The season is short – only 100 days from the first thaw until the ground and rivers freeze up again. Determined men and women suffer through physical and emotional pain as they head out to remote locations to mine for gold.  They will either strike it rich or go broke trying.

Among those ‘going for the gold’ are:  John Reeves, one of the largest private landowners in the state.  With gold prices soaring, John is taking a second look at the properties he owns.  Helping him in hunt for treasure is an archive of old maps that will hopefully point him to where the gold is on his vast property. He brings in his city slicker kids to help him prospect and hopefully find the mother lode.

Then there’s Doug Baker. Part brilliant mining engineer, part mad scientist, Doug leads his family mining operation: the down-and-dirty Mudminers.  Doug is half a million dollars in the hole after a disastrous season last year. If this season isn’t his best, it will be his last.

Finally, we have CCR Mining, a company started by two young upstarts, Creighton Lapp and Chuck Tillian, who are looking to join the big leagues. They have leased a mining claim that is supposedly “gold rich” from Clark Durant. CCR has high hopes for the season, but get off to a slow start amid a series of miscommunications.

Tune in to the premiere of Goldfathers: Race for Gold tonight at 10P et/pt

Comments

1. william vye
    halifax, Nova Scotia
    May 4, 2012, 6:08 pm

When can we see the Goldfather on the Canadian National Geographic channel?

2. william vye
    halifax, Nova Scotia
    May 4, 2012, 6:10 pm

Don’t know what moderation means?

3. john
    May 4, 2012, 9:14 pm

The narrator for this show is very annoying. He needs to be replaced.

4. Joe
    May 4, 2012, 10:15 pm

Where did NatGeoTV get the narrator fo this show? Worst ever! His raspy voice makes it hard to watch. Please get another.

5. Rich
    Cameron Park
    May 5, 2012, 8:21 pm

The idea is great but the only segment of any substance was Mudminers. Lazy Reeves and his equally lazy family was classically stupid. The witching wands were interesting hocus locus that promises to be interesting. But give us more of the real miners and that appears to be Mudminers.

6. Lance
    May 5, 2012, 10:12 pm

Nat Geo took what could be a great show with this topic and gave it the worst narrator. Why does he need to talk like that? The best shows…deadliest catch, gold rush, etc.. have a narrator that sounds like a normal person not a hillbilly. Too bad I don’t know that I will be able to take it.

7. [...] probably need that RV in Quartzsite for at least three months. With the debut of the show Goldfathers last night , a show about families in Alaska mining for gold, one in three Alaskans now star in a [...]

8. Jim jhmalaska
    California
    May 6, 2012, 8:52 am

I liked the premier show. It was far better than the other gold shows I have watched. Goldfathers so far does not have the extreme bad language and violence shown in Bearing sea gold, nor does it have the heavy and constant breakdowns and failures as portrayed in Gold Rush Alaska. I will enjoy watching goldfathers. A seasoned gold miner and rock hound, Assistant claims director of United Prospectors Inc. Also belong to three other gold mining clubs. Mined for gold north of the Artic circle, searched for gold on the beaches of Nome and along the Cripple river.

9. Goldfathers on Nat. Geo. channel
    May 7, 2012, 8:21 pm

[...] hard to be Sam Elliot, LOL! Heres a coupla links- Video — Goldfathers — National Geographic Meet the Goldfathers – Nat Geo TV Blogs Reply With Quote   [...]

10. Earl Gruff
    Crappersville
    May 7, 2012, 9:59 pm

” I like those French Fried Potatoes “

11. Mike
    May 7, 2012, 10:06 pm

Please for the love of God, will u guys get rid of that mush mouth, illiterate, throat cancer patient talking over your interesting show.

12. craig lamx
    boise Idaho
    May 7, 2012, 10:10 pm

I’m with John, what genious came up with the totally annoying announcers character? Lord when this guy talks, I feel like I’m watching a 1960’s documentary. I you were searching for a Mike Row clone, you ain’t even in the same Country.

