers can add computer modeling to their list of threats to prepare for.

via Scientific American

Comments

1. KiddnMe?
    Midwest
    June 3, 2012, 12:39 pm

And because people didn’t want to hear about “Global Warming” they changed it to “Climate Change”. Great. I don’t believe in burying my head in the sand but this is one program I won’t watch. I’m so sick of the fear mongering. I believe in doing your best to reduce your carbon footprint, but this Doomsday crap is just not the answer, it’s way too negative and I don’t see it having any good influence on society.

2. jennifer stewart
    san antonio texas
    June 12, 2012, 5:30 pm

this is a weird bit of news if you ask me maybe the maya wanted it too be two thousand and fifty two they just simply ran out of room for it too be so they stopped at a certain date oh well bye no need too worry now we’ll all most likely be dead when the official end o of the world come’s but we do have the needed tool’s too eliminate seven billion human’s on earth just by the tool’s we simply implement and no one is immune from fear bye

3. Donna Milota
    June 18, 2012, 4:07 pm

WHY IS IT THAT NO ONE SEEMS TO PROTECT CANNING JARS FROM FALLING OFF SHELVES DURI NG AN EARTHQUAKE. I WENT THRU 2 AND HAVE LEARNED TO ;PROTECT JARS AND CANS FROM FALLING

4. George Edwards
    Houston
    August 4, 2012, 6:10 pm

After watching numerous episodes in this series , I’ve come to the conclusion I have no interest in living in a post-apocalyptic world as it will be repopulated by descendants of troglodytes at the bottom end of the gene pool.

5. MAINE
    northeasr
    August 13, 2012, 2:16 am

i personally think that doomsday preppers is not a tv series meant to scare people, but meant to show people what others in the country are doing in order to prepare for the coming events that are inevitable eventually.

6. West Coast Preppers
    August 21, 2012, 2:23 pm

I believe that Doomsday Preppers is not about fear, it is about education. You will never regret being over prepared for yourself and your family. You may regret not preparing at all and saying that it wont or can’t happen to me. Whether you believe in the end of the World, or natural disasters, preparing is always the best route to take. Having the essential food, water, and shelter is going to help you and your family feel secure and more prepared to handle any situation that may arise.

7. Ryan
    Oklahoma
    August 29, 2012, 1:58 pm

Love the Education that Doomsday Prepper provides. I have just really started getting into it from an individual perspective, have always been a gun enthusiasts but never really looked into prepping for long term survival. To say the least, this show has made me performing DIY stuff as well as picking up individual items from various sources (which I have found that Lecortec.com has probably the lowest prices I have seen). So looking for more episodes to learn more and look for more items to be stored.

8. JArome
    September 2, 2012, 8:35 pm

To all the people who believe that running to a hole in the ground and ruining what little social lives your childern have is the best solution to a GLOBAL catastrophe i can not stress enough how stupid and self centered you are. If you want to be crazy and move under ground do so but you people should leave your kids out of it and give them up to a sane household. And second you might not want to go on tv telling everyone where you live and the items you have cause now that i know ill see you on judgement day with suporior fire power. And finally to the guy that belives that a tomahawk is a form of home security you will be the first to go.

9. Pat
    PA
    September 3, 2012, 9:09 am

Just as surely as Noah built the Ark – he had many laughing at him. I am not a prepper but found the series very educational. None of us know for sure but I had a tape given to me (unfortunately lent it out and never got it back) in 1972 predicting all of these current events. To watch them unfold in 2012 is mind blowing. Continue on preppers sharing your ideas…I see nothing negative altho it may cause fear in many people. As my 85 yr. old dad said to me the other day…’I've seen it bad years ago but there is something very different about this bad’. Thanks, Dad!

10. Christine
    TEXAS
    September 10, 2012, 12:07 pm

When does season 2 come out?

