If you just tuned in to Lucy Wright‘s daring story on Locked Up Abroad: Escape From Argentina, I’m sure you have questions. We checked in with Lucy to get answers and see what life is like for her today and here’s what she had to say:

When you fled your arrest in Argentina, how long were you on the run before you made it back home?
After I decided to run, it took me about 8 weeks to get home.

In Brazil, there were so many times you could’ve been caught – how did you keep your nerves in check?
I was more worried about being caught in Argentina, as they arrested me, I was working under the idea that Brazil and Argentina didn’t have great relations and might not have passed information on quickly. I was nervous, of course, but my fight or flight instinct had kicked in and I just knew I had to get home.

On your flight back to England, what did you think about?
I thought about being arrested at the airport when I arrived and what sentence I would get in England and was just glad to not be facing prison in Argentina.

When you got back home, did you openly share about your experience as a drug trafficker and/or your escape from Argentina?
I didn’t tell anyone that didn’t already know.

How did you spend your time during the two years you were back in England (2007-2009) before your arrest?
After I had gone to the police station to say what I’d done and they told me I wasn’t wanted here. I took it as a new start and just wanted to forget about it. I went back to university and just worked, spent time with my family and made new friends.

How did your family react to your arrest in 2009 for the outstanding charges?
Everyone was shocked when I was arrested by the extradition police as we thought it was all over. I had not been thinking about it at all and was very surprised.

What’s life like for you now?
It has felt like I’ve been in limbo since 2009 as I haven’t had an idea about the outcome and couldn’t move on with my life in any proper way until it had come to an end properly. The two outcomes seemed two extreme to be able to think about seriously. I couldn’t make friends or be close to anyone without the threat of me losing them when they found out.

What’s the current situation with your appeal?
The judge has finally dismissed the extradition request, which was a huge relief. It means I could still be arrested elsewhere but England isn’t going to send me back. This means I can finish my qualifications finally and have my baby and just lead a normal life and put it all behind me for good.

Comments

1. E
    May 9, 2012, 11:27 pm

What a trip!

2. Gray Moore
    Charleston
    May 10, 2012, 10:55 pm

How did she originally get caught in Argentina? What was the tip off that caused the police at the airport to stop her?

3. Heidi
    May 13, 2012, 4:23 pm

It was probably the drug dealers themselves that tipped the police off, as she apparently was used just as a decoy.

4. Donnie
    US (Virginia Beach)
    May 13, 2012, 7:28 pm

Will she ever be charged in England or is she off the hook for good?

5. Unni Krishnan
    Mumbai, India
    May 16, 2012, 3:20 am

I have been watching this program regularly as it gives an insight into conditions, prisons and the law of various (mainly third-world) countries, and found that in very few cases the victim is innocent – actually a “victim”. In most cases the person has conciously committed a crime of drug smugling and is also a drug user. While they may have turned a new leaf, they still deserved the punishment and its not important that there was a drug-trafficking group behind – anyone trafficking drugs deserve to be punished. The most ironic aspect is that, most of these offenders are middle-class people from the US, UK and other developed countries where theye have a good educational background and a decent lifestyle. I really appreciate National Geographic for showing this program as it is of good deterent value to many youngsters all over the world.

6. Dignity
    US
    May 16, 2012, 5:49 pm

No sympathy for drug smugglers. She’s got no honor!

7. James 214
    USA
    May 17, 2012, 9:45 am

Lucy’s story is one of the most amazing stories I’ve ever heard of.

I realize that Nat Geo generally touts the atheist hard line, but for those who think this was all just luck that Lucy got out of this ordeal alive and without even going to prison…I say look at the map…look at the crime rates in the areas she wandered through…look how many times a nice looking white girl hitch-hiked in a foreign land and somehow didn’t get harmed at all.

That doesn’t even mention that there are crocodiles in the Iguazu river…plus a plethora of poisonous snakes and spiders that call that area home..not a scratch.

She entered multiple gov’t buildings, gave her full correct name, and never got arrested.

And the laughable part is that her name is Lucy.

I just hope Lucy continues on the path to success and doesn’t squander this amazing chance she’s been given.

8. Jonus
    Eire
    July 13, 2012, 1:34 am

I just watched this, its such a great story. I love the banged/locked up abroad series and this epsidode is by far the best. Others are good but in this story there was adventure like no other and on top of all that nobody came to any harm. More details like where exactly she crossed and what her experience was like in terms of the people she met. It seemed that people in S.Americas are really good kind people.
    She is a very innocent girl and those drug dealers are the scum of the Earth. They will just continue to take advantage of innocent people and will never get caught. I just hope that I never have family or friends caught up in something like this. Its about time that drugs where allowed to pass borders commercially so those drug dealers stop creaming it in and no more vulnerable people get caught up. It really is just ridiculous.
    Good luck Lucy, its amazing how the challenges we have faced can spur us over the line. A part of me envies your the experience. You are a hero!
    BTW Unni, you are mad if you think that everyone in the US/UK has a privilaged lifestyle. If you are poor in the US/UK (Bolton is mostly working class) it is very hard as you are further from parity (which is how poor is defined) compared to anywhere else so you can keep your third world opinion.

9. Aaron
    Wodonga,Victoria Australia
    July 18, 2012, 3:27 am

Addicted to this show. I’m glad you don’t have to go back Lucy.I’m sure you have learnt your lesson. Maybe you could do some public speaking on your experiences.

