Tonight’s special episode of Doomsday Preppers will revisit the best and most extreme preppers from the series’ first season, incorporating never before seen footage.  To start out, viewers will get a glimpse at some of the best bunkers for taking shelter–from Ed Peden’s missile silo to Martin Colvill’s big rig sleeper cab. We’ll explore how these preppers have customized, tricked out and gotten creative with their end of days homes.

From there, the novice prepper will get a lesson in how best to stockpile food. Kellene Bishop will share her tips for preserving raw eggs. John Barlow will teach us to look beyond yesterday’s leftovers for our next meal. Steve Pace will show us just how close to home we can find a water source.

Viewers will also get some lessons in self-defense. Pat Brabble demonstrates his impressive firearms collection, while Tim Ralston reminds us all that safety is always the first priority. But there are other means of self-defense beyond guns, and Jason Charles will show us that a good knife can thwart just about any attacker. Mike Mester shows us that dogs can be more than the family pet and Doug Huffman will disappear before viewers’ eyes.

Ultimately, the best means of self preservation may be bugging out and these preppers have accounted for every variable in their get out of dodge plans. Paul Range and his herd of goats take to the dirt roads of Texas in his retired school bus caravan. Barry Knowles takes to the high seas after he leads his family on a midnight hike through the woods, and Megan Hurwitt lets her own two feet to guide her to safety.

Think you’ve got what it takes?  You’ve got nothing on these preppers.

Tune in to Doomsday Preppers: Extreme Prep Edition tonight at 9P et/pt

Comments

1. Jeff Truitt
    Hickory NC
    April 24, 2012, 5:03 pm

I can’t believe you just showed a guy, trying to start an IV on his wife!! He put the IV cath in upside down!! you go up toward the head!! where did he get IV fluids? good show otherwise.. so who are your “experts” that judge everyone??

2. Gracie
    San Diego,Ca.
    April 24, 2012, 7:33 pm

Im cleaning my kitchen and listening at the same time to this show Preppers….why would you put this type of trash on your so respected and reputable channel.You are allowing these people to show and “educate” how to kill people to defend a piece of food….please dont endorse this type of behavior…that is the reason why we have soooo much hate in this world….I worry for the children of these people so young and innocent,the first thing they will learn is hate,greed,fear…..and to be honest with you I dont think these type of people will be saved.

3. kevin
    jax fl
    April 24, 2012, 8:06 pm

i know its not on this episode, but i happen to seen one episode where the prepper had medical supplies, and was practicing IV’s. And i noticed he inserted it backwards, maybe suggesting medical training in his prepping so he dont hurt his family more than they already would be!>

4. Shawn Lewis
    California
    April 27, 2012, 3:35 am

Nobody really knows if this is going to kick off or not. I know one thing for sure, I got my garden seeds just in case. Even if this doomsday never happens, I can still use my garden seeds to grow healthy food. People should be prepared anyways. I found this web site that offers 150 different vegetable varieties for 30 bucks! seed4food.com

5. Harry
    Indianapolis
    May 6, 2012, 7:25 am

What are the best books and referances on becoming a prepper and prepper education? Also, what books and referances on prepper straitigy would be good? What are the best recommened web sites? I need the knowledge.

6. Judah Hamilton
    Virginia
    May 7, 2012, 3:24 pm

Harry,
    The best books for prepping and prepper survival can be found here.

That site in general covers everything you would ever need to know about prepping and it is a really good place to start.

7. Louise
    Sydney Australia
    July 12, 2012, 1:44 am

This is a great program.

During WWII many people died in Britain because they did not have basis survival skills. If people can take away a couple of tips from Doomsday Preppers and put them into action so that they are prepared for a disaster than may only put them in a bad situation for a week or so then it’s a good thing.

I really like the way National Geographic critics the preppers. The program should mention that governments usually put out messages to people on radio if the electricity is down and everyone should have a battery operated radio.

