It’s Tuesday and that means time for another episode of Doomsday Preppers.  In tonight’s episode, Nine Meals Away from Anarchy, we’ll get a peak at three new preppers, Mike Mester, Preston White and Riley Cook. Once again, we thought we’d turn it over to a few of our favorite bloggers in the prepping community to preview and weigh in on tonight’s episode:

Angela at Food Storage and Survival is back to share her thoughts – although she calls the show, A little bit of education and a whole lot of ‘TV,’” she admits, “there are ideas to be gleaned and some motivation to keep prepping (or start prepping).”  In tonight’s episode, she enjoyed seeing preppers from her home state of Colorado, including Preston White, who has amassed an impressive seed collection. Amazing, in fact,” says Angela. “Hopefully he’s keeping them all stored properly so all his efforts can pay off in his garden in years to come.”  To read more of her thoughts on the episode and to play “Name that Food Storage Company” check out Food Storage and Survival.

Bushcraft and Survival Skills mentions a frequently voiced concern that goes hand-in-hand with sharing your preps on TV – OPSEC or Operational Security.  While discussing Mike Mester and his family who are featured in tonight’s episode, he shares, “There were a few things that bothered me, first and foremost is OPSEC! (Operational Security). Lets just say he lives in a well to do area, and unless the show used props and not the real location, where he is could be easily located, especially from the local residents in the area.”  To read more about the critical survival skills he found lacking in each of the preppers, check out his post at Bushcraft and Survival Skills.

Upon receiving an advance copy of tonight’s episode, Silent Prepper “could not get it into the DVD player quick enough.”  As someone who has been reviewing the show weekly, he explains, “If you have been following or just started to watch the series, we have seen various forms of prepping or preparedness from different families or individuals. The one aspect I like about the show is that it allows the viewer to come to their own conclusion in regards to each guest’s reason for prepping or how they prepare.”  To find out what conclusions he drew from each of the preppers featured tonight, read his full post at Prepper Central.

Over at Prepper Website, Todd shares his takeaways from the episode, as well as his thoughts on the expert assessments seen in the show.  He also shares a few tips on how he thinks you should watch the show:

1. Watch it for ideas and reminders of the preps you still need to get.
  2. Come up with your “expert assessment.”
  3. Bring it up around the water cooler as a way to talk about preparing for _____.
  4. Do your own research on the reasons the TV preppers  are preparing.
  5. Use it as an excuse to sing “It’s the End of the World” by R.E.M.

Read Todd’s full post over at Prepper Website.

Moth at Radical Survivalism Webzine found tonight’s episode to be “inspiring due to the amount of time and expense the Doomsday Preppers have spent acquiring their supplies.” She goes on to note, “All are fairly non descript individuals that you would pass on the sidewalk or in the grocery store and you would never give them a second glance, until you got a peek into their storage areas.”  Check out her full review here to find out what important details she thought were overlooked in various preps.

At Self-Reliant Info, Atticus questions Preston White’s ability to survive increasing fallout from the meltdowns at Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant with his enormous seed collection.  However, he finds vindication in prepper Mike Mester, referring to him as, “Someone who shows that you can be a prepper and not come across as someone who’s a crackpot, or obsessed, or paranoid…someone who can be an inspiration to others, and not just ‘entertainment.’”  To read more about his thoughts on the show, check out his post at Self-Reliant Info.

Christopher Hill at Survival and Prosperity gets in touch with his inner techno-geek while watching tonight’s episode, sharing, “The HHO generator/heater that Preston White and his friends were playing around with was way too cool.”  He believes that “this episode covered the most interesting material to date” and that “many viewers should be able to identify with the featured preppers and topics.” To read more of his preview from this week’s episode as well as his weekly Doomsday Preppers recaps, head on over to Survival and Prosperity.

Similarly to others who previewed the show, Survivor Jane was impressed by featured prepper Mike Mester, stating, In fact, he would be the perfect prepper; along with his wife Lisa, the kids and the dastardly duo, Storm and Thunder (and no, those are not the names of his shotgun and rifle) if not for just a few small details. I mean they had the food provisions down to an art, gas supply and rotated, bags both for getting home and leaving home, and security, which by the way is where Storm and Thunder come in. They even made their own fuel!”  Check out her full review over at Survivor Jane.

Thanks again to all who participated!  If Doomsday Preppers has inspired you to brush up on your survival skills, each of these blogs has a wealth of information and resources to get you started.

Will you be watching Doomsday Preppers tonight?  Come back and let us know what you think – were you as impressed by Mike Mester’s preps?  Is Preston White’s treasure trove of seeds the ultimate survival tool?  Are you envious of Riley Cook’s underground palace?

Doomsday Preppers Nine Meals Away from Anarchy premieres tonight at 9P et/pt on National Geographic Channel.