13. vinn
    Michigan
    May 8, 2012, 12:25 am

Too funny! Drama drama drama, I like the voice of the narator, I think its the best part and most real! I just wonder how mutch he smokes befor perfrming? There is some trueth to dowsing, but not for metal, they work for water!? Simply amazing!!!!? What a show sad coppy of another….
    Do they have an auction one yet? O never minde I forgot they did do that PAWN QUEENS same diff,

14. vinn
    Michigan
    May 8, 2012, 12:29 am

its better than alot of stuff on TV though!

15. americanjedi
    California
    May 8, 2012, 1:44 am

First this show is biting Discovery Channel but now at days everyone copies someone so that is not too bad but….the narrator needs to be canceled!! MAKE HIM GO AWAY!!!! WORST VOICE OVER PERFORMANCE IN THE HISTORY OF TELEVISION!!! HORRIBLE I HATE THIS SHOW JUST BECAUSE OF HIM!!! GET SOMEONE ELSE OR EVEN HAVE A CRYING SCREAMING BABY DO THE VOICE OVER FOR AN HOUR!! AAAAHHHH!!!! I HATE THAT GUY

16. Chipster
    Washington
    May 8, 2012, 4:26 am

The narrator makes this show hard to watch. His voice is very annoying and he sounds like he is drunk. He also has very bad voice inflection. This could be a good show without the narrator. Also the writer needs quite a bit of help. Some of the fill content sounds like it was written by a small child trying to sound smart.

17. Art Pack
    Arizona
    May 8, 2012, 4:43 am

This show learned from some of the mistakes made by the other gold mining shows. At least they are starting out with somewhat more competence and diversity than just focusing on the beginners like Gold Rush. Also, they don’t seem to have anybody that will totally stink up the show with his emotional outbursts and rage like in Bering Sea Gold. Unfortunately, they have unnecessarily burdened us with a narrator that they must think adds an appropriate amount of grit to the show with his gravelly good-old-boy folksy tone. This ends up just being annoying. It’s hard to fathom what they were thinking…

18. Maria
    Minnesota
    May 8, 2012, 6:55 am

Worst show I have seen on Nat Geo. What was up with the Reeve’s family, I had to turn the channel when they were on. YUCK

19. john sharpe
    alabama
    May 8, 2012, 7:20 am

great show bad narrator

20. rumrunner
    KC MO
    May 8, 2012, 7:38 am

The narrator makes this other wise watchable show unwatchable. He needs to tone it down or be replaced.

21. Lj Fox
    CT
    May 8, 2012, 1:46 pm

I thought the show was great! Looking forward to the next episode!

22. JC
    The OC
    May 8, 2012, 3:59 pm

The narrator is HORRIBLE. I took me a few minutes to figure out why I was finding this show so painful to watch. Photography is good, subject matter is interesting, good locations and stories to be told.

We do NOT need a guy who sounds like a drunken grizzled prospector to tell us about gold…

23. vinn
    May 8, 2012, 11:28 pm

Art Pack said it best, but I dont minde the naration, he sounds between 65 & 75, smoked two packs a day and lived in the woods.? Igreww up with that! he is prob my age (43) but thats what thet are trying to portray. (I think)? I have a 15 year old and sure as heck did not appeciat the way they showd thous girls. It was like an angel to get male viewers. my opinion. Dont whant to upset anybody. sorry if I did.

24. Earl Gruff
    May 8, 2012, 11:55 pm

I think he needs some chapstick for his butt like that Gary Oldman movie.

25. vinn
    May 8, 2012, 11:59 pm

mike rowe cant narate everything, but he is narator king! and makes crapy dramma somewhat tolerable!!!!! go MIKE Dirty Jobs!!!!

26. Brian
    dayton ohio
    May 9, 2012, 4:44 pm

John Reeves has some beautiful daughters ;)

27. Burt Skabaldy
    Oregon
    May 10, 2012, 11:08 am

His wife is pretty good looking to. That’s where they got their good looks for sure. Show is awesome. Narrator awful.