My prep kit includes;

A portable gas hotplate and gas cylinders to boil water and cook food.
    Enough dried and canned food to last me a week
    A large torch and batteries for each person in my home, plus a battery operated lantern.
    Bleach to help purify water.
    Clean sleeping bags
    A deck of cards – to keep entertained
    A battery operated radio for government messages.
    A small portable gas BBQ
    Wet weather gear
    Comfortable walking shoes
    A weeks supply of toiletries in a bag all packed.
    A backpack that I can easily handle.
    A couple of cigarette lighters.
    A knife, spoon, plate and bowl.

8. eman83
    Bangladesh
    July 22, 2012, 12:06 pm

I am cleaning my hand on the be sine and listening at the same time to this show Preppers….why would you put this type of trash on your so respected and reputable channel.

9. eman
    Bangladesh
    July 22, 2012, 12:53 pm

The best books for prepping and prepper survival can be found here.

10. Bigdaddydave
    Canada
    August 15, 2012, 10:26 am

One thing I noticed: all preppers brag about what they have. If the end truly does send bands of people out to scrounge for food, these people will be high on the list of targets. That prepper will have to be on high alert 24 hrs a day, impossible to do. In the end -all it takes is for a case of dysentery (or infection) and these preppers will be done in a week.

11. Rick
    Louisiana
    September 3, 2012, 12:59 am

Just finish wathing “Preppers”. Loved it. But was wondering if anyone has heard or built a bio-dome underwater to survive? I’
    I pray each night it never happens

12. Keith
    September 9, 2012, 10:31 am

It’s interesting that all these prepper seem to have a specific catastrophe they have fixated on, e.g. earth pole reversal, volcanic eruption in Yosetmite, etc. That alone speaks of mental disease.

13. Sierra
    NY
    September 11, 2012, 9:01 am

Did anyone else see the episode where they were prepping with white, chem resistant tents? And they had on a professor who developed a device to split water atoms into power using an electric current…Anyone catch the name of that device or any info on it??? They said the guy who built it had plans on the internet so you could build your own that would power an entire house….

14. cd
    new york
    November 11, 2012, 12:16 am

Most of all these preppers are stupidly irrelevent. The only one relevant person i have seen was the Cambodian wife who thought her husband was paranoid. She as a child survived, fought, and did things for real survival. This woman knows far more than any of these “yuppies” who think they are savvy. Prepping in a false security. None of these people know what it takes to kill a humans or to be so desperate, they’d eat mud cakes like the Haitians do to feed their children. In the martial arts, 98% of all Americans who train in the martial arts who have attained a black belt level and higher are basically inept book smart nerds with no actual combat experience. I give an A for their wistful desires, but i give an F for most in PREPPING FOR THE REALITY OF THE EXPERIENCE of calamity. Those folks that made a compound in a plain with back up battery resources, a well likened to castles protected in the castle walls, energy via gas collected from the animal waste was the best prepared. yet, still, they would never stand the test of a man’s proclivity to wage war when he is desperate. I have yet to see any realism in these preppers. When it comes to the boyscouts, all of these people are GREAT! Lets go camping!! When it comes to these people saying, “grab you bugout bags and your knives because badguys are coming” is stupid. A prepper must train on a level that their training must equate the evil that men may bring to them. This is the ultimate mathmatical equation one must accept. One MUST rise or lower to ay level to that which another is willing to attack you with. Prep all you want. I’ll take it from you.

15. Eric
    midwest USA
    November 13, 2012, 2:55 am

Ok CD we get it

Your a NY tough guy, but in reality most likely in your own mind.

Especially when you say “Prep all you want. I’ll take it from you”.

I think you will find a majority of these preppers are more than ready to take someone like you on. Just because they give some of their plans most don’t (if they are smart) all of their plans.

As for experience remember this.

Last I checked Noah was a first time boat builder with no formal education in zoo keeping.