11. Anything Prepper
    Canada
    September 11, 2012, 9:41 am

No matter what we do or what we have caused, something is going on, you cant argue with that. It seems everyday, the news gets worse and worse with natural disasters and people going nuts in this already crazy world. I am the prepper of the house, and have a room set up ect… We are prepping for everything from earthquakes, flood, evacuation, nuculear, pandemic, ect…… I want my family to be ready for what ever may happen, when ever it may happen, wether we cause our extinction or not. I would never disclose my personal plans to anyone else but my imediate family as i feel that would cause danger to us in a tough situation, love the show and have learned tons to add to my knowledge, but i would never be on it.

12. Nico
    Miami
    September 14, 2012, 4:50 pm

If an apocalypse happens I don’t want to prepare or even survive to live with a bunch of idiots that are gonna be alive like these doomspreppers and this tv show producers. Why don’t you make a tv serie showing that you don’t need to consume that much in order to live, how to recycle, on what to do for this planet not to get to that point. You can save all that canned meat food you want, you’ll get cancer eventually… If you survive. I’m a good guy who cares about others but this tv show really pissed off, how selfish people are IN THIS SHOW.

13. Khnom
    Earth
    September 19, 2012, 1:01 am

Doomsday Prep show is embarrassing and irresponsible. The on camera people are just kinda daft, but the “expert” critiques do not go near facing the facts and just mislead viewers.
    There are so many REAL holes in these survival plans to cite but your show ignores and implies that these plans have even a slim chance of working. Nat Geo lies!

14. Khnom
    Earth
    September 19, 2012, 1:03 am

Dec. 2012 is the end of time as we know it because aliens finally show themselves fully and explain how “things” really work. If you want a preview about real reality, read what the Tibetan Buddhist master have already said.

15. Khnom
    Earth
    September 19, 2012, 1:08 am

The Standing Stones and building from ancient times are markers for aliens to pop back into the area from intergalatic and time travel.
    Can you imagine how bad it would be to pop back to a location and find it is now the Empire State Building there and your body melds with it!
    The large stones were placed to keep humans from moving them and messing up alien returning landing sites. You heard it here first!

16. concrete diver
    Florida
    September 26, 2012, 6:44 pm

Well. It’s obvious we can’t keep going at this pace. For more that 5000 years we never reached a billion of souls, but from 1901 to 2001 we passed from a little more than a billion to 7 billions in today’s numbers… The medieval economy was not able to stand the demographic explosion of the 12th and 13th century in the same way that the industrial civilization will not be able to stand more than 7000 millions (nor need it). Something very big will happen soon..

17. obearlady
    October 1, 2012, 5:29 am

Doomsday Preppers when are the new 1′s coming on??????????????

18. Nora Catz
    Toccoa, Georgia
    October 2, 2012, 8:36 pm

As a person who has traveled the world and visited the ruins of some of the most advanced societies in history it brings to mind the certain desire I have, to be prepared. To have plans A, B, C in place and always the ability to remain flexible to bring myself to safety in any type of war or disaster. I’ve been a registered nurse for 14 years, I have at least a fair amount of knowledge about what to do for injuries and disease. I know triage and emergency care. I stock water, food, and also keep a knapsack with a quick grab now go. In my truck I’ve got other goods. My home has its own 85 ft well, I have a wood burning fireplace and I’m not within 90 miles of a large city (the largest being Atlanta) within 4 miles of my home there is a water way, and I have access to 3 other states within 30 min. I am at the foot of a substantial mountain range and know the back roads. I have a sense though that without a partner in this I will never make it. Looking to connect. My plans were to build an underground bunker here on my acre plus land – but I may sell and look elsewhere even become an expat. Whatever it takes to survive and maintain or help provide some re-assemblance of a workable society is what I hope to achieve. It may not happen but odds are it will. And sooner than we think. Anyone interested can contact me via fb Thanks Nora Catz

19. Dr Steve Bell
    UK
    October 10, 2012, 6:30 pm

The fears are justified but the doomsday response is not.

