On last night’s episode of Wicked Tuna: Greed, Ego & Jealousy the conflict between Captain Dave and Captain Kevin comes to head. Watching the Christina catch the biggest tuna Gloucester has seen all season was torture enough for uber-competitive Captain Dave of the Tuna.com. Having to deal with the taunts about it from the Christina’s Captain Kevin is more than Dave can bear.  The tuna.com crew swears to do whatever it takes to catch a bigger tuna than Kevin, and shut his mouth for good in the process. Unfortunately, Dave only has one week to accomplish this Herculean task before Kevin stops fishing for the season and leaves on top. Finishing second fiddle to Kevin is out of the question for Dave, but thousand pound tuna aren’t exactly commonplace. If Tuna.com is going to catch a tuna bigger than the Christina’s 1,075 pounder, it’s going to take all the determination, skill and luck they can muster.

Captain Kevin and the crew of the Christina learn that in giant bluefin tuna fishing, a quick rise can be followed by an ugly fall as they look to follow up their record catch with an even bigger tuna. After taunting Dave about the huge slob he caught, karma is a cruel mistress for Kevin when Dave has a front row seat to watch Kevin lose a succession of fish. Kevin’s wallet and pride both take a huge hit as he watches five figure paydays swim off his line and listens to Dave laugh about it on the radio. If Kevin can’t get it together, and fast, he’s going to finish his season remembered as the loser who couldn’t keep a fish on the line. And that is one thing Kevin will not stand for.  With only a week left in his season, time seems to be on Kevin’s side.  But when the competition is Tuna.com, you can never rest easy.

So what do you think? Was it Kevin’s fault for gloating? Or is Dave a sore loser? Who’s the villain of last night’s episode?

Comments

1. beatriz liliana trujillo
    nazareth
    April 30, 2012, 5:07 pm

son maravillosos ♠♥♠

2. ralph
    new jersey
    April 30, 2012, 8:29 pm

I understand it is competitive. Bluefins dont come easy. But Dave is the most selfish, immature little crybaby I have ever seen. He is so worried about everyone else. Just fish & shut up man! I hope whatever bad fishing luck there is, that Dave gets every bit of it.

3. lee
    May 1, 2012, 1:57 am

this show is disgusting, i would not watch it. your best shows are border wars and navajo cops

4. Chuck Luscomb
    Connecticut
    May 2, 2012, 9:06 am

I realize these guys are working for a living here and it is very competative. A note for Dave on Tuna.com…. Don’t loose site of the fact that you know where the fish are how to put them in the boat. Leave these other guys alone. If you spent as much time fishing as you did worrying about these other guys, you would be so far ahead, no one could catch you. Do NOT send these other guys on wild goose chases. There will come a time when you will need them for something critical and they won’t come to your rescue. You can be helpful without being “helpful”. And lastly, Nice boat….

5. Barry
    North Dakota
    May 2, 2012, 4:32 pm

This show could be so good, but it’s so bad! You guys act like you own the ocean. I wish I could come out there from landlocked North Dakota and just be a “googan” for a week! This show isn’t about Tuna, it’s about dysfunctional egos. Last night, Dave thought that when Kevin caught a fish, he was “effing” with .com? Really, by earning a living? Lastly, it’s a show more about beeps than anything. Beep this…or Beeeeeeeping Dave, or beeeeep those beeeeping googans! What a joke. Paul doesn’t seem to know more than 3 words, one of which is the F bomb. Plus, he talks like Fran Drescher.

6. sharon
    Maryland
    May 5, 2012, 10:28 am

I was married to a waterman for over 20 years and speaking for experience, the show, tells just how they are. but does not say what they do to each other. Waterman hate when a pinhooker, as they are better know, part timer, a person who works on land and goes out to catch fish on the weekend, gets on there spot, They also hate it when another waterman does, Some of these waterman carry guns on there boats and use them to on the other person.
    They also carry this feud on to land to, and than it gets really ugly. Some waterman have had there homes burned down, tires cut on there trucks, And boats sunk. But the show is not showing that part. and waterman do have a mouth that needs a bar of soap in it too. They will also go as far as to cut the other guys gear off. (ropes). I know all this for a fact.

