The following is written by ex-Amish community leader Mose Gingerich who’s featured on the new series Amish: Out of Order:

In this episode I go to Pennsylvania to help with something I haven’t done in about ten yrs: help build an Amish barn. There is a special history to the old Stoltzfus barn and residence. It was one of the very original places settled upon when the Amish first came to America in the late 1600’s and early 1700’s. The person who settled upon it, Nicholas Stoltzfus, had been kicked out of his Amish community (overseas somewhere) because he fell in love and married an English girl. He settled in P.A., and that’s where the first P.A. Amish community began. Today, there are more Stoltzfus in Pennsylvania then any other Amish name, and it seems that every person there is related in some way to the Nicholas Stoltzfus, the man who married the “English” girl. This is why the Amish decided to rebuild this barn and try to preserve the place, in recognition of Nicholas Stoltzfus. I do believe the property is still not completely done because they ran out of funds.

I have always enjoyed building things with my hands! Even back in my Amish in the City days in 2004 when I was staying with the rest of the cast in the Hollywood hills, what helped me keep my sanity was preoccupying my mind with making little wooden inventions for the rest of the cast in the house.

Also later in the episode we see a bunch of us go down to Joplin, M.O. to help with the Disaster relief after a huge tornado swept through making a huge path 1/2 mile wide by six miles long. I will never in my life forget the feeling that swept over me when I first drove into Joplin and saw the devastation. There is a small part of me that hopes I never do forget it. I think I need the images of a scene like this to help me stay thankful for all things my family and myself have. I discovered that there is no way for a town to prepare for something like this. Everyone, myself included, can convince oneself that “it won’t happen to me”. However, this was just less then three hours away, and some of the debris landed not an hour from my house. It will take years for Joplin to be rebuilt! Oh how small of a dent a small group of us made in one day!

The one bright side to the whole thing was how many thousands of people were pitching in from all over, not just the U.S. but the whole world! Regardless of what some may think, we still have by far the best and most loyal country in the world and lets hope we never lose sight of that!

Somewhere in the middle of this episode there is a little too much of Mose. Mose sitting in his basement in the middle of the night talking to people and looking for a home for Michaela. Mose looking through old letters from Amish people, etc. It is hard for me to watch the personal stuff. However, I will let you in on a little bitty secret. The personal, private, emotional stuff is about to hit a brand new level. Over the next few episodes I will probably hide, deny any of it ever happened, and claim that Nat Geo had a body double filling for me. During this time while I am hiding out in a cave with no phone reception or Internet service, feel free to let your cable bill run out.

Michaela finally got a chance to try the Amish life for several days in a row. What a surprise for so many people! She stuck with it and somehow came out the other side unscathed. A special thanks to Leah and Rachel for letting us follow this experience of Michaela’s. The good news is, she came out calling me and wanting more Amish-ness. The one thing I hadn’t spoken much with Michaela about was the faith the Amish believe in. Will this change, and if so, will she be receptive of it, or will it turn her?

What’s Ahead in the next episode, Amish: Out of Order: Amish in Public:

If you saw too much of Mose in episode four, skip episode five. I may take a trip to some original places where it all began. I may try to make sense out of a culture that is has weathered the test of time, and I may find myself nervous as could be of holding an event in front of a very large number of people. Will I come away with any answers?

A little unknown fact for a lot of people is that doing what I do when I am in the public spotlight comes with consequences. An Amish person who grew up in a meek and humble manner and has always been taught to stay under the radar can and usually be the topic of criticism among the Amish communities and sometimes even among some ex-Amish. So what could possess me to take a chance and still keep doing what I am doing?

Also, we see more of Esther Miller. A girl who has some pretty large dreams and aspirations. Will her past help or hinder her in pursuing these dreams? And just how much can one’s faith or religion go into helping make one’s decisions?

Stay tuned for the answers to these any many more in episode five.

To read this blog and more from Mose J. Gingerich, go to www.amishinthecitymose.com.

Until next time… Machs Gut!

Tune in to Amish Out of Order: 9-5 Amish tonight at 10P et/pt

Comments

1. Shaughnessy
    the REAL midwest
    May 16, 2012, 4:28 am

Mose,
    I watched the Amish in the City and loved it. Out of all that I think those city kids an education into humility, being nice to people because you like being nice. Not one of those city kids had a clue into good character building.
    That’s what you bring to the table in this new show. I have admired your simplicity, and with real humble of spirit, that we don’t have to be “religious” or a “christian” to be humble. It’s taking into to consideration other people’s needs besides our own.
    I’m sorry your childhood culture misuse the scriptures, and ignore that the “Word also says….”, with the intent to control and manipulate others into “good behavior”.
    You, and others have just expressed, as Jesus said, “I came that you might have life, and have it more abundantly. Seek ME first, Jesus said, and ALL these things will be added unto you.”
    God WANTS us to have mates, dates, and babies. He also said there are those who are given the gift to make money and to share it with those who don’t have money, and to send money to further the message of salvation of the Lord.
    But all in all Mose. . .just doing what you’re doing a like Neo in the Matrix and just letting others know that there is freedom beyond what we can’t see. Jesus didn’t die on the cross just to make put people into the bondage of religion.
    And that’s where my heart is at. . . I want people to know that we make Jesus the Lover of our souls, and God our friend.(No man comes to the Father, but by me, Jesus said. That’s why I say make Jesus your lover and God your friend)………and still own a car, a house, and even take pictures of God’s beauty, or take pictures of those who are suffer so others can learn how to invest in the poor so they too can have money and worship God through right living.
    God bless you and those who sacrifice to help you help others.
    Do you need help with stuff? Administration is my passion, and I work on voluntary basis. My old pastor could even give you a reference. I was their church secretary for about 5 years. After 3 years they began to pay me $30 a month. A blessing, and was enough to go towards my monthly grocery budget. Yet I would still do it for nothing all over again.
    Just send me an email.
    I just love what you do to help your people.As you expressed in tonights episode how this is what God wants you to do. AND HE did it through the TV media. I hope the Amish who are against this can see the fingerprints of God all over it. Tonights episode was so refreshing.
    I can move at any time and any place.