16. Ray
    California
    November 13, 2012, 10:42 am

I have heard comments from several “preppers” who were involved with Sandy. They are doing much better than those who were not prepared. I have read comments about the IV segment. While the needle was backward, it will work. Those who don’t know how to save a life will not fare well. Looting is rampant in the stricken areas on the east coast. Just as in New Orleans. And just like New Orleans the police are taking lega weapons allowing leaving the people at the mercy of the thieves. If you prep. Be silent.

17. ROBERT CLABORN
    POMPOANO BEACH, FL
    November 14, 2012, 8:51 am

MY WIFE GOT ME STARTED WATCHING THE SHOW DOOMSDAY PREPPERS AND I THINK ALL OF THE SHOWS MAKE SENCE IN THAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE PREPARED FOR WHAT MAY COME EVEN IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN THE END OF THE WORLD THREAT. ALL THE SHOWS I HAVE WATCHED ARE FULL OF INFO THAT CAN BE USED IN ANY DISASTER TO HELP SURVIVE, SOME MAY SEEM TO BE A LITTLE FAR OUT BUT WHAT IF THE MOST FAR OUT THINGS ARE THE THINGS THAT YOU WILL NEED TO STAY ALIVE. I KNOW I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT MORE ON THE GUY THAT WAS TELLING ABOUT THE FISH PRODUCTS THAT A PERSON CAN USE AS ANTIBIOTICS BECAUSE HE IS CORRECT WHEN HE SAYS THAT IF SOMETHING HAPPENS WHERE DO YOU GET MEDICINES WITHOUT A PERCRIPTION BECAUSE DOCTORS DON’T JUST GIVE THESE OUT WITHOUT SOMETHING ALREADY BEING WRONG WITH YOU.

ALSO WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME INFO ON MAKING A SOLAR CELL UNIT—IF THEY CAN BE HOME MADE OR HOW THEY ARE HOOKED UP IF YOU HAVE TO BUY FACTORY UNITS—THANKS

18. LTK
    November 21, 2012, 1:25 am

I wonder how many of these people got a visit from guys in black suits and an FBI file due to this show?

When one has a certain amount of weapons, creates pipe bombs, or something that splits hydrogen molecules out of water (could create a small h-bomb) the gov’t usually wants to know what their sanity level is. Last I checked, creating a pipe bomb is illegal.

