Last weekend, James Cameron successfully returned from the deepest point on Earth. Next weekend, he’ll take NGC viewers on a journey through Titanic. Busy guy.

Director and National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence James Cameron is the first person to ever complete a solo-vehicle dive to explore the Mariana Trench’s Challenger Deep, the deepest point on Earth. The attempt was part of DEEPSEA CHALLENGE, a joint scientific expedition by Cameron, National Geographic and Rolex to conduct deep-ocean research and exploration. For a full rundown on the incredible expedition, visit National Geographic News. And for more information on the project and vessel, visit the Deepsea Challenge Site.

Next weekend, nearing the 100th anniversary since her sinking, James Cameron gathers the world’s leading Titanic experts in the ultimate forensic investigation to finally decide what happened after the last eyewitness saw Titanic slip beneath the ocean’s surface. Tune into Titanic: The Final Word With James Cameron Sunday April 8th at 8P et/pt and check out this video for a sneak peek:

Comments

1. Chris Bean
    April 8, 2012, 9:34 pm

The Titanic forensic investigation by James Cameron was superb and entertaining, except for the last three minutes, in which he espouses his liberal views on current global politics. Okay, so he’s for global warming preventative actions and his ex-wife is making a movie on how Obama killed Bin Laden, set to be released right around the November elections. (Funny, during the show, the navy officer’s inputs were left on the proverbial cutting room floor.) Cameron’s political opinions detracted from what was otherwise a finely honed and sharpened cut into the mysteries surrounding the sinking of the HMS Titanic.

2. Eric Davis
    Camdenton, MO
    April 9, 2012, 8:02 am

Last night’s Titanic program was pretty well done until James Cameron ended the show with “climate change is the next iceberg” blather.
    The earth has been warming and cooling for more than four billion years. The man-made warming scam was discredited some years ago.

3. s saulnier
    Moncton, NB, Canada
    April 9, 2012, 9:04 pm

Great show, but wish Mr Cameron did not like the sound of his voice so much. I appreciate hearing from experts, not just his view. Thanks for the show.

4. Cathy Dahl
    Mankato MN
    April 10, 2012, 12:49 am

I agree with Eric Davis. The ending of the show made me so angry that I wished I had skipped watching it altogether. A show about Titanic has no business turning into a soap box for Cameron’s political viewpoints.

5. Ruth
    St. Louis
    April 10, 2012, 7:45 am

Pretty good show. It was techniqulely accurate as I guess one could be. The show really made me mad when they played “what if “. I think the captian was responsible, no mistake. But to play that game go back to right when the iceberg was sighted.. Hit it head on and none of the rest would have happened. Sure major damage but nothing fatal. And then to leave out the major problem, it wasn’t supposed to sink. Big selling point. I have to wonder how long it took for anyone, captain included, to wrap their brains around it WAS sinking. The human element was completely left out. I believe there were but only a few emotions going around that night, disbelief and panic. Who could think clearly? The impossible is harrd to be believed. I wish the experts had thought to include a psychologist. And as for jumping on ice floes, please. You couldn’t get ppl in the lifeboats. And if they couldn’t see the iceberg until the last, how you gunna see ice stepping stones?

6. Bob Marshall
    Salem,Ky.
    April 14, 2012, 1:02 pm

I was disappointed that all those experts could not come up with better ideas on how to slow or stop the ship from sinking! I built a scale model of the Titanic with the correct bulhead placements and heights that was properly ballast with lead weights to float at waterline level. I then accurately holed the 5 forward compartments so that the scale model would sink within 5 to 10 minutes of the time it took the actual ship to sink! I dicovered that if you where to counter-flood the last 4 stern compartments, just behind the generator room, you could have greatly slowed or even prevented the flooding from overtopping the forward bulkheads, at least keeping the ship afloat until the Carpathia had arrived! With proper counter-flooding I was able to keep my scale model afloat indefinitely! I built my model in the early 1990′s long before the movie “Titanic” was made.

7. James
    February 21, 10:56 am

Great show and info. Too bad James Cameron is such a know it all asshole.