10. Andres
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    July 18, 2012, 8:40 pm

I hope she gets caught one day, she deserves prison.

11. Joe
    U.S.
    July 21, 2012, 12:56 am

Your an idiot Andres. Everyone does stupid things, and most everyone has done something illegal in their life that they were never caught doing. I’m sure you have a lot of things in your past you deserve punishment for. I think she has learned her lesson, and don’t see how spending 20 years in prison (on the tax payers dime) is going to help anything. The real criminals who use people in desperate situations to take the fall if something happens, those are the people who need to be doing time. You go after them, and you have less mules, less arrests, less people in jail, and less tax dollars having to pay for it all.

12. Mitchell
    US, IN
    August 6, 2012, 5:00 pm

I love lucy

13. cameron
    detroit
    August 9, 2012, 6:36 am

What a story! God was on your side regaurdless of your reckless choices. You are a very unique soul lucy be proud of who you are

14. Nancy Navas
    Salt Lake city, Utah
    August 14, 2012, 1:02 am

lucy, your story has left me speechless, i was rooting for you throughout the whole show, i prayed that you got to England safely and thank God, that the judge decided not to send you back to Argentina, after what you went through, they rape and torture people in Argentine jails. I hope you are very happy with your baby and i congratulate you on finishing university, you are a brave woman. God bless you.

15. A.J. Drop
    London
    August 15, 2012, 4:32 pm

OMG!! I still can not believe you made it, it completely defies all odds!!! How unbelievably amazing!!! Just the fact that Argentina and Brazil have terrible crime that prey on vunerable little white girls! Then you crossed a river fully clothed with crocodiles in! Just everything about your whole journey defies belief! Thank god you made it and people that wish prison on you are truly pathetic people.

16. Shaun
    Scotland
    August 16, 2012, 2:05 pm

She is a drug smuggler and should have been send back to stand trial, the UK is not setting a good example.
    All these episodes are the same it is always about them and not the peoples life’s they are ruining with drugs. Or soldiers are dying in Afganistan trying to prevent the drug trade and some of these people don’t even get there wrists slapped.

17. david
    ireland
    August 16, 2012, 5:14 pm

Well done Lucy just watched it!!
    Brilliant.

18. Alex
    England
    August 19, 2012, 4:07 pm

i love you lucy ..

19. Vas Kumar
    Singapore
    August 21, 2012, 11:41 am

Wow! What an adventure! My hats off to Lucy. I was at the edge of my seat whilst watching the program and hoped she would get through all the difficult situations and finally return home to England. She did. Her patience, courage and bravado is unbelievable. I am just amazed how she swam across the river to Brazil. I could not have done it myself. Anyway, its all over. What a relief. Take stock of what happened and move on. Good luck and best wishes Lucy.

20. darma
    Semarang
    August 23, 2012, 1:18 am

beautiful Lucy, with proudly job as a nurse, but why drugs? Where were her family when she needs before drugs?

21. Papo
    florida
    August 25, 2012, 8:49 pm

We all make mistakes in this life,and we wish we could have changed some of the decisions we have made. So don’t be quick to judge, hold a mirror close to your own face and have a field day. Lucy take a deep breath,I know you have. And have a Wonderful Life

22. Dan
    Vancouver
    August 26, 2012, 12:12 pm

To James 214:

Before you attribute her journey to Divine intervention you might want to consider the following.
    Locals swim in Iguazu River all the time. The River is teaming with all kinds of prey far more desirable then humans. As for hitchhiking it is safer to hitchhike in South America then it is in the US; I know this from personal experience. There was actually a travel warning against hitchhiking in the US at one time.

23. Stephen Duckham
    Cornwall UK
    August 27, 2012, 8:34 am

I sat through the whole episode open mouthed, thinking – she’s gunna get caught in a minute. You have amazing courage to do what you did.
    Of course drug smuggling is a terrible crime and anyone caught deseves to be punished, however I understand how people can be forced into these situations. I would have curled up in a ball and cried but you crossed a huge country on one of the most dangerous continents on the planet. Swam croc infested waters and kept your cool in the face of hostile foriegn officials. In my book you deserve your freedom.

24. Grobari
    August 27, 2012, 9:16 pm

This girl had some massive balls on her, only 24 and able to flee a country without a passport

Intense story, and both the actress and the real girl are cute as heck :3

25. ann
    b
    August 29, 2012, 7:21 am

who was the actress ?

26. Joonas
    Finland
    August 31, 2012, 5:12 am

Marry me, Lucy!!

27. Armstrong
    Ireland
    September 12, 2012, 3:20 pm

To save my time here, I agree entirely with Unni Krishnan.

The only reason I stayed with this offering,-was for the excellent acting of the lady who played Lucy. The credits indicated one Catherine O’Hara. No-not the exceptional Canadian comic-actress-but another.
    This BUA Catherine is just stunningly beautiful, as well as talented.
    Incidentally, she is nowhere to be seen on search engines. Perhaps she gave up performing, which would be a shame.

Those who commented that they ‘fell in love’ with Lucy-I venture to suggest, had this actress, – mixed up with the girl who ought to have served time for her crime,

28. Armstrong
    Ireland
    September 12, 2012, 3:23 pm

In essence-

Wright was wrong!