19. cd
    new york
    November 27, 2012, 1:38 am

In response to Eric’s comments and to further clarify, respectfully so to this program of Doomsday preppers.
    First, Eric has made a common misunderstanding like most not from this area of the states. Yes, I did say I am from New York but I meant New York State. While I have spend a year actually living in the city of New York when I was a lad, I spent it primarily in the greater New York region which Is dominated by farms, woods, mountains, etc… ever read the tale of the Legend of Sleepy Hallow, Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman? I live near those mountains along with mountaineers, loggers, tanners and military that was part of these countries origins; part of the machine that fed New York City to thrive. In fact, my maternal and paternal lineage came to America 1630 to 1650 and served in every American branch of military, many that made it to be officers.
    You said that just because I was from New York that I was a tough guy. No. My life experiences and family tutelage made me an educated man. I have served as a volunteer in several fire departments. I have studied martial arts since I was ten and I was taught philosophy since I was 5; the Syllogism being my first lesson. Over the next 30 years I fought against drug dealers in Hell’s Kitchen in NYC and elsewhere, I fought against bullies, ego driven alpha males who tried to steal, intimidate women/men. I fought against gang members and thugs. I have been shot at (though never shot), stabbed and cut, beaten, bruised, battered, broken, closed up eye and despite all the collateral damage it was my wits, education, tolerance for pain, chess level strategy combined with brass ball daring to chance it, topped off with good old fashioned luck that made me a victor and survivor every single time!
    Eric, purporting to be my antagonist slants my New York title. Truth is, buddy, all my ancestors, including my parents are from the Midwest, Illinois and Indiana. So, Eric, you might find my family buried in the same lots as yours. Assumption really is a fault in the politics of defining preparation amongst us civilians; in fact, if one was to compare a Navy SEAL or Green Beret to a prepper, would we even have this argument?
    I like Ray from California’s comment: “If you prep, be silent.” This is a core truth. (does anyone remember “loose lips sinks ships?”) Eric argues that while these (what I call for the most part) yuppie preppers, have not divulged “all” their secrets as to say they have an ace in the hole, is pointless. Eric does not understand, while these people have revealed 85% of their food stores, weapons etc… any secrets these apartment dwellers or cul-de-sac incumbents is moot.
    However, I give high regards to those who have developed current and active lifestyles as a prepper. From the fella with the spider holes and those folks with a castle of containers cultivating methane gas, interior well source, wind and solar devices on a land with 360 degree viewing, well these people are savvy and have a great start. The folks that easily get along like times of crises as Sandy or Katrina, are not preppers, they are old fashioned, thick skinned, self sufficient Americans as taught and learned from the old days. Being a prepper to an old farmhand 50 to 100 years ago would be laughable. Being proud that you could feed yourself because someone else can’t feed you anymore would be stupid!
    Speaking of Eric, it all comes down to that personal moment, which Eric does not understand. While it seems easy in the movies, that charges up the macho in the man and makes a person feel like he knows how to fight just because he thinks he identifies with Bruce Willis or Jet Li, the reality is quite different. A man only assumes that if he is challenged to survive that he’ll act bravely and exactly; the reality is that panic happens, hesitation and doubt happens, the act of killing a man will shake a human being to his core. These doctors, apartment dwelling box store employees, rich, spoiled brats who want to preserve their ego, the idiots with 500 gallons of water, etc…, have not approached the one aspect of prepping that will cast doubt into their fantasies of being survivalists. Most of these people are emotionally insecure, nothing personal, just a fact of observation. They prep enough to abate this insecurity and make them feel like they will be victorious at the time the fear to meet. They never have felt what it is like to take a humans life let alone to engage in desperate battle, your hands thrashing about the hands of a man intent on killing you. Eric, you have no clue, like a five year old girl trying to guess what giving birth is like, what it takes to combat, pound for pound, flesh to flesh, to protect your loved ones from the depths of what desperate or evil people will bring to you.
    I truly think that this show on prepping is a vital informative experience that spreads the word of information to help people learn self defense and family survival, especially in terms of the changing weather patterns, electrical disturbances that shake the hell out of the transfixed population on cell phone, internet dependences. (My mother still to this day keeps a week’s worth of water and canned goods…not because she is a prepper, but because that’s what a Midwestern mom would do; its COMMON SENSE!) However, my major concern, or criticism, is the same as my criticisms of the American martial programs that teaches our society, a program of money and rewards and nicety/immediate gratifications. Antecedent to this, the Asian origins of these disciplines teaches these methods as a way of honor, of civil manners keeping regulation in society in times of chaos, but most of all, teaching honor in the struggle of life and death.
    When I said “prep all you want, I’ll take it from you.” It was not a statement of bravado. It was a challenge to raise the bar. I want these brothers and sisters to rise to the occasion. I do not want them to just do enough to satisfy their insecurities; I want them to redefine their goals.
    My mission statement, Eric, and the rest of the brave and industrious folks is this: Prepping is only the first line in the goal of survival; it is a vital important role. But, it is not prepping alone that will help you survive.
    There are myriads of realities you must face. Seriously, there is no “prepping” for engaging another human being. The movies show fights lasting 3 to 5 minutes. Never. 30 seconds, maybe 60. Yes. Pain. Yes. I have had to make the choice to be stabbed in the arm so that my torso wouldn’t. Upon being stabbed in the arm, I was able to take the knife away and overcome my drug induced attacker. Have any of you preppers actually done this??
    Eric, how many times have you beaten coke dealers? Guess what, they are desperate over their drugs being taken to the law. How do you propose fighting someone fighting to live to feed their children?
    There is an old saying, when a fox chases a rabbit, who will win. The rabbit will, because the fox is only after a dinner, but the rabbit runs for its life.
    I am sorry if my message is too abrasive. It has been my life’s experience to fight bad people. When I watch this show, which I think is a very valuable, instructive source of information; I feel it is missing the “Dirty Dozen” reality. I have seen all sides. My message is to inform these people not for prepping, but for survival. I applaud this show for revealing to the American public this information; I wish to add my 2 cents, if I may, that while “architectural plans are nice, construction requires something extra.” The personal experience of human conflict cannot be replaced by theoretical practice.
    Last note, my lesson is learned by one example in the tragic tale of seasoned Vietnam infantrymen who were regularly lead by West Point Lieutenants. I will not go further into this statement because #1 if you do not know of this tragedy, then figure it out. #2 if you do, then you appreciate the importance of information being balanced and shared it equals the unification of information to take care of all of our people, our neighbors, our children, our friends.
    All in all, I wish all of you the best and Cheers to all!
    I hope all these preppers find security and happiness.
    Adieu, CD

