Navajo Cops

They are a small force – 330 officers – who must provide law enforcement for 180,000 people, covering a 17 million acre reservation. They must negotiate ancient customs and modern problems.

Navajo Cops takes you inside the unique world of a mostly rural Law Enforcement Agency, facing a struggle with big city crime, while also navigating a world steeped in centuries old traditions, and a long and proud heritage. Each episode takes you inside the lives of the Navajo People, their history and culture, and the challenges the tribe faces today. Navajo Cops exposes the viewers to a world they have never seen and provides a deeper understanding of the issues that “First Peoples” face in the 21st Century.

The Navajo call themselves Dine; literally “the people” and more than 180,000 of them live on the largest Indian Reservation in North America.  It’s a vast land mass roughly the size of the state of West Virginia, and spread out over large portions of Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah. And while many Navajos continue to lead a traditional lifestyle — raising sheep or living on small farms on the majestic land of their ancestors — the tribe is also facing the same 21st Century challenges as nearly every other community in America.

Charged with keeping law & order on the reservation are the 330 men and women of the Navajo Department of Public Safety. Starting out on horseback in the 1870s, the Navajo Police are now a modern force, armed with some of the latest technology and weapons, and working closely with Federal Agencies like the FBI and the Bureau of Indian Affairs, to fight crime throughout the 17 million acre reservation.

Ride along with the Native American police officers of the Navajo Cops as they deal with everything from the day to day dangers that come with the job, to the hunt for missing persons in the vast open country and the theft and vandalism of historic artifacts, to busting drug dealers, and coming face to face with the new threat; gangs that have started to terrorize many of the communities on the Reservation.

On the season premiere of Navajo Cops: Skinwalkers tonight at 10P, a patrolman tracks down three gunmen involved in an attempted murder. Drug and Gang Officers hunt a suspected armed robber with the US Marshals. Officers hunt a mysterious supernatural creature known only as “The Howler”. Ride along with the men and women of the Navajo Police as they patrol the largest Indian Reservation in North America, dealing with everything from assault cases to drug and gang enforcement, on their mission to preserve an ancient way of life.

Comments

1. Linna Earley
    Enka, NC
    March 14, 2012, 5:53 pm

Thanks for all the great shows. I’m a big fan of the shows,magazine and work done by your organization. National Geographic has been a part of my life since childhood. My grandparents were the first to introduce myself & my brother to the magazine. He collects the magazines and I just love watching your shows or reading the magazines. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to learn more about the world around me in ways no one else can or does like National Geographic. New show Navajo Cops is a interesting addition. I like the fact that the police force is made up of Navajo Indians. Looking forward to watching more shows.

2. Buffalospirit
    Los Angeles, CA
    March 20, 2012, 11:26 am

I love the programs on Nat Geo … and the new Navajo Cops is great! A different perspective on law enforcement … the 21st Century’s problems have crept into everyone’s lives, unfortunately. At the same time, the adherance to culture, values and beliefs was refreshing. On that note, kudo to the officers on the fine job of looking into the Howler. More evidence and footage was captured in that one episode than other programs have done over several seasons of trying to find bigfoot! :) I wil continue to watch this program and look forward to more episodes.

3. Woman of the Navajo
    Lancaster, CA
    March 21, 2012, 4:13 pm

This series is partly true, remember that it is dramatized by the narrator and small clips that are put together unsequencely. It is not true at all. I found this out on a certain episode of my family and neighbors in Sanders, Az. Many events of what has happened that night was eliminated to make is seem that my family was guilty of the charges. For one, our Navajo Judicial System and Police enforcement are corrupted. They are not very uneducated and strongly believe that they are “the Law”. Instead of changing factual evidence int o false contradictions they (NatGeoTv) shud view their light onto the Corruption of the Navajo Nation Government-theEmbezzlement

4. Woman of the Navajo
    Lancaster, CA
    March 21, 2012, 4:18 pm

… Amongst the politicians on the reservations. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE MY PEOPLE AND HAVE PRIDE IN MY CULTURE AS A DINE. But our fundings for our People is being abuse.
    I am strongly recommending this channel to challenge this issue instead of misleading the view of the Dine. Conquer actual and factual evidence on a “bigger Kill” than on the “helpless innocent spiritual people” of this reservation.

5. Pando Dark
    Atlanta
    March 22, 2012, 7:12 pm

It would be nice if Nat Geo made it easy to find the day and time that this show airs.

It’s missing on next to the title on the Videos page and I’m unable to find it anywhere on the blog. Would be nice if they posted the schedule. Oh well.

6. MICHELLE JAMESON
    ALBURQUERQUE.NM
    March 24, 2012, 12:21 am

I’M NAVAJO PROUD THAT WE ALSO FOUND BIGFOOT LOL BUT IS TRUE WE FOUND MORE FOOTAGE THAN FINDING BIGFOOT SINCE THEY AIRED BUT ME I DO BELIEVE BIGFOOT IS IN NM AREA FINDING BIGFOOT SHOULD COME DOWN AND FILM SOME FOOTAGE HERE BUT NAVAJO COPS IS THE BOMB BECAUSE KNOW I DON”T HAVE TO HEAR FROM FAMILY MEMBERS WHAT HAPPENED I CAN WATCH ON TV NOW WAY TO GO NAVAJO COPS PROUD WERE ON TV NO ACTORS TALKIN FOR USE WE HEAR THE NATIVE TONGUE OUR WAY …..