29. Scott
    Australia
    September 17, 2012, 9:15 pm

What a super story to tell the grand kids one day. Its plain to see you’ve admitted to doing wrong and now you get a chance to put it all right. I hope they make it into a movie. Great work getting out of there. You dont deserve to go through the Argentine prison system. I was shocked you made bail to start with! good luck

30. felix
    ovar-Portugal
    September 27, 2012, 3:38 am

I see now the national geographic.
    I stay very hapy with the final your story.
    I wish you very happyness.

31. Claire
    England
    September 29, 2012, 5:08 pm

What’s with the constant big advertisement for Doomsday preppers right across the screen?! very off putting !

32. ginger
    london
    September 29, 2012, 7:34 pm

I agree this should be made into a film – tho’ maybe Argentine
    wdn’t like it, so maybe not. It was so gripping and dramatic and almost implausible. This is an Amazon woman. Quite outstanding, and pretty too.

33. pablo
    italy
    September 30, 2012, 12:54 pm

I live in Italy but I was born in Uruguay and I really like this documentary but I was very disappointed when or seen this episode and I discovered that all the scenes of ‘those of Argentina and Brazil have been made in uruguay and do not understand why …

34. Vincent
    Malaysia
    October 3, 2012, 2:41 am

I watched this episode recently.What an amazing woman she is.Fleeing a country without a passport and swimming across a river? I don’t think I could have done that on my own.

To those who say she deserves to be sent back,everyone does stupid things.She has learnt her lesson,putting her in prison on taxpayer dollars won’t change a thing.

Good luck Lucy.I hope you and your baby are doing well.

35. pablo
    October 3, 2012, 10:43 am

hi vincent – malasya
    I was after seeing that movie was in uruguay instead of being argentina brazil I do not believe most anything, and all false

36. amit
    delhi
    October 3, 2012, 7:45 pm

Lucy all the very best for your life.
    you are a true person..u choose to do the thngs acording to the circumstances however it was the greatest lesson of your life. Ur bf walked away aftr a long raltionship tat hurtd u the most as it seems u were true…but life had to give u more. We all respect u…n it was wonderful adventure for u as well…god bless u.

37. apurva
    banglore
    October 7, 2012, 7:51 pm

Enjoy your life Lucy…u r a brave women..

38. ricardo
    buenos aires
    October 12, 2012, 12:56 am

People get caught smuggling drugs in and out of the main international airport in Argentina almost every week.They have intelligence ,hundreds of sniffer dogs and plenty of scanners all over the place,so is never good idea to attemp this actions in exchange of a little bit of money.Just not worthy but still better than being caught in places like thailand or many other countries where there is harsh penalties and even death.

39. deck
    mogadishu, somalia
    October 14, 2012, 7:49 pm

amazing story, you people don’t understand what it takes to travel countries and cross borders without a passport and sometimes broke… ONLY IMMIGRANT person who crossed not only one, but ten borders, a couple of rivers and ocean without a passport can truely relate to this story.

40. pablo
    italy
    October 22, 2012, 4:13 pm

41. Alan
    lincoln
    October 31, 2012, 8:37 pm

well done lucy, brilliant…..enjoy your life…..and enjoy being a mum…………….x

42. Alan
    UK
    November 29, 2012, 12:26 pm

Glad to hear you’ve not been extradited. I was eager to see what had happened to you after watching banged up abroad. What you went through must have been awful, but you were so brave.
    It’s crazy what you’ll do or you’re mind will let you do. Mental illnesses such as depression can not be taken lightly. Some people don’t understand but it can really affect you.
    I hope you can now enjoy your life. Thanks for sharing your story.

43. Paul
    UK
    December 1, 2012, 12:39 pm

The main point about punishment is that a perpetrator will experience enough emotional pain that they will not re offend. I think nearly everyone who has posted here will agree Lucy will NEVER re offend, she has learned her lesson for certain. She is an attractive woman and the physical and emotional abuse she would almost certainly of endured would be punishment far out of proportion to the crime. If the journalism is accurate she committed the crime out of desperation not greed and I don’t believe any Judge in Argentina would of taken that point into consideration. I hope Lucy you are putting that courage and sharp thinking (apart from the river swim, just dead lucky with that) to very good use now!? Have an amazing life and tell your story to Kids, maybe you’ll save a few from themselves?

44. Himz
    mumbai
    December 5, 2012, 8:09 am

really touched by lucy’s story…. all the best for your future!!

45. Peter goodman
    Uk
    December 5, 2012, 1:20 pm

Brilliant story. I would of done exactly the same in her position on bail. For me this story shoe just how easy it can all go wrong. All it takes is one bad decision.
    The drug dealers are sharks looking for someone in a vulnerable position and then they pounce.

46. Benjamin
    USA
    December 6, 2012, 5:41 pm

This was one of the best Locked Up stories I have seen. I agree that it could be the basis for a great movie. I also think that we have all made mistakes and should not judge others. She went through more in 10 weeks than many go through in a lifetime. Lucy has paid for her mistake.

47. GB Singh
    Australia
    December 13, 2012, 7:31 am

What a good effort to get away. I once ran from the authorities in Calcutta in similar circumstances. I didn’t cross rivers but swam across three canals. It wasn’t until I reached the far canal that I realised I was safe. All this for attempting to smuggle three pieces of naan bread and some vindaloo across the Pakistani border.