2. JAMES GOSS
    Pennsylvania
    May 16, 2012, 10:07 am

Mose,
    I enjoy watching the show. I was raised Catholic but when I started reading the bible (all 66 books) the Holy Spirit changed me and I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. Although in some ways I admire the Amish for their hard work ethic and godly manner, I also disturbs me how all their traditions and restrictions (which are manmade, not biblically based) allow them to shun, reject and outcast former members who left the sect or order. I don’t hear or see enough about Jesus on the show. In Luke chapter 6, Christ tells us about judging others, and what about the prodigal son? Eternal damnation is not determined by Amish leaders but whether a person believes in Jesus Christ and accepts Him as their Lord and Savior, (JOHN 3:16). I know they are fine people but they appear cultist to me also by having their traditions dominate over bible based Christian lifestyles. What about preaching the gospel and making disciples? Christ commands all believers to do these things! They should be witnesses not just in their own community but to the “english” as well! Love the show, God bless…

3. SHARON GABLE
    Lancaster,pa
    May 16, 2012, 12:13 pm

I was wondering if anyone know the name of the man Mose Gingerich was talking to at the book sign on the May 15,2012? He said he wrote a book about the Amish and I would like to get the book and read it. I like books about the Amish. I read alot of books by Bervely Lewis. Hope someone can help me out with the name of the man.

4. jordan green
    new wilmington PA
    May 22, 2012, 7:35 pm

Hey, I love the show and me and my family live on a small farm, where i raise sheep for the fair. My dad was asking me to try to get a hold of Mose Gringerich, so i did, but no luck.. i was wondering if we can contact you somehow, me and my dad love the show and the famish community where we live. I remember when i was a little kid, my dad would take me over to his Amish friends and we would share ice-cream and talk about the farm, it was great! and i just wanted to hear you experience with your old Amish life and your new chapter in life. Thanks, i would love to email you or talk on the phone, preferably on the phone because my dad is blind, thanks again! hope to talk to you soon.

5. Dan Bloom
    Oxnard CA
    May 22, 2012, 11:17 pm

Mose
    I hope somehow this letter reaches you! Our society is sick in many ways; we are exposed to false hero worship. Hollywood feeds the public with a steady stream of actors which are held up as those who we should strive to become and emulate. As far as I am concerned this is some of the never ending crap endured as todays entertainment.
    It is so refreshing to see the show “Amish Out of Order”. I am truly inspired by your kindness, life’s work, helping others. You are truly can be declared as one grain, having a holy calling as part of the preserving salt of the earth.
    My background is, Anti-Baptist called Baptist today, a branch the Amish broke away from as taking separation from the world to the point of isolation. I know you are ground in faith even though you have been rejected due to nonconformance to false works for salvation.
    For inspiration from the scriptures read Mathew Ch22. Jesus did not live in an isolated community. Rather he confronted the sects of his day ministering to all people. The Pharisee’s who opposed the Roman government. The Herodian’s who supported the Roman government. The Sadducees who were the intellectuals of his day. He declared them all wrong in their thinking and proved it to them. It is not the sect you belong to which counts, but how you honor the things of God in your own heart, and honor the things of secular life such as the laws and rules of our great land with love and respect for others. Keep up the good work that you do.
    You are a true Hero and inspiration.
    Dan

6. Lesley mills
    Houston,Tx
    May 23, 2012, 7:28 am

I am praying for you. And i will be praying for the kids you are trying to help.

Regards,
    Lesley mills

7. Linda
    near Lancaster, PA
    May 23, 2012, 12:31 pm

The man who wrote the book is Ira Wagler….own website at iwww.irawagler.com

Mose didn’t get the information quite right about the barn he was helping to rebuild – or much of the other stuff either….. the original owner – Nicholas Stoltzfus – was a Lutheran who joined the Amish….The first Amish came to America in 1737 and landed in Philadelphia…..there may be a million descendants of Nicholas Stoltzfus – who by the way, has his own website….www.nicholasstoltzfus.com

8. Tobin
    San diego, CA
    May 23, 2012, 5:02 pm

You are fantastic Mose. Keep up the good work. Don’t ever doubt yourself for having the courage to follow your heart. God loves you and SEE’s you. No more Shame or Guilt. You are not alone.

9. james
    canada
    July 14, 2012, 6:06 pm

this show is terrible same episode over and over

10. Linda
    Ontario, Canada
    July 17, 2012, 1:30 am

I disagree with James-I find the show very interesting and don’t feel it’s the same episode over and over. Each episode is different and each show I watch I learn a little more about the Amish. Mose keep up the good work-as much as you want to help everyone who comes to you-remember to take time for yourself (and your family). If you do you’ll come back refreshed and ready to carry on. Take care.

11. Fanny
    August 23, 2013, 4:40 pm

Appreciate it considerably intended for sharing this kind of wonderful people today you truly realize what you’re really preaching about! Book-marked. Remember to furthermore discuss with this site Is equal to). We can possess a weblink deal deal of us