28. David DeSau
    Neskowin, OR
    May 11, 2012, 9:17 pm

Who is the narrator for this Show ? His voice is terrible – we can’t watch it with this clown – please get somebody who has a decent voice – this guy sounds like some old drunk !

29. tviewer
    May 11, 2012, 10:57 pm

GREAT show; seriously, I was pleasantly surprised!!
    However, the narrator is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!! Please
    Natgeo, find someone other who doesn’t need to keep pushing their teeth back in their mouth!

30. BR
    arkansas
    May 12, 2012, 12:10 am

If you want me to watch the show…bleep out the curse words like G-da## and di#k and dumba##. I watch tv with my kids and I have no interest in them hearing these words. Also, your narrarator is annoying. I will give you one more episode before I quit watching. I hope its cleaned up!

31. Rich
    Colorado
    May 12, 2012, 1:06 am

Dear NatGeo – The narrator you’ve hired for Goldfathers is the worst narrator in my opinion. He sounds like he’s trying to impersonate and channel David Carradine, but in a much worse way. I hope you didn’t sign a long-term contract with him, because he sucks.

32. Jessica Morley
    colorado
    May 12, 2012, 1:52 am

Gold fathers is a great show! I love when the guys go blasting while waiting for permits. Gold fathers is way better than those other mining shows. I will be watching and waiting for the next one.

33. Earl Gruff
    May 12, 2012, 3:32 am

Tried to watch it again but I couldn’t take that narrator dude for more than a couple of minutes. I even had a fresh roll of toilet paper ready.

34. Grant
    Vista
    May 13, 2012, 10:16 am

I like the show. It could of been better… I like John and Clark

35. patty
    illinois
    May 14, 2012, 5:38 pm

You have to replace that Narrator….he is awful and annoying……Mike Rowe rocks at narrating….just saying

36. Louie
    Texas
    May 14, 2012, 6:13 pm

Interesting show…narrator sounds cool; sounds like Sam Elliott to me. He is one sexy man! It’s nice to hear a man talk like a man.

37. Jacob
    May 14, 2012, 10:55 pm

The CCR crew seems like a fun bunch. Can’t wait to see what trouble they cause next week.

38. Allen
    May 15, 2012, 10:10 am

BORING!!!

Reeves kids born into wealth panning for gold… absolutely nothing to risk. BORING!

Too much narrator…

39. Burt Skabaldy
    Oregon
    May 15, 2012, 12:27 pm

Read on some tweets of people in the show that there isn’t going to be a second season with NatGeo so you guys can complain all you want about the Narrators voice. NatGeo honey badger don’t give a you know what. I really like the program and can’t believe NatGeo doesn’t want to do another year. Heck this show is much better than GoldRush and that show in Nome. Maybe the GoldRush guys should lease some ground fromtThat ol dude Clark Durant where Doug Baker is mining.

40. Rammer
    May 15, 2012, 6:05 pm

Too bad they followed the “Gold Rush” formula so closely. Very repetitive with the money troubles and over stated drama “that could end their entire season.” Not to mention the worst narration voice ever.

There was room for an educated man’s gold reality/documentary show. Instead we get dumbed down formulaic bunk with the “Dukes of Hazzard”‘s narrator after 30 years spent chain smoking meth.

41. Earl Gruff
    May 16, 2012, 3:19 pm

Gold Rush blows this crap show away. This isn’t the first time National Geo copied their butt buddies. They have no talent , otherwise they would’ve picked a better narrator. I do however like Wicked Tuna. It truly depicts how ignorant Boston truly are.

42. Earl Gruff
    May 16, 2012, 3:22 pm

……..meant to say Bostonians. There’s gold in that glory hole.

43. vinn
    michigan
    May 17, 2012, 12:54 am

are any of you over they . 25? The show sucks and he is doin whant othrer wide he woukdnt get a check

44. vinn
    May 17, 2012, 12:57 am

I”m drunck or there softa
    wresucks

45. Earl Gruff
    May 17, 2012, 2:31 am

sounds like vinn just got his narrator job pink slip.