48. paul
    usa
    December 17, 2012, 9:24 pm

I am mesmerized with the actress who plays lucy. Can there be anybody more beautiful than she is? Oh my goodnessss.

49. Marcos Skayff
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    December 29, 2012, 1:13 am

I see almost the whole show was filmed in Uruguay. Why didn’t Lucy think of escaping to Uruguay instead of Brazil?

50. Effy
    West Midlands - UK
    January 2, 2013, 11:15 pm

I watched the episode of BUA which featured her story, it was absolutely amazing how much balls and determination she had to head to the border and swim to Brazil and eventually make her way back to the UK and fight her extradition, rather than just cry about her situation. She deserves her freedom.

To the people saying that she should still face “justice”, she may have committed what is considered a fairly serious crime, yes, but she didn’t actually hurt anyone and was simply a pawn to the gangsters using her, as well as to her own problem with debt and addiction. Drugs being treated as a criminal problem and prohibition are precisely why there is a large drugs problem in the world, if they were legalised and controlled to licensed clinics or even markets, the criminal scum would lose their black market on them. Had this girl been extradited she would have faced particularly inhumane and degrading treatment simply because A) she’s foreign and B) she’s a white pretty woman who would’ve suffered from intimate searches from male guards – and possibly worse. How would this be fair?

51. Tahir
    Mexico
    January 6, 2013, 7:26 am

She got pregnent because she still had that feeling she’d be sent back. How evil…

52. Tahir
    Mexico
    January 6, 2013, 7:30 am

On top of that, it’s absolutely false that the Argentine prison system is a harsh one. Some where in Brazil, maybe… but Argentina? No way, This the reason why leftist get away with everything. Not everything on this earth is plain sailing.

53. laurel
    central Florida
    January 6, 2013, 6:21 pm

You people are making it sound like the big bad drug dealers tied her down and forced her to take and smuggle drugs, she chose to knock on the drug dealers’ door. She brought all of this on herself and only has herself to blame. Cry me a river already!

She should rot in prison.

54. Mk adit
    January 10, 2013, 2:17 am

brave & lucky,

55. Sai
    Hyderabad
    January 10, 2013, 7:44 am

This Nat Geo series can be a wonderful lesson to all of us. Amazing drama, enactment and narration. I also loved the one about Piers Hernu in Nepal gold bust.

I would like to know what percentage of these mules go straight to the customs people (on their own) before the X-Ray scan and admit that they made a mistake, or that they are being conned/threatened by gangsters. I admit, those stories won’t be half as interesting, but I wonder about existence of such people.

56. Paul
    Canada
    January 10, 2013, 11:27 pm

Whilst I agree she should have faced prison, I’ll admit that I’d do exactly the same if I were in her position. Considering fate has been so forgiving to her, I think the least she could do is switch to working as a drug rehab nurse – in an attempt to prevent others from making the same mistake. My concern is that her successful escape may make other young people believe the same is possible if they decide to smuggle drugs. Sheer. Dumb. Luck. Most people end up in foreign prisons in terrible conditions. Don’t smuggle drugs people.

57. Ebarrie
    January 13, 2013, 7:01 pm

The actress is caroline ohara not catherine. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2415041/

58. vecrostripes
    UK
    January 31, 2013, 11:43 am

Personally , I thought this tale had more holes in it than gorgonzola .
    She was supposedly hooked on crack .
    1) Where was she obtaining it in BA , bearing in mind she spoke limited spanish and didn’t know the place ?
    2) How was she paying for the stuff , if she had no money with her ?
    3 ) How was she feeding her habit on a 400 mile journey of several bus changes ?
    4) How comes the drug dealers didn’t come after her when she was back in the UK ?
    5) How did she miraculously kick her habit ?
    6 ) There is no extradition treaty between the UK and Argentina , so the UK police probably wouldn’t have accepted and served a warrant for her arrest .
    Assuming any of this tale is true …
    All these posters saying she deserved prison , etc .please note :
    The Argentine govt is hugely complicit in the drugs trade and Ezeiza flights to Europe are now a major conduit for the cocaine traffickers . She would have been a mere footsoldier in a big network .
    Whilst not condoning drug trafficking in any way , there are far bigger fish to fry than some frightened ex nurse from Bolton .

59. Nielly
    USA
    January 31, 2013, 6:19 pm

Caroline O ‘Hara is brilliant

60. Roberto Daniel Martin Actis
    February 8, 2013, 9:19 pm

you should be very happy to be in argentina, see other countries as peru o mexico..england girl…say thank to argentina..they leave free……….

61. Laura
    February 10, 2013, 2:45 am

The most important thing is that you knew and recognised you did wrong. You paid what you did and deserve to live a normal life. I am happy you didnt have to go back to Argentina. Jails in latinamerica are not a payment to crimes, they are punishments and the idea is to make people become worse.

62. Sam
    February 12, 2013, 7:41 pm

Im glad she got away and is free. The punishment doesn’t fit the crime. A year is plenty. Hopefully she will make a book or movie and retire.

63. Chicho
    Texas
    February 21, 2013, 1:11 am

Shut up Tahir. Eres pinche baboso guey.