20. Stefanie
    Houston
    November 28, 2012, 12:12 pm

I believe in being prepared to a certain extent. However, the episode featuring the family from Houston was disturbing. I feel this man is taking the joy out of childhood for these children. These kids look miserable. Especially Victoria.

21. LTK
    November 30, 2012, 12:51 pm

Stefanie, about those people.

They seem to me like grown children playing “army guy.”

Both of those guys knew they were shooting off very large guns in a blind. Something goes wrong. One of the guys gets his hearing temporarily damaged by the gunfire and starts crying about it. Sure, it hurt. A lot. I would probably cry too, but I would know it was a bad idea to put my head that near the muzzle of a gun that large. I commented to my wife that they reminded me of those boys on the schoolyard that wanted to play “war.” They would dress up in their little camo costumes, grab a bunch of rocks and sticks preparing to “meet the enemy.” Then, when they get hit with a rock they would start crying and run home to mommy shouting that they are never playing with those other kids again.

The guys from Houston just seem like they are “playing war” and if it ever gets real, I don’t think they have the mental and emotional stability needed to handle it.

Not to mention it all comes down to one thing alluded to above:

All one needs to be is quieter and a better shot and all the preps in the world become meaningless. Those guys in Houston have a pretty nice set up. It can be taken from them no matter what they do. Kind of appropriate that they named the place “The Alamo.” They have shown they don’t really understand what they are doing as far as the guns are concerned and they are too quick to crack under pressure. I think that of many people that have been on the show. What would they do if they were faced with someone that is absolutely desperate with nothing to lose? Or, someone that is watching their own child die?

One thing stands out to me about this show. If these preppers worst nightmares (or dreams) come into fruition society will be dead while they are still alive. The one thing they all have in common is an absolute lack of trust for their fellow human and a “shoot on sight” mentality. The drawback, some only have a few months of supplies. If they ever run out and go searching, they need to remember they will be running into people with the same mentality that will most likely put a bullet in their chest instead of offering help. Quite a few of these people have kids. Let’s hope they don’t need to ask someone for medical help for their kids when the stuff hits the fan. They might not find anyone willing to help them. Instead of penicillin they may be forced to watch their child die slowly while they themselves are nursing a bullet wound.

Isn’t it odd that most of them say their prayers to jesus, yet they would act the complete opposite of the man if a disaster ever struck?

22. Well Said LTK
    PA
    December 24, 2012, 3:42 pm

I saw the Houston episode and thought the exact same thing almost word for word.
    This is a man who wants to be an “army guy” and control.
    If something like a financial collapse or terrorist attack happened we should come together and rebound from it not run off and hide in our forts in the middle of nowhere and shoot the man who wanders onto your property looking for a glass of water.
    Developing “napalm” and poisoning his food supply is indicative of an extremely greedy person.
    Someone needs to show this guy cooperation and recovery not survival.