46. finegold
    north carolina
    May 18, 2012, 6:27 pm

would like to work with the reeves family,would be cool

47. hk
    May 18, 2012, 9:30 pm

Lighten up people! What would you rather have; Robin Leach spouting champagne wishes and caviar dreams? This narrator probably sounds like most folk seeking gold in alaska for the past 100 years. A little bit sensitve considering the environment in my opinion. By the way..pardon me…- do you have any grey poupon? My vote goes to the Marlboro man.

48. hk
    May 18, 2012, 9:44 pm

They may have followed up on gold rushes popularity but if you remove the new york model wannabes and add the monster nuggets gold rush show completely lacks, you got a better show..IMO.

49. sefchick
    grove city,ohio
    May 18, 2012, 10:01 pm

he sounds like the guy off major leauge…..”give him the heater ricky”!!!!

50. Kyle
    Atlanta
    May 19, 2012, 1:45 am

I am surprised that so many people don’t like the narrator. It is not Morgan Freeman, but it could be much worse. I like Gold Rush on the Discovery Channel but this show is much less dramatic and down to earth. Can’t believe the claim owner sabotaged the CCR crews equipment on this weeks episode. I hear a lawsuit coming. Show is great. Like the diverse mining crews they have picked.

51. mark
    USA
    May 19, 2012, 2:54 am

With all of the bleeping of curse words,
    I wonder why you would not cut out or bleep the cursing of God as in GD.

52. Jennifer
    Texas
    May 19, 2012, 9:01 am

Did you guys even have a continuity editor? Clearly, you got great footage and interesting subjects but you treated it like a student film. All the power is in the editing, and the editing sucks.

53. Jared Reitzin
    May 19, 2012, 2:01 pm

Like the “documentary meets reality” show style but I have to stop watching it because of the narrator. For the love of everything good, please bring in the voice of Gold Rush/Bering Sea

54. ricardo
    california
    May 19, 2012, 4:28 pm

I’m sorry! I know they need to give people a chance in this economy, but I had to stop watching the show. The narrator is really bad! I would rather watch it on mute. I don’t want to sound cruel. Just let the workers talk, instead of the narrator. You are losing thousand and thousands of watchers because of the narrator.

55. Jason
    Canada
    May 21, 2012, 4:57 pm

Started to watch this today and had to see what’s up with the shitty narrator might not continue to watch it his voice just really ruins the show

56. Crochetgirl1950
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    May 21, 2012, 5:18 pm

Narrator sounds like Martin Milner who is probably in his late 70s or 80s.

57. Kevin
    Indiana
    May 21, 2012, 5:50 pm

The narrator sounds like Dr. Zoidberg from futurama. It makes me hate and love it at the same time.

58. Allen
    May 21, 2012, 9:59 pm

The Producers of the Goldfathers could learn something from successful shows, such as, ‘Duck Dynasty’… ‘Storage Wars’….

REAL people. Interesting people.

Please, no more big butt shots… expected more from NATGEO.

Boring.

59. Burt Skabaldy
    Oregon
    May 22, 2012, 3:27 am

I hope they sign up Clark and CCR for another season
    because they old dude is obviously a stoner and will provide alot of laughs. The Reeves and Baker crews don’t deliver the Gap Tooth dumbassery a show like this needs to get viewers. I agree the editing is awful but I’ll tune in to watch Clark and crew. Solid Gold Dumb and I mean 24 K Idiocy. Those GoldRush guys and dudes in NOme don’t have nothing on these morons.

60. baron
    usa
    May 22, 2012, 7:05 am

Show is okay, usual unprepared newbies, etc etc…what confounds me is land owner only getting 10 to 15percent…what’s up with that, you want to take gold ($$$) out of my land you give me a he)) of a lot more than that!!

61. BR
    Arkansas
    May 25, 2012, 11:44 pm

Ok, I watched another episode and gave you another chance. I will not watch this show again. If you won’t bleep out “GD” then I will not watch your show ever again. The first time I wrote in I figured that you would pay no attention. So, you have lost this viewer. I am offended by this sort of language, and I hope this show tanks! Goodbye! That is all!