64. Nadeem Hamid
    Pakistan
    February 26, 2013, 8:42 pm

Great Adventure Lucy Wright! I love you. Believe that only God can do that. Jesus saved you and granted you a blessed life! Be thankful to Him. Thanks Geo Graphic T.V

65. Usual lover
    AMERICA
    March 2, 2013, 2:15 pm

Ok. Lucy. You are not a good person. You did not commit this crime because you we’re forced to. You committed this crime because, it was an opportunity to gain personal wealth and support your drug habit. Innocent children around the world are getting addicted to drugs. And people like you, who bring drugs across borders, support the drug addictions and habits of childern as well as adults and contribute to their deaths across the world. Go to jail and serve your time!

66. roboli
    Boston - ISA
    March 5, 2013, 12:19 am

legalize it and control it. if it was legal then there wouldn’t be a need for drug dealers and drug smuggling. bring down the cost so much that drug dealing isn’t a lucrative business. an example is heroin which is harmless in controlled amounts and without all the poison that dealers add. the war on drugs is not working. frankly it’s a huge money maker for everyone, drug dealers, police departments, insurance companies. I find it funny that here in the us it is harder to get treated for heroin addiction than to actually get heroin itself. I know that Lucy smuggled coke but that was actually legal once before. Prohibition just makes people want it more and gets people killed.

67. anne
    uk
    March 5, 2013, 7:49 pm

she had no money when she fled the hostel, how did she pay for all thowe busfares and her food, 8 weeks in a row???

68. maher
    lebanon
    March 6, 2013, 6:00 am

poor this girl ,everybody make mistakes ,i watch a video she was in and telling her story so sad ,i say to lucy and to another girls there is no reason to make ur bf decide leaving u if he loves u ,lot of guys just spending coupl of years with some girls and after they have done from her and feel boring with her they just say goodbye in the point the girl should know that he wasnt love her and as he wasnt loves her she mustn’t be sad for someone who wasnt loves her and who dont deserve to be sad becauz of him or destroy her life for him,just simply when ur bf tells u that he had to leave u must know that he dont loves and u should tell him fuck off or go to the hell ,so u girlz dont destroy ur lives beauz of ur bf just when he say i have to leave u say fuck off ,

69. Jelle
    The Netherlands
    March 6, 2013, 2:05 pm

70. Jelle
    The Netherlands
    March 6, 2013, 2:13 pm

She had money when she fled from the hostel those backpackers gave it to her. But stil it’s a mirracle that nothing happpend on the way back to the UK. Really they should call her lucky lucy because she should have been catched if those lazy officials did their job. I think she has earned her freedom now.

71. maher
    March 7, 2013, 9:24 am

she is not lucky ,she is smart and strong girl ,but i blame her cauz what she did to her self was cauz of her bf he had left her without reason so it means he never loved her so she has to tell him fuck off not to hurt her self like that

72. maher
    March 7, 2013, 9:47 am

jelle, the officials r not lazy and they did the job and they r not stupid but the matter was the time , anyone like lucy situations can escape just if he move right away quickly

73. Jelle
    The Netherlands
    March 7, 2013, 12:00 pm

Maher it takes less then ten minutes to call the British autorities
    they got eight weaks but still she was able to fly of the continent with her real name and pasport. I must admit that she is a strong woman but really in a country like US or China she would not have been able to fly away without being arested. She even went to a police station to turn herself in but after ten weaks she wasn’t even reported as wanted! Do you think that is a good job? Respect for lucy guts but without the big amout of luck she wouldn’t have got away with this.

74. maher
    March 7, 2013, 5:41 pm

dear jelle yes she can fly and escape wherever she is ,and according to the police no police station in any country call the autorities for escaping untill they found that she is run out of the country ,so thats why they didnt call the autorities cauz they thought that she is still in argentina they dont call the autorities without make sure that she is run out of the country ,so they dont call the autorities in her country before they make sure that she is out of the country not only argentina police do that also anywhere thats what police does in any country first they report as wanted in loacol then they report as wanted in her country ,by the way i have 3 escaping stories of my own from 3 diffrent countries but the diffrent between my stories and lucy is i wasn’t escaping becauz of drugs or guns or murder or fake money or something but i did it i was wanted for 3 countries and i did it i escaped and they didnt catch me cauz anywhere they search about u in loacal not only for weeks for months also and after that if they didnt found u in their country they call the autorities in ur country as wanted ,so it doesnt matter if u r in us or uk or china or anywhere else u can escape if u move rightaway cauz they report as wanted in local first for weeks and months mostly ,when she went to the police station it was in brasil not in argentina it was in the first village in brasil to take report for her passport ,when they called my country the police station in my country said sorry we cant give u this person u shouldnt let him escape u should catch him in ur country but u didnt so sorry cant give u this person,so its not just like that anyone scape they call the autorities outside rightaway ,they search in loacol first

75. hanna
    March 7, 2013, 6:24 pm

For those of you who have condemned this young women please remember the mercy you met out will be the mercy you will get! It is obvious God gave Lucy much mercy, so who are we to question God’s ways. And while were at it..lets look at Argentina’s justice system. This justice system was quite willing to let Lucy go free for a fee in the sum of $200,000. That’s how serious this country was about their drug problem.

