Nicknamed the “animal magnet” as a kid, Casey Anderson grew up in Montana surrounded by wilderness and animals.  After college, he became an animal keeper and trainer at wildlife parks, traveling to elephant orphanages in Kenya, hanging out with crocodiles and even getting thrashed by a mountain lion.

Then baby Brutus came into his life.  Brutus was born in an overpopulated wildlife park.  Casey rescued him from being euthanized and built a new sanctuary just for Brutus.  A natural performer, Brutus was comfortable around people, making him a perfect assistant to teach park visitors about grizzly anatomy and conservation — and starring in educational videos and even feature films and television shows.

Today, Brutus is an 8-year-old in his prime and continues to be Casey’s best pal.  “Brutus has been a huge part of my life.  He’s sort of like, well he actually was, my best man.”

Together they have worked on feature films, television shows and commercials.  When they are not on set they spend their days at Montana Grizzly Encounter in Bozeman, Montana, a bear rescue and education facility that Casey founded in 2004.  Whether they are educating the public on grizzly conservation, wrestling in the grass, or on a location, this tandem loves what they do.

Born and raised in East Helena, Montana, Casey is a fifth-generation Montanan and has been involved in film and television production for more than 15 years.  A wildlife naturalist, Casey has worked on several wildlife documentaries.  He has led two expeditions to Botswana’s Okavango Delta for the HD wildlife series Untamed and, working with Brutus, shed light on the fate of Yellowstone’s vulnerable “Island” population of grizzlies in Expedition Grizzly for National Geographic Channel in April 2009.  For Nat Geo WILD, Casey and Brutus were featured in the series Expedition Wild. And most recently, Casey’s new film, Stalking the Mountain Lion with Casey Anderson will kick off the second annual Big Cat Week, a seven-night television event featuring stunning and powerfully resonant stories of nature’s fiercest felines and the people working to save these majestic cats.  In March, Casey can be seen in his new show, America the Wild with Casey Anderson on Nat Geo WILD.

Casey’s acting resume includes the television series Wild Wacky World and the feature film Iron Ridge.  He has also made appearances on numerous news and entertainment shows including GMA, Nightline and Inside Edition.

Casey is married to actress Missi Pyle, and the two split their time between Montana and Los Angeles.

Comments

1. Dennis Kennedy
    Chatsworth ca.
    March 12, 2012, 1:16 am

Dear Casey I love your shows on the wolverines and your buddy Brutus,what a pal.the show with jasper and banff was so cool it almost brought tears to my eyes. I love the outdoors and use to bow hunt ,after watching your shows you’ve brought an appreciation of wild life and their beauty ,now I hunt with a camera .i think I’d love to do something like you do , god bless you.you remind me of the crocodile hunter who I really miss.take care dennis

2. Floyd Bond
    Albany,Oregon
    March 17, 2012, 5:38 pm

Dear Casey, watched your last show with the wolverines and Brutus,let me just say you are a very gifted person in the way you communicate with the animals. Cannot wait to see the Yellowstone episode since Yellowstone is one of my favorite national parks. Keep up the great work !!!!

3. moh
    nice
    March 19, 2012, 1:19 pm

i like wate you do

4. juls
    california .... near lake tahoe
    April 30, 2012, 11:10 pm

I love your show! Love Brutus! Keep up the excellent work!

5. Sue Meert
    Manitoulin Island
    May 4, 2012, 9:19 am

I would love to meet Brutus, I too am a wildlife guru and can’t imagine having a grizzly friend. Good for you!!

6. [...] be choosing the winning photo: wildlife naturalist and host of Nat Geo WILD’s America the Wild Casey Anderson; landscape photographer and Instagram artist extraordinaire Cole Rise; and Cynthia Drescher, editor [...]

7. Laurie
    Illinois
    May 14, 2012, 5:35 pm

Love your shows. More Brutus please!!!

8. [...] Montalbano in Untamed Americas on June 20, 2012 (0) More » You’ve met Casey, you’ve met Cynthia – now say hello [...]

9. [...] wait is over!  After much deliberation, our judges Casey Anderson, Cole Rise and Cynthia Drescher have chosen a winner for our Untamed Americas Instagram Photo [...]

10. irene martin
    northern new york(the adderondack mountains
    September 7, 2012, 6:15 am

dear casey and brutus,
    i watch the show all the time and i enjoy it very
    much. i esspecially like the bear awareness vidios you two do i live in black bear country and have a question.
    i have a friend who is moving up to the woods from town,
    though she her self is smart about the woods and respectful of them as well,she is bringing a horse with her.
    my question is what voltage electric fence would you recomend for her to use to keep him(the horse) safe and the black bears safe , and not have to be shot?

your friend
    irene martin
    P.S.we are looking forward to new eppisodes give brutus a
    hug for me

11. Sara Bolena
    Jax,FL
    February 11, 2013, 9:10 pm

Love your shows. I can appreciate how much you are enjoying living life and sharing your love of the outdoors and nature. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us – as jealous as we are!

12. Brady Gerber
    Boise, idaho
    February 18, 2013, 6:00 pm

Love the show, I wanted to know what essentials you carry in your pack?

13. megankalu
    Thunder Bay Ontario
    July 10, 2013, 9:07 am

Hi Casey.. I’ve been watching your repeats on Nat Geo Wild and was wondering whether NGW will be filming new episodes and when they’ll be on TV. I so enjoy watching you in your adventures in the wild. I have learned so much about hiking, camping, fishing, all those wonderful things we like to do while in the forest and although i can watch your repeat shows over and over again and learn something new that I’ve missed previously, I’m anxious to watch more.

14. JUDY RACICOT
    BRITISH COLUMBIA CANADA
    July 13, 2013, 11:59 am

HI CASEY

WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOU AND BRUTUS. HE IS SOOOOO ADORABLE. AS YOU CAN TELL WE ARE TRUE ANIMAL LOVERS AND LOVE YOUR SHOW ESPECIALLY YOU AND BRUTUS. WHEN WILL YOU HAVE NEW EPISODES ON THE NATIONAL GEO CHANNEL?

JUDY AND SHARON

15. Maria Aquino
    Puerto Rico
    March 27, 7:23 pm

My son have 8 years old. His name is Fernando. He love you. My child wants to be like you. My son wants to go to college and wants to study to do what you do. He wants to be a zoologist, conservationist, and naturalist. He love every animals. He love your grizzly bear Brutus.

16. Maryanne
    Massachusetts
    June 1, 4:59 pm

Casey, I saw your show on the Monster Wolf and would love to discuss somethings with you concerning Wolf Dogs or Wolf Hybrids as a lot like to call them. I have 2 of them and none of what was said falls on how they are granted they are not of the high percentage when it comes to the amount of Wolf in them but because of how I have raised them the only time you see the Wolf come out of them is in there basis of intelligence. there mixed breed is some of the best breeds you could mix and that goes without saying for their temperement yet of course they are very hyper as well. but that goes without saying. they are self trained service animals as well only to me though I am not sure that they would save anyone else. but I think you would find these two very fascinating to say the least and they prove to the matter that not all of them are of the vicious , aggressive nature