62. Burt Skabaldy
    Oregon
    May 26, 2012, 2:30 am

God Dammit! NatGeo has now lost their only viewer from Arkansas. Now what

63. Zaid
    May 26, 2012, 3:21 am

I agree, the narrator of ths how is terrible…. very monotone and annoying, get rid of him and replace him with the likes of Thom Beers.

64. Charlie
    Florida
    June 2, 2012, 9:41 pm

Big John….what part of FLORIDA are you from? I find it hard to believe you are a native!! I think I met you in Ocala Forest many years ago when you where trying to”hunt” deer, by having your small childen use firecrackers to drive game.

65. Burt Skabaldy
    June 5, 2012, 3:06 am

That guy Big John was charged with illegal hunting of elk here in Oregon years ago by using his young children to light small forest fires in selected valleys that would force wild game to funnel in to a wicked series of set guns, mostly semi automatics with some stun grenades where the killing forest would yield a bounty of elk and venison. I hear the Arctic caribou herd has dwindled from 100,000 plus animals down to 127 in the time Big John has lived in Alaska. Coincidence? I think not

66. Scott
    ma
    June 25, 2012, 7:04 am

I have “NEVER” seen 3 more beautiful girls in my life!!! And you get your hands dirty too…AWSOME!!!

67. Ed Feathers
    June 25, 2012, 5:06 pm

That big John guy is a trainwreck. I thought the narrator was a little strange, but didn’t find it too distracting. Also, the little skinny claim owner on the CCR site seemed kind of jumpy. We need to keep our eye on him.

68. Mike
    Texas
    July 1, 2012, 6:48 pm

Those Chicks are hot!!!!

69. spike
    oceamview hawaii
    July 18, 2012, 5:50 pm

Aloha Great show & what great anouncer sounds like a real person not Percce Brosnin for sure great job its the real deal!

70. Robert
    Idaho
    July 22, 2012, 3:53 pm

Loved the show. No BS. The narrator is no mike rowe and thank goodness. I’ve stopped watching the shows he narrates. (too smooth.) I’ve met one of the Bakers and they are a great family. I hope this show gets renewed. Thanks for providing some actual reality.

71. Joe Willey
    Colorado
    August 22, 2012, 4:22 pm

My dad is on this show ( Bernie Willey – Mud Miners), I thought they did a better job showing the actual process and cost of mining gold then some of the other “gold mining” shows out. The Reeves family was kind of a joke, it would be nice if they did another season to show if they acually mined their property and was successful. The narrator was really quite annoying too!

72. Ian Robson
    Limey in US
    August 31, 2012, 11:53 am

I saw this show for the first time today.
    Is the narrator Zoidburg from Futurama?

73. bill hunngings
    DC
    October 17, 2012, 10:15 am

Is it me? or is the narorator James Gammon duing a bad dukes of hazzard impression. LOL TROLOLOLOLO This show is BAD

74. Scott
    San Diego
    November 27, 2012, 2:53 am

I love the show. The Bakers are my favorite. The narrators voice is perfect for the show.

75. tony
    nz
    January 25, 2013, 8:27 am

great show. These guys actualy work not like the hoffman idiots. The narrator is awful tho i would rather listen to a cat and a black board than his voice. That old dude clark has obviously been by himself in the wilderness for far to long and makes life hard for ccr

76. Mike Leblanc
    louisiana
    February 15, 2013, 1:53 am

I very much enjoyed all 5 episodes even though I didn’t know about the series until 2013 and watched it on youtube. Will somebody at NationalGeographic please get that narrator treated for his throat cancer!! Those 3 Reeves daughters must have been adopted ! John Reeves is nothing but a real estate speculator trying to put lipstick on pig properties so he can lease them for mineral rights. Mudminers made the series TV worth watching; they’re real and believeable as reality TV; and papa Mudminer is the only real professional, something more educated viewers would prefer. Thanks NatGeo !!

77. […] probably need that RV in Quartzsite for at least three months. With the debut of the show Goldfathers last night , a show about families in Alaska mining for gold, one in three Alaskans now star in a […]