76. Dave
    Canada
    March 8, 2013, 6:27 am

One thing to consider and no one here has mentioned it, Lucy DID turn herself in when she got back to England. I think people need to consider this as they climb down off their high horse. I am fairly certain she has learned her lesson, but feeling this way does not mean I in any way condone what she did.

Hey meher, please take an english course…or two!!
    That is one brutal run on sentence you wrote there…wow.
    You are not texting to your high school buddies here, please TRY to use proper grammar and spelling…k?
    See what I did there?

77. Arghyadeep
    Calcutta,India
    March 9, 2013, 1:24 pm

Awesome story–made me speechless———-this and that tom guy’s escape from arica in chile———-absolutely breathtaking!!!but that father and son busted in china aren’t even regretting what they did!!

78. Rick
    Toronto, Canada
    March 9, 2013, 10:07 pm

I am curious as to whether all the supportive comments from her home country have anything to do with politics – specifically, the war over the Malvinas Islands (falkland Islands).

79. maher
    March 12, 2013, 10:07 am

hey dave write my name correctly first then when u write it correctly u can give advice to people ,u dont have to read my comment ,just go to ur mama gay man

80. maher
    March 12, 2013, 11:22 am

who’s wanna contact with lucy?i have her email adress msn and skype

81. maher
    March 12, 2013, 11:32 am

so dave t.c of ur business we r here to comment about lucy story only ,dont mess with people cauz u will hear bad things ,thnx for advice but i prefer to take english lesson from ur mama or ur sis it would be better so that i can learn so fast with doggie style grammar and 69 grammar and etc……..ok?hope u learned the lesson now t,c of ur business and dont mess with people

82. robertjohn chisholm
    scotland
    March 21, 2013, 6:26 pm

mental story 2tell ur grandchildren eh! im just out of the clink in north of scotland mysel for near 10click of weed but nowhere near as crazy a situation as that! was actually in porterfield nic when watched banged up abroad and remembered lucys story coz she sexy as! my kinda woman!

83. robertjohn chisholm
    scotland
    March 21, 2013, 6:33 pm

oh, ps lucy. if ur lookin for a nice scotsman! im ur man! he he!

84. Ahmed
    Ontario
    March 25, 2013, 3:18 am

Lucy, I am happy you have a clean slate now. I think drug trafficking laws are pretty open and shut cases around the around with punishments in the extremes. I think, authorities need to rewrite punishment laws in regards to trafficking, and take each case as per case. Maybe giving ultimate penalties to repeat offenders ? And a strong slap on the wrist and fine for first time offenders? So they learn there lesson?
    I must say however, is it really worth it at the end ?
    I watched quite a lot of ‘Locked up abroad’ episodes and wonder, ‘why take such a risk?’ I think it’s amazing show for people thinking about any sort of trafficking. The risk isn’t worth it !
    I wish you the very best in your life Lucy and hope you have learned your lesson !

85. Duck Francis
    Essex
    April 3, 2013, 6:26 pm

What a load of crap I’m reading on here. She broke the law and should be punished accordingly, I agree she shouldn’t be sent back to Argentia but should definitely serve her time in a British jail… She decided to smuggle drugs because she was a crack addict and wanted money, what do you think she would have done if she had got to England with the drugs? Not do it again, not take the risk or now she has realised how much money she can make take the chance again?? I wonder how many people would be saying the same thing if she wasn’t “a nice looking white girl”… I think we know the answer to that.

86. Lindsey
    Ireland
    May 3, 2013, 8:16 am

I have to agree with Duck Francis on this, whilst she seems to have turned her life around, it doesn’t send out a good message to others if she doesn’t in some way be punished for her crime. She chose to skip the country and take on 8 weeks on the run, whilst it is an amazing feet, she chose to do that, punishement isn’t a choice, you do a crime then you need to be punished. I agree that its fine if not sent back to Argentina but then she must face the crime at home, be it jail time, community service etc.

87. Ann
    USA
    May 31, 2013, 3:31 pm

I feel so bad for these desperate young people who get talked into drug smuggling. Although I agree people such as this should be required to made some sort of reperations, the jails in those 3rd world countries are inhumane and corrupt. I was rooting for her escape all the way and glad England did not send her back.

88. Rafael Medina
    California, USA
    June 1, 2013, 10:09 am

Lucy, my heart and prayers go out to you and your child. All negative comments posted by such ill judgemental people should be directed to those whome pry on the opportunity of convincing others into committing crimes during the time of greater need. You made a mistake, recognized it, and came forth to fixing it. Enjoy life Lucy!

89. Madeleine
    Tennessee, USA
    June 12, 2013, 11:21 am

I found Lucy’s story of escape from Argentina and Brazil and return to the UK to be the most incredible thing I have ever heard! A young, attractive, white woman running around a foreign countryside, unable to speak the language, and kept safe from all the harm that could have befallen her — absolutely amazing! Beginning with the judge who chose not to waste taxpayer money imprisoning accused drug smugglers, to outrunning the police, making a safe swim across what surely must have been creature-infested waters, hiking thru wilderness certainly teeming with snakes, bugs, and who-knows-what-all-else, to hitching rides, approaching strangers without being raped or worse… And finally, she avoided extradition back to Argentina and has apparently not served any time for the crime which she did, in fact, commit!! I hope this young woman truly realizes that none of this was by chance. God must have,a very special plan for Lucy’s life to have protected and blessed her so many times and in so many ways. I would be interested, in a few years, to learn what she has accomplished in her life and how she is using the myriad of second, third, and infinite chances she has been given.