7. Brian Begay
    Sumwhere on the Navajo Rez
    March 24, 2012, 8:03 pm

Gr8 show but wish they really showed how Navajo Cops really do act. Like for instance in the beginning episode of ” The Howler” When the intoxicated guy was bangin his head in back of the police cruiser. Then the officer calmly tells the drunk dude to settle down. Nope, that wouldn’t happen if the cameras weren’t rolling. What would have happened is the guy would have got a can full of mace in the back. While he suffocates, choking gasping for air. I compare the “Real Navajo Cops” with the Mexican Federales. This show that America sees on NatGeo is just a front. This isn’t what or how the real Cops are on the Navajo Nation.

8. Elsa Joe
    Salt Lake City, UT
    March 26, 2012, 10:13 pm

With this show being about my people, brings great joy and pride to my clan. I would also like to say that officer Tod & Margret are my favorite. I LOVE THIS SHOW!

9. IN$@NE1z
    AZ
    April 3, 2012, 12:17 pm

Good show but the cameras really show a different side of people, showing off to the camera by being nice and rude. Back in the day the NNPD used to beat down, twist the hell out of your arms, one time my cousin was handcuffed and the Officer pulled his arm up to his head. My cousin always got beat up by the Cops in Window Rock/Fort Defiance area. But now that my Generation is older I dont want my kids or other youngsters knowing the bad side of life (gang/results of a negative image). Most of my Frenz are in Prison/jail, dead, deadbeats, and some cant find a job on the Reservation taking care of their families. Thanks for putting this POV of Rez Life on camera to open the younger Generation to see whats Good and Bad no matter wher you live. WALK IN BEAUTY!!

10. IN$@NE1z
    AZ
    April 3, 2012, 12:18 pm

My bad.. THX National Geo. lol

11. alan
    San Jose
    April 17, 2012, 10:45 am

I’m watching an episode where the are busting some guys for marijuana and then go on to pat themselves on the back for making their community “safe”. I cannot believe police on the front line can continue to repeat the party line with a straight face – do they teach this in the academy?

There is no way marijuana use by native indians even BEGINS to cause the amount of problems alcohol use does for them.

When will the inmates of this country actually learn the truth and end this utterly ignorant and self defeating prohibition against hemp and marijuana and start treating alcohol like the poisonous substance it is?

Alcohol is a man made poison whose use induces blackouts and violent behavior yet it’s widely available – even in drug stores.. Marijuana is a naturally occuring substance whose use induces a feeling of well being and calmness and it’s what we make illegal and demonize in our society?

There is absolutely NO intelligent and valid reason for such woeful stupidity other than it’s just another part of being “american”. USA USA!!

I’m proud, aren’t YOU?

12. Ferlin
    4-Corners New Mexico
    May 5, 2012, 12:10 pm

Bring back the show….been looking for it, loved it, wanna see more,

13. charity
    oklahoma
    September 21, 2012, 12:43 pm

WHEN IS THE SERIES STARING BACK?????

14. Marilyn Lee
    Philadelphia
    October 4, 2012, 5:28 pm

When will the new season start?

15. tio willie
    phoenix az
    October 15, 2012, 2:15 pm

Any more showes?

16. Sandie
    Bonita, CA
    November 12, 2012, 10:19 pm

Please bring Navajo Cops back! I’m sick of Doomsday Preppers—-sure a traumatic event may happen in the near future, but these people are just scary to me. Who wants to survive when everything and everyone else is gone?

17. BAD BOYS BAD BOYS | NAVAJO COPS
    December 6, 2012, 12:28 pm

[...] of http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2012/03/12/navajo-cops/ Vintage Silver Chief with Headdress [...]

18. Dine' Ashkii' nihoni'
    Salem Oregon
    January 26, 2013, 6:39 pm

The Navajo cops is a really great show I love helping them out also,,and I’m glad that I’m on that show also,,and yeah,,so looking forward to being on t.v. Again hopefully soon :-)

19. Andrew thompson
    Window Rock Arizona
    January 26, 2013, 6:44 pm

There’s this one fellow that I go to school with and he is like the most popular student that I met in school he is also in one of them shows on Navajo cops… :D and her is really funny and a great guy,,,, <3 you… Julian. :):):):):):):)):):):-):):):):):):):):):):

20. Sandi Greene
    May 25, 2013, 11:50 pm

I thoroughly enjoy “Navajo Cops”, One of the best shows I’ve watched, very educational regarding Native American beliefs, etc. HOPE YOU CONTINUE IT IN 2013!!!! Please post when the show will begin in 2013.