23. cd
    New York
    February 6, 2013, 12:46 am

What prepper train of thought is devoid of is communal thought. We study many species and continually find, much to our surprise, that survival of species depends on cooperation. Doomsday preppers are the most likely to fail let alone survive when contacted by other surviving humans because they all have forgotten LOGIC taught by the Romans and Greeks and Egyptians, the finest civilizations of our history that proved themselves in every level of human elevation.
    Preppers motto is generally division, regardless if it is a cul-de-sac! These preppers today wish to live individually. They will die within their first generation; in other words, most likely, the prepper parent will see the death of their children. By the end of the preppers life, they will die knowing they did not preserve their bloodline. These prepper idiots are nearsighted; they endeavor to live 20 years. No one endeavors to live 3000 years! Why do you think we know of Cleopatra or King Tut today!!?? As I said once before, prep all you want, I’ll take it from you, and my son will too. We shall take from the scrooges of life and grow, cultivate, perpetuate humanity, divide and grow like the very cells that propagated life in the beginning. People shall survive preppers because their vision is bias and tunnel visional. Mine is to beget humanity. I do not have the audacity to pretend to be superior like these preppers do. I understand the greatness of humanity, as nations do, when in its darkest hour, while atrocities will certainly happen, we will stick together and do our best to survive. Prep all you want to satisfy your insecure political, ethical, racist, genetically superior, fearful, self egocentric needs that you justify your actions, but nothing will stop the fact that you will die! You will die alone or together. Honestly, I believe most of you will die alone, raped and/or murdered. Your reality show badge on your arm shall lull you into a false sense of security. Your lack of trust in humanity is your greatest windfall. Personally, one on one I trust humans to do everything!! I trust them to lie; I trust them to be true. I trust them to be desperate and I trust them to be ethical. This is the great game of survival we share with every animal on the face of this planet: The struggle for survival. I gamble on the one element of that part of the human brain, the recognition of survival through partnership like many species do on this planet. One of thousands of examples being the whales depending on the diving birds, dolphins and sharks to pool the sardines in smaller targeted pools to be able to allow a slow moving whale to gulp down tiny wicked fast sardines! To me, most preppers are nothing more that of Londoners’ hiding in basements while Nazis bombarded them. It was the Allies that gave redemption, relief and freedom to not the people of a community, but the humanity of nations!! Preppers are the antiquated ignorance of the species of humans and their way of thinking. They have no psychological experience or historical experience. We are a community based animal. They prep as if they are the next Donner Party, and they do so for the same reasons: ignorance and desperation. No reading of a bible or playing checkers will abate the breakdown of the experience of desperate human emotions. We all are going to die. We must all contribute to better our community and serve it well. What all preppers misunderstand is that adage, and adages stand because they are proven through the test of TIME: UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So, Preppers, I say once again, prep all you want and you will begin to know ‘Still Waters and the Well.’ (If you do not know this reference, GOOGLE it “Prepper,” and you will find what a dumbass to you are to have to Google it because it testifies to the weakness in your strategy.) Mankind will ONLY SURVIVE if they UNITE! Preppers that unilaterally effort themselves to survive individually condemn themselves to their Deaths In ONE GENERATION! Say goodnight Gracie. Your children will not mate with those who shall carry on. If you have anything to say, carve it in stone, maybe our archeologists will find it one day.

24. d
    houston
    April 12, 2013, 2:18 am

is that guy pretending to be batman?

25. non permanent hair color
    September 24, 2013, 3:40 pm

Having read this I thought it was very informative. I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this information together. I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

26. […] Doomsday Preppers: Extreme Prep Edition – Nat Geo TV … – Tonight’s special episode of Doomsday Preppers will revisit the best and most extreme preppers from the series’ first season, incorporating never before seen footage…. […]

27. […] Doomsday Preppers: Extreme Prep Edition – Nat Geo TV Blogs – Tonight’s special episode of Doomsday Preppers will revisit the best and most extreme preppers from the series’ first season, incorporating never before seen footage…. […]