90. Dill
    SF, CA, US
    June 17, 2013, 3:19 am

Unbelievably stupid but incredibly lucky. Watching your continued success throughout this episode made me a believer in cheating the system. Bravo.

91. Andrew
    Canada
    June 29, 2013, 2:06 am

I think that some of you have a misunderstanding about the purpose of prison. It is not to punish or to set an example. It is to rehabilitate the offender so as not to have them, re-offend. I think that any reasonable person would agree that Lucy is very unlikely to try this again. Yes, she knowingly committed a crime, but I dare say that she’s suffered enough.

92. Tony
    July 28, 2013, 8:30 pm

I’m at a crossroad with all this. In a way, I feel Lucy should really be sent to prison, either in Argentina or in the UK. It’s really unfair that all others in her same situation had to go through the experience of imprisonment and she only spent 24 hours behind the bars. Not fair at all, bearing in mind people like Lucy Baker spent years on end in a terrible prison in Mexico.

Having said that, I agree in this case, Lucy’s been blessed and she’s been protected from being caught somehow. She went through a hell of a lot before returning home and she was always honest about her crime. She even went to the police upon arrival in the UK to give herself in. I wish her all the best in her life and hope she really appreciates the extraordinary second opportunity she’s been given from up above.

93. Terry Davis
    UK
    August 5, 2013, 10:18 am

I watched this on TV and it is very similar to “Julie” in my book :-

“A Long Road Home” by Terry Davis

New book unravels to a intriguing teenage plot of violent sex and dire situations arising from drug trafficking and the quest to get back to the UK

UNITED KINGDOM – (Release Date June 2013) – Terry Davis offers readers a stellar work of fiction that tackles today’s alarming problems that pose a threat to the youth the world over in A Long Road Home. This gripping tale follows the life of a young woman who runs away to escape the dull life of an orphanage only to find herself trapped in the midst of the bitter reality called life as she tangles herself in human and drug trafficking.

Based in and around the ancient medieval town of Faversham, England, young Julie’s out of the ordinary adventures commences after she runs away from a spiteful Matron at the orphanage where she lived since the age of four. Oblivious of the harsh realities of the real world, she embarks on a journey that opens her eyes to the disappointing condition of the place, of the people around her, and, more importantly, the person she chooses to become.

Set against the backdrop of mid-20th century England, readers will follow the rollercoaster life the young heroine endures in search of the meaning of life and establishing her identity. They will bear witness as to how Julie copes with the tribulations that befall her along the way. Wandering aimlessly from one place to the next, she encounters people from all walks of life through chance meetings; some for a short, trivial chat, while others play a huge role in exposing her to sinful pleasures.

Intense and teeming with uninhibited passion and rage, readers will be moved as they follow her harrowing ordeals in the unforgiving streets where she has dragged herself into, A Long Road Home reveals the melancholic path teenagers were forced to take long ago in their quest to understand the world, its people and the true self.

94. Fer
    August 13, 2013, 2:00 pm

I just watched this episode, and came to internet for more information. But I can’t understand all the sympathy for this woman here.
    She voluntarily smuggled drugs for money, she escaped from police to avoid her arrest, she crossed borders without documents and avoiding proper canals, she lied to authorities, she turned to her mother at the end only for money, but here she’s seen almost like a hero? It’s ok if another “kind” of person serves prison sentence in a 3rd world jail, but god save this “innocent” white and cute 1st wold girl from stay one more day there, except for vacations or smuggling? You have to be kidding me. This is a lesson for all young people wanting to smuggling “down there”, if you’re caught, they are “lazy” to put you behind bars, so you can always come back and we are defending you from extradition, successfully arguing that their jails are not enough safe for our girls.
    For God’s sake. I can’t believe it.

95. Paul Thompson
    Australia
    August 21, 2013, 5:15 pm

Good on her she did it got out and moved on in her life I hope she’s a goood mum stick at it life goes on second chance

96. Terry Davis
    August 25, 2013, 4:52 am

If you liked her story buy the book
    “A Long Road Home” by Terry Davis
    You won’t be disappointed