Comments

1. Special Ops Prepper's Guide
    USA
    March 6, 2012, 2:19 pm

Fiction stories R nice, BUT they don’t #Prepare U2 #Survive|Special Ops #Preppers Guide|http://www.amazon.com/Special-Operations-Preppers-2012-2013-ebook/dp/B0073YCK18/

2. jettthemesh
    Louisiana
    March 6, 2012, 6:25 pm

Nat Geo is dead on, on this series!

3. [...] We have been featured on NAtGeo’s website Here [...]

4. Orion
    Montana
    March 6, 2012, 10:35 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed the flaw in the bunkers that has been shown ? Most are concerned we are going to have a polar change , volcanic, or earthquakes. If so these bunkers are going to shake like everything else. What I have noticed in the bunkers shown is not a thing is secured. They show all the canned goods and such just setting on shelves. If one of these disasters does occur all that stuff is going to be all over those bunkers and most ruined and someone possibly injured by flying debris.

5. fred duennebier
    March 7, 2012, 1:10 am

The hydrogen/oxygen generator on this show: “Nine Meals away from anarchy” was rediculous. To separate hydrogen from oxygen by electrolysis takes more energy than can be recovered by burniing, or recombining the hydrogen and oxygen. So… where does the energy come from to power the hydrogen/oxygenngenerator? What do all the pretty lights do? I’m afraid this device is the equivalent of snake oil.

6. Shane
    Colorado
    March 7, 2012, 7:09 pm

You don’t know jack fred. I built one. Working. Your slumber confines a small mind.

7. The Silver Survivor
    Missouri
    March 8, 2012, 5:46 am

Greetings from the Missouri Ozarks. At the behest of friends and family, I have recently begun a wilderness survivor blog to share my 40+ years of wilderness survivor knowledge. No advertisers, very intimate, down-to-earth advice, new-school science and old-world remedies. Enjoy.

May the wild places welcome you,

The Silver Survivor

8. Alan England
    Southeastern USA
    March 8, 2012, 8:52 am

Entertaining show, but these people are over-doing it. The scenarios they plan for have as much chance of occurring as me being bitten by a black bear and a grizzly on the same day! The preppers are betting against the house, losing most of the time. But, should any of the problems they plan for arise, the preppers will win big.

9. John
    North Carolina
    March 9, 2012, 12:19 am

It seems like most of the preppers on the show are only preparing for one type of disaster. If something else were to occur they were not planning on then they still would be better suited than most. I’m trying to prepare for several disasters and praying that I’m just wasting my time. I just got a couple water barrels from survivalopolis.com they are local and deliver to my house for a small fee.

I really like the series overall, it has really gave me the push I needed to get things rolling! Looking forward to next Tuesdays show!

10. Pam
    Wisconsin
    March 9, 2012, 4:17 pm

GEEZ…neagtivity all around. I figure, if you come away from any one of these shows with one technique on making it through an emergency, then it’s a good episode. Some I just shrug and say “To each his own”. I “prep” but I am also realisitc that if some of these things happen no amount of prepping is gonna help. The segment where they were building these bunkers in mountains…c’mon. IF, and it’s a big IF, the poles did shift, do you really think are going to do it gently? Nope…won’t happen. There will be a whole lotta shakin’ goin’ on…and the last place I want to be is in a tuna can underground. I’ll take my chances above ground. But, if they feel comfortable with it, go for it. I am wondering if anyone out there knows how to make those fire pucks that they made in the first segment? If there is anyway I can use all the newspapers I end up throwing out, I am all for it. My method of prepping is…I buy what I need then I buy the same amount and put it away. My family laughs at me but who do you think they will come running to if it hits the fan? I do believe that things will be changing; pandemic or economic are more the disasters that I feel will hit us. Living in Wisconsin, tornadoes are a part of life as are cold weather emergencies. My goal is to be prepared for these. Being a scientist, I can’t help feeling that maybe some of these emergencies might be Mother Nature’s way of telling us to clean up our act and clean up the earth.

11. al
    tampa, fl
    March 10, 2012, 2:41 am

love the new series. i just have one comment. you always evaluate the preppers in each show for potential improvements they could make. when will someone get an overall 100%. surely someone or group on the planet have prepared to your satisfaction
    al

12. Survivor Mike
    March 10, 2012, 8:12 am

Loved this episode. I think Mike had it right when he spoke about enlisting his neighbors help.

We just wrote about it on our blog.

13. Nicole
    March 12, 2012, 11:03 am

John, as one of the family members from episode 9 I can guarantee you there is a LOT of things they don’t show. And my family is preparing for more than one crises but we were told to choose one of the bigger reasons to put on the show.

14. The Silver Survivor
    March 13, 2012, 10:23 am

Here’s a practical Doomsday topic you don’t hear about very often…

15. Gary
    March 13, 2012, 4:39 pm

Preston is a moron. I have worked in the radiation industry my whole life with no ill effects. He should worry less about the radiation from Japan. If all this “radiation” arrives his seed bank won’t mean a thing as the plants will extract the radiation from the ground. Any fallout that is on existing plants can be washed off. Do more research brfore you scare people for no reason

16. Michael T. James
    southern new mexico
    March 13, 2012, 9:53 pm

Them idiots in the missile silo dont have a clue! Anyone with an ak would take out their cameras and have a field day .great great location ,but being hippy minded,free loving,will get you all killed!!! You guys need to seriously need to reevaluate your situation! Good luck to all.