7. Mitch
    IL
    May 5, 2012, 2:35 pm

It’s not a reasonable question to ask who is the villain and limit it to the last episode. This ignore all manner of history that could account for actions seen then. Dave is driven and no doubt takes everything very seriously. But you have to be an idiot not to understand this is why he is consistently the best there. Furthermore Dave is seldom childish or petty> You hear a consistent stream of childish remarks and people blaming him for not telling them where to fish etc. And you see his opposition gloating in harassing him. He acts far more mature than most of them and does not reciprocate most of the time. Nor does he indulge in character assassination like they do regularly. Selfish lazy people who don’t work to be as professional as they could will always denigrate and “hate on” those who do. If they had a modicum of sense they’d emulate Dave and his crew and quit whining about their self-created failings. If you had to make your living doing this which boat would you like to learn on? If you say anything other than “dot com” you deserve the failure you get.

8. blamb61
    May 5, 2012, 10:54 pm

Capt. Kevin losing those 5-fish.

Lighten up the drag and don’t handline it so hard! If your pulling that many hooks – your pulling too hard!

9. Carol Bretonne
    May 6, 2012, 4:45 pm

You, Nat. Geo. are the bad guys. I hope they never catch another tuna. Isn’t it bad enough that they have fished out the tuna in the Mediterranean? Why do you think they cost so much? Because there are almost none left. I thought that Nat. Geo. was about preserving the animals and to show us how beautiful they are. Now you can report on the dead ones. Are you that money hungry?

10. Zack
    Texas
    May 6, 2012, 10:44 pm

The best Captain hands down Marciano, family man and very determined to get it done when it counts. Captain Ralph I understand when he gets pi**** off when the googans show up. he has to make a living and these guys are just there messing around. keep it going guys and lets keep our blue fin going strong. Wicked tuna is wicked cool.

11. horsenbuggy
    not on the ocean
    May 7, 2012, 8:09 am

I grew up around sport fishermen, not professional fishermen. I totally understand the “secretive” nature of fishing. If people would re-evaluate how Dave from Tuna.com has been edited, they’d realize that the ONLY “bad” thing he did was to send the old guy on a wild goose chase. While I don’t agree with that, I don’t think the old guy should have just expected Dave to tell him where he was, either. All of the captains have been jerks when they find someone else fishing on their numbers, especially when it’s not a commercial fisherman. So why should any of them be obligated to tell the others where they are fishing? They all get ticked off when people anchor up too close to them, so why was it OK for Kevin to intentionally do it to the Tuna.com? It wasn’t. Dave has been cast as the villain simply because he’s the best. Since he’s the best, the viewers don’t want to see him continue to prosper. But just because the others aren’t catching fish, doesn’t mean they ALL shouldn’t be. I feel bad for those who are having a bad season, but even the captains who hate Dave are willing to admit that he works hard. What really meant a lot to me was when the old captain tried to weasle information out of the guys at the tackle shop and they wouldn’t tell him anything. That should tell the viewers that being discreet is part of the fishing game. You don’t deserve information about what other people are doing or where they’re fishing just because you asked for it. If someone is willing to give you information, fine, but you need to respect their trade secrets. It could be something as simple as those shots where Pirate has a hard time getting the birds to leave the chum alone. He yells at the birds, but he never changes his tactics. But on the tuna.com, they use a chum bucket thing to drop the chum deeper in the water so the birds won’t steal it. It’s a simple device, but it makes a world of difference if it means that the chum is actually getting to the tuna to get them up in the water column.

As for the bad language, I agree that I don’t like it. But that’s just what it’s like. The phrase “cusses like a sailor” didn’t come into existance for no reason.