97. pat
    MI
    September 9, 2013, 9:28 pm

I am a boring person. No trouble with the Law and I understand some people’s anger at drug smuggling, Until…. I went to visit a friend in LA and never been there. Not knowing anybody I would make conversations with the Locals or should I say they make conversation with me. I had met people in nice suburbs that I NEVER EVER thought would be smugglers!?? I asked them why? You came from Mexico and live her in nice Thousand Oaks that’s classy. Why would you risk being sent to a prison from Mexico or US and lose your family after you just got to be a legal citizen? Are you stupid? He said I understand your anger Gringo and sorry I brought it up and tempted you to think on smuggling cause money isn’t really that great. You have to understand that for him to come to US and get green card and gain citizenship the Drug Lords take your wife that’s already an American they set up and when you get a kid born in USA that doesn’t mean I get to become a citizen. They say (Mexican Mafia) told him how you like to be home in US with your wife and child. I say that’s my dream!! They tell me this can happen. He asked how? How you make this happen?? They say we have fool proof methods. They smuggle it in pool granulated chlorine. I was mad!!! Then they sent him pictures of his wife and kid with a terrible know killer and wife doesn’t know this. Mafia said you smuggle these drugs into the U.S. 10 times I set you up with money and life in U.S. yes? He said no. Mafia say you don’t understand? You think we get your woman over her and you visit and have a kid and they become citizens by accident? Where is your loyalty? They told him you say no we kill your wife and keep child and you say no? Then your child is raised by mothers in mafia and you lose everything! O.o. Mexican mafia say if caught worse thing you go to US jail much better than Mexican prison and he had no choice but to smuggle. He said after ten x’s I’m free? They say of course! So he does it and turns out he was sleeping with a prostitute and child wasn’t even his and they gave him small amount of money and broken dreams but he is Citizen now and this is what happens to many people!! He said I ask you because your clean cut and American pie looking honest face and they don’t check you if you because got hotel room in tourism areas that Americans visit allot. I even know older people that that cannot afford expensive medical medicine that they can’t afford in US or operations that smuggling their own medicine back to US because they don’t get stopped at border then realize they can make a fortune smuggling pills back to USA because dogs aren’t even really trained for pharmaceutical pills so they buy boxes of OxyMorphine because Social Security they can’t live on in decent safe neighborhood and this is how they survive. But don’t hate the smugglers as much as the Criminal Suppliers that use them as pawns!!! :/

98. osama
    kuwait
    September 14, 2013, 3:58 pm

Lucy has a unique story.. Hope I meet here one day

99. Beast mode
    October 1, 2013, 5:24 am

What a lady. Lucy im here for you if you need a real man.

100. juan manuel
    Argentina
    October 8, 2013, 8:07 pm

Deserves prison as everyone else

She is no hero

England sets a bad example on this matter

101. YASHWANT CHHAPERWAL
    Mumbai, India
    November 26, 2013, 4:38 pm

Freed on the basis of Human rights? Than what about the human rights of the women get raped or murdered by drug addicts. What about the human rights of people countries like afghanistan where NATO is safeguarding opume for billions for their govt. Offenders must be punished.

Another similar case is, in which Italy govt trying every bit to save their navy persons who are being tried in INdia for killing 2 fishermen. Should they be freed on such basis? Than, White skin countries, Officially change your Laws and allow ur ppl to commit crime outside, Dont play so diplomatic.

102. Abodey Merjan
    Babil
    December 25, 2013, 11:35 am

were r she today ?? I hope she wont be in troubles ..

103. Val
    Australia
    December 29, 2013, 9:18 am

She is owning up to the responsibility and prospect of prison time, but no one can blame her for being relieved of her “getting away with it”.. She too understands that if she does the time, so be it, she’s happy that it will be served closer to her family. I don’t consider her a hero, not by any means… But I respect her demeanor.. She knows she’s done wrong, she overcame huge obstacles of fight or flight and she’s not coming across as a person who is saying “but why must I still be charged, it’s been two years”… Instead, she’s keeping her spirits high and awaiting the consequences…

All I can say Lucy, I wish you the best of luck for a great outcome. Drug dealers wouldn’t have taken a “ill just throw this out at the airport because I’ve changed my mind” attitude, you did the best with what you had… God bless

104. jD
    California
    January 2, 12:08 am

You people who call her “brave” and “brilliant” are funny. I have first hand experience with family members lives ruined because of cocaine and she knowingly tried to spread that poison.

105. website
    January 5, 2:01 pm

Definitely one way you could very well become debt free is utilizing a legitimate credit card debt settlement provider. Be certain you will get the free consolidation rate to determine the amount of money you are able to reduce your debt. This will eliminate large amounts of issues.

106. Federico
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    January 23, 10:14 pm

Feel sorry for the suffering of this Lucy girl. Everyone can be at the wrong place in the wrong time, hangin up with the wrong people. She’s a small fish in a yet much bigger chain of organized crime. Police should have let her go to UK and arrest the whole “cartel”. Even better, goverments everywhere should control the users and make legal but restricted the use of some “ilegal” drugs.

107. piriapolis
    cordoba
    January 25, 6:17 am

Thanks a bunch Lucy, actions such as yours not only assist in spreading narcotics but has the added effect of bringing suspicion to honorable people and their families living abroad. I cold perhaps be more lenient in my viewpoint if you were caught in a country with say a death penalty or a very lengthy sentence…..but Argentina……come on. You just didn’t want to own your choice. That’s a karma you’ll never be able to properly justify to yourself.

108. anand bargale
    india
    February 27, 4:47 am

I seen her story many times and great dare ,salute to you lucy.
    most welcome to india.

109. pirlou40
    algerino
    May 9, 6:44 pm

You have strong person. Never gave up.

110. George
    USA
    May 17, 4:17 am

For all the idiots who where saying for her to be sent back u switch roles with her and see how it feels. I think she’s already paid the price plus she’s gonna be looking over her shoulders all the time anyways, she doesn’t need anymore

111. Muhammad Azfar
    Pakistan
    May 18, 7:39 am

Addicted to this show and its one of the best story ever seen on banged up abroad. Can say Lucy Wright was innocent but not fully she played her part in drug trafficking and learnt her lesson at the same time which she deserves. Nonetheless we are all humans and made mistakes but after realizing mistakes, makes us a better person. This is what has happened to her and in her hopefully. Bravo Lucy Wright.