After many years of reading, research and reasoning I realised that the best thing to “prep” is your mind. This allows you to be ready for any future but also to live in the present without cutting yourself off from society!
    If anyone wants to “prep” your mind and overcome these challenges in a positive way then please read this:

20. Charlie
    October 15, 2012, 3:06 am

I would never present myself ,and/or, any preps I might be undertaking on national television. That being said, I do find the show entertaining,and that’s really what TV is about after all…entertainment. That does not preclude being able to glean a few good ideas from some of the preppers being showcased.
    My son recently asked me why I prepped, because nothing was ever going to happen; my answer:
    I pray to God that nothing ever DOES happen, but I would much rather be able to say “Well, I guess I didn’t need that stuff after all”, rather than “Boy, I sure wish I had put stuff back, we sure could have used it”.

21. tim
    northern ohio
    October 20, 2012, 12:19 pm

not one prepper I know of has tried to force his or her ideas on anyone. much like blizzard warnings and hurricane warnings everyone goes out and buys bread,milk,eggs, etc.

that is prepping , everyone on gods green earth is a prepper,ants,squirrels,dogs,bears,people. after yet another year of failed crops, just wait until january when you see food prices.

one more year of crop failures and you wont be able to get survival food at all. my mom taught me how to can fruits and vegetables, to make jelly and jams, etc. how bad does it have to get before people finally admit there is a problem that needs fixing ?

22. Khnom
    October 23, 2012, 6:10 pm

A prominent Thailand leader has preached sustainable living for decades. No one listened. The end is here, and way too few will give up the good life to save the planet. Bye bye.

23. Khnom
    October 23, 2012, 6:16 pm

If you want to survive, move to Burma and become a rice farmer. Otherwise, join a local war lord and hope he will take you in. Trade him your wife and older daughters because he will take them anyway as well as all of your prepper stores. Basically, for urbanites, it is over.

24. thunder wolf
    surrvivals
    October 31, 2012, 11:40 am

me show there some people want do some don’t want that do me work prepper and survival and bug a bag and look information of thing get off the grid come water & foods ? look run power to ?

25. yourallnuts
    Ohio
    November 5, 2012, 9:56 am

What you Preppers fail to understand is this: in the event of a nuclear event, ALL water, ALL food, ALL animals…and YOU would be contaminated. Your silly gardens would not survive so you couldn’t eat produce from it, the food and water you feed the chickens you have would be contaminated, and so on. Why do you think you will live in a bubble, protected from these things when the reality is so different?

And, scaring your kids, putting a gun into the hands of a 4 year old, and living in fear….is insane!

Seems to me that all of you are HOPING for disaster so you can say…as you’re dying….”see, I told you so”.
    But hey….whatever gets you through the night.
    Pttthpt!

26. you'reallnuts
    Ohio
    November 5, 2012, 10:05 am

I truly hate it when I see the look of terror on the faces of the Preppers’ kids. All that constant paranoid talk about bugging out, the end of the world and shooting intruders, and having these silly “drills” is horrible, and, as far as I’m concerned, is child abuse . I’d like to see these kids removed from these nuthouses and put into a normal home where they can grow up safe and happy.

Shame on you morons!

27. simpleunhookedliving
    Northwestern US
    November 6, 2012, 11:19 am

I became interested in survival after Mt St. Helens blew in the 80s when store shelves became half empty after three days. Since our society is completely dependent on necessities being funneled to us from far away, it makes sense to have a Plan B. The long term solution is a thrival mentality, a concept that our culture can be organizing a more self-sustaining way to live. Moving from rabid global consumerism to community-based self-reliance and satisfaction in a state of voluntary simplicity.