12. scrubbos
    marblehead
    May 7, 2012, 2:08 pm

The people who say Dave is the bad guy don;t have a clue. Kevin follows Dave around and fishes close to him on purpose to irritate him. Let Kevin find his own fishing spot.

13. scrubbos
    marblehead
    May 7, 2012, 2:11 pm

By the way. Paul on Daves boat is the most entertaining of them all.

14. Gavin shea
    Kailua Hawaii
    May 13, 2012, 6:14 pm

Honestly…, you guys are wimps and have no clue on how to fish!…., trolling is not that hard and can be easily done… you guys make it seem like it’s life and death…, come to Hawaii and truly learn how it’s done… And cut the shaka’s because you have no idea what it means…,

15. Gavin shea
    May 13, 2012, 6:19 pm

You guys actually spear fish…, idiots!!!!!…., ever heard of a gaff?…, wimps!!!

16. Yoohoo
    Yoohoo, Australia
    May 21, 2012, 4:36 am

I’d be embarrassed to behave like any of these guys. Not a lot of brains on the water, and a lot of mental illness looks like.

17. steve wenckus
    Newton MA
    June 3, 2012, 8:58 pm

Billy and Scott on the Bounty Hunter are the biggest idiots out there..talking such shit about Paul not catching them any fish and then change their tune after they do such assholes…really grow up Scott you big mouth jerkoff, go back to your day job and whine to someone else that they are not doing your job there too you chum….p….

18. TornougsusarD
    July 3, 2012, 11:26 pm

I wanted to distinguish what can workers a bee in single’s animation so that’s hither it not who could not offer an exact answer.

19. sandybeach
    wollaston ma
    January 18, 2013, 1:02 am

I loved the show last year, but the PINHEAD from the pinwheel is an arrogant, ignorand twit who has no manners or respect for the other men.He adds nothing to the show.If I wanted to see someone act like a horse’s ass I would watch Jersey Shore, not a show on Nat Geo.

20. kimi cain
    circleville,oh
    January 26, 2013, 11:05 pm

I love this show! I think the guys are great and love what they do! Hard merchendise has my back, no dought! But I love what Dave is about too. All about fishing at it’s best. I don’t like the fact that Kevin came back to the show and with a harpon boat at best. Ass Whole!!! I’m sorry but it gets me that he really thinks it will help him get over on Dave! LOL!@!@!! Oh, What fun! thanks NatGeo. Your the Greatest!

21. Jack Atkinson
    Vancouver wa. Born and raised in gloucester
    April 11, 2013, 5:16 pm

This is the worst bunch of assholes I have ever seen. Thank God I don’t fish for tuna anymore. 1959 thru 1962, it was fun. These people are an insult to all Gloucester fishermen. Go to the cut and see the names of all those who died, but worked together to make sure all made a living and raised their families. As a Gloucesterite, you disgust me!

22. greg sill
    california
    April 21, 2013, 11:45 pm

DAVE IS THE MOST ARROGANT WHIMP, POOR SPORT I HAVE EVER SEEN ON TV. FIRE THIS IDIOT. HE NEVER SMILES, HAS NO SENSE OF HUMOR, AND IT’S ALL ABOUT COMPETITION, NOT THE FACT THAT THESE FISH ARE ENDANGERED. HE MAKES ME SICK. I AM GOING TO STOP WATCHING YOUR SHOW ( AND I AM IN THE TV BUSINESS ) I NEVER BLOG. BUT THIS GUY IS AN EMBARRASSMENT TO YOU NETWORK. BYE WICKED TUNA!!!!!

23. Davidbocek
    Baltimore
    May 5, 2013, 9:03 pm

Stupid hats have no credibility

24. Alan J.
    California
    May 18, 2013, 3:10 am

I just caught this show, I’ve never seen such a bunch of men acting like children. The only captain that acts his age is the one on Hard Merchandise. I guess if they didn’t all act like idiots no one would watch the show.