28. Mike
    AR
    November 6, 2012, 11:38 am

I don’t know who’s right and who’s wrong when it comes to prepping. I do find it strange that someone who is planning for an EMP disaster, builds his underground shelter out of metal containers to protect all of his electronic equipment. Then he plans to drive his electronic ignition, computer controlled jeep, 40 minutes to his bug out shelter. Someone is in for a rude awakening if an EMP actually occurs.

29. NotAZombie
    Western US.
    November 7, 2012, 5:36 am

Fall of Civilization as we know it, is rapidly approaching. If one pays attention to what is going on around you, you can see it coming like a freight train with no brakes. FYI, do you think the Romans knew the Empire was collapsing around them. Personally, I doubt we have until 2052.

Hey, Nat Geo Prep Experts, guys seriously, you need to critique/score these Preppers a bit more realistic. I see major holes in most of the showcased Preppers. I like the new grading scale, 5 categories worth 20 points each, but the scores you guys are giving out, are high. Perhaps at the end of the show point out what would be a 20 on your scale or have a discussion that moves to the website and continues, pick one category per episode. Frankly, as a prepper I’m not sure I even know what a completely prepped family is yet. I think the plan we’re working on is close to a perfect 20 in all your categories, but what is really a perfect 20? I give the Preppers you’ve showcased credit for heading down the path to surviving a collapse.

Keep on prepping …. good luck to all … and don’t be a Zombie ( unprepared people )

30. jeff kidd
    New Castle, Ind
    November 9, 2012, 11:31 pm

I’m not sure what is going to happen to the world as we know it, But i know it’s going to happen. The thing that scares me the most is the fact that our homeland security has built underground bunkers all over the country, with the biggest being under denver airport. But here is the kicker, they have built 114 detention centers all linked to the railroad. They have playgrounds for our kids to play outside, and the bobbed wire is turned in,(thats to keep people inside). What the hell is our govt planning? Is this going to be another nazi germany? I will fight to the death before they put my family and i in one of these centers!!!

31. June Cleaver
    Mississippi
    November 11, 2012, 3:16 pm

This show is filled wth nothing but trailer park racists who do not have the social skills to adapt to a normal society. This program makes me want to throw up.These people are selfish and bigoted. Why would you want to kill people needing help in case of a major catastrophe? I’ve always been taught when you dig one hole you better dig one for yourself also because you people are sick.

32. WWE
    Noneya
    November 12, 2012, 4:26 pm

There is no end of the world.. well there is but its not from outer space.. its from us humans, we are all gonna destroy everything and everyone because things like this is gonna make us go crazy this is all fake they trying to get your money

33. Princess
    November 13, 2012, 2:15 am

The truth of the matter is that JESUS CHRIST is soon to come. We need to be ready. I am still trying to get myself ready for his soon return. We need to be free from sin. Be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. The world is going to end. But, not like you suppose. First the body of Christ will be raptured. The there will be utter torment on the eart for 1,000 years and then this earth will be destroyed by God’s holy fire! Get ready now. Pray. Fast. And, ask God to have mercy. That is our only hope!

34. Eric
    midwest USA
    November 13, 2012, 2:50 am

I find this show educational, scary, and some stupidity all in one.

I like the ideas, techniques, and variety of survival tactics. It gives alot of diverse information. Good information is never a bad thing.

I find it scary because if people would listen with an open mind to the different disaster scenerio’s then do some basic research (goggle is an amazing thing) the fears are not that far fetched. Nor are they unrealistic except for the zombies…but you never know.

Now some of the stupidity I see falls into two catagories.

1. Focused on just one disaster situation. While yes if you (example) live near a nuclear reactor that may be a prime problem. But if one plans for multiple disasters one gains the advantage of flexability. Most disasters involve multiple problems and multiple causes.

2. Alot of these preppers give TOO MUCH personal information about themselves on NATIONAL TV.

No offence to them but if the disaster strikes don’t you think some of the bad guys are going to remember you and come calling? They know you have guns and plan for them?

Lastly alot of people give mocking to preppers and their stockpiles saying “it will never happen”.

I counter these critic’s in two ways.

1. Do you buy insurance? Do you always use it or had to use it? Prepping is insurance for the ” just in case”.

2. So ok what if they are wrong? Is having a large stockpile of food/water/cash/durable equipment a bad thing? If nothing happens they can sit back, enjoy their stockpile and save their money.

Wow think of having a 2 year supply of (example) food and saving that money.

As for the “experts” saying XX scenerio will never/low chance of happening….Yea right. Where they not the ones telling us the (example) US economy was strong in the 1990′s and the economy would never crash?

35. MATT
    Massachusettes
    November 13, 2012, 7:14 am

People are more interested in buying the newest iphone or whatever than to have even the most basic survival preps. With the latest catastrophic events over the past decade how can any one deny there is a real chance that you will need to survive on your own. in 2029 an asteroid WILLsandy, 3 earthquakes in the last month alone in north and central america, another in burma, another in myanmar, iceland volcanic eruption, 2004 tsunami, 2011 tsunami, economic turmoil, failing grade emergency managment agencies, it goes on and on

36. MATT
    Massachusettes
    November 13, 2012, 7:19 am

In 2029 an asteroid will travel between the earth and the moon a third of the way to the moon or closer depending on the effect of planetary gravity on the asteroid between now and 2029 and if it misses us in 2029 it will return 7 years later probably closer to the earrth due to earths gravitational effect on it’s orbit the first time it goes by us in 2029 this is a fact be prepared

37. joe
    me
    November 13, 2012, 9:55 am

the end is comming. so why not except the inevitable. people are too scared. we all die at some point. i would rather die somewhat young than be 70 plus and slowly see my death comming. i say BRING IT ON WHILE I HAVE MY LAST BEER. LOL

38. Edo
    Vermont-The Place away from it ALL!!
    November 13, 2012, 4:37 pm

First: For all the dissers of Preppers and the show(which is only for entertainment,let’s not get carried away)-you bloggers call them trailer trash and whatever but look at your blogs—where’d you learn the English language? Sentences that make no sense and multiple misspelled words!!! Anyhoo, being prepared is the Boy Scout Motto…Good advice..One does not need to go crazy,just keep your situational awareness and your head about you and your loved ones close….OK extra food and water never hurt!!! Plus a few gats and ammo!!

39. MATT
    MAssachusettes.
    November 15, 2012, 6:23 am

I agree with edo look at the poor people in long island weeks without food water power or shelter in november cold, now if that were me I would at least have the means and knowledge to thrive and survive such an event. it is a small scale example of what could happen regionally and cause mass histeria I myself would spend the money now to secure your survival later. p.s. I was a boy scout too be prepared was a big thing and prepared me to expect any eventuallity and prepare as best as possible.

40. kjco
    No VA
    November 19, 2012, 2:01 pm

For you arrogant mockers who call prepping child abuse–what about those parents who are not prepared for a Katrina or Sandy & end up shipping their children off to strangers when they realize they cannot provide for them? How scared would that make a child as they realized they had nothing & didn’t know where their next meal was coming from or if they’d ever be warm again? These kids may need some positive reinforcement that it’s all a practice game until it happens for real–but they know their parents have it covered in many eventualities. Camera crews & producers who are there are far more scary than seeing your parents run drills.

41. Ka Plow
    Rochester NY
    November 21, 2012, 10:01 am

I sew paperclips into all my genes just incase I am captured by the riotous mobs from NYC and handcuffed. This way I can escape to my bunker somewhere in the southern terr NY.

42. Dmitry Mikheyev,
    November 28, 2012, 3:04 pm

Stupid, ignorant, paranoid, psychotic people! As a rocket scientist I tell you — not only you are ruining your and your loved’s lives, you poison lives of hundreds of millions viewers of Nat Geo around the world. “The land of hope of mankind!” These idiotic Americans make billions of profit for all those corporations involved!