17. Wayne Mosley
    Notheren Nevada
    March 14, 2012, 3:44 pm

I am a big fan of survival shows and prepers but when is someone going to come up with a real training show that would actiualy teach people to survive in the real world I watch all the survival shows that I can and laff at the people when they show how to start a fire with two sticks toghther because we learn in boy scouts to do so in a much esyer way they would dye before they got a fire that way so can some one please come up with a traning chanell that realy teaches you how to survive in real world tactics and not just a TV program for the ratings

18. bowhunter209
    Placerville
    March 19, 2012, 1:41 pm

Wayne, Doug Huffman – the Into the Spider Hole guy produces an online survival training series of videos. His website is http://www.sierrasurvival.com I produce all the videos and we are discussing creating a TV show exactly as you described. It’s tough to get on major networks but we looking to start locally. In the mean time, all the video is available if you subscribe. Get some buddies and split the cost. Good luck to you.

19. Nurse Hickman
    Texas
    March 20, 2012, 10:57 pm

I missed the making of the fire logs from shredded paper. Is there a place to get it?
    I have picked up lots of ideas from each show. We are older but are prepping to be the bug-spot for our children. We live on a riverfed lake. The second biggest in Texas. good luck to us all.

20. Sarah
    Hammond, LA
    March 21, 2012, 3:43 pm

I am looking for instructions to make the fire loges from shredded paper and leaves. Can someone please supply a set? Thanks

21. RK
    WI.
    March 22, 2012, 4:37 pm

To Pam in badgerland, you should be looking at the bangs-booms-and shacking in Clintonville in the last 3-4 days that made World News w/Brain Williams. An give us your scientific veiws!!

22. Sarah
    Hammond, LA
    March 25, 2012, 6:02 pm

Anybody come up with instructions for the fire logs made from shredded paper and leaves?????

23. Kathy
    NE
    March 25, 2012, 10:33 pm

I saw on one of the shows that a couple had a large bag that they put in their tub and filled up with water. Does anyone know what those things are called? I have done all sorts of searches on EBay to find one and can’t. Emergency water, water bladder, water bag, hurricane water, etc., none of those worked. HELP! I would like to get one but don’t know what it’s called. Thanks anyone!

24. Jeremy
    Missouri
    March 26, 2012, 12:30 pm

And the stove he built to burn them??????

25. Anti-stupidity
    March 27, 2012, 6:03 pm

OK, Shane, a simple question: what powers your miraculous “HOH” generator?

Hmm, is that a cord leading to the socket in the wall? Or a big stack of batteries?

There’s no free lunch. Not in life, and certainly not in physics.

26. Josh
    New Mexico
    March 28, 2012, 3:29 am

The big bathtub water ballast is called a water bob. The fire logs are made by creating a slurry of water mixed with the paper and leaf compost, leaving it to soak for a few days then pressing them into the molds. Let dry, remove, burn.

27. JAQUEBAUER
    March 28, 2012, 11:27 am

KATHY The water container you are looking for is called Water Bob. Cheaperthandirt.com carries them, Amazon.com has them too. Just search for waterbob . They are about 25 dollars the last time I bought one.

28. Allan
    Missouri
    March 31, 2012, 5:03 pm

I dont agree with the mountains of canned items most of the preppers have. They have a relitavely short shelf life and cant be resealed after opening. Seems to me that freeze dried/dehydrated food in bags/pouches would be better. Does anyone know why Spacebags are not to be used for food stoorage?

29. motherof2
    nh
    April 2, 2012, 11:02 am

is this just because its2012?

30. Dennis
    Oregon
    April 7, 2012, 1:42 pm

I found that there are many good ideas and to be honest I have learned a great deal watching this program. What I am bothered by the most is watching the programs with all of the canned goods in glass jars. What no one has commented on is that in the event of an earthquake what is going to happen to all of those jars on the shelves. It seems to me that while the jars can be stored there should be someone telling these people that they need to be stored in such a way that they do not shake against one another or fall off the shelf causing them to break.

No one seems to mention this and it seems like something that should be said. Other than this one minor problem while not all of the solutions will work for everyone, it looks like every episode is a learning episode where you can take something of value away.
    Great Show please keep them coming.

31. Cindylou352
    Phenix City, AL
    April 10, 2012, 12:46 pm

I never thought that I would be one of these “preppers”, but since the last few years I have realized that life can change very quickly and not for the good. I started prepping about 6 months ago with my sister. I hopefully will be prepared enough to protect the family we have of animals and a few adults. Although I am a wee bit on the older side, one should not think that makes me an easy target.
    Just bought my AR and I am not a bad shot. Hopefully, I will be able to hold my own and help some of my neighbors if needed. We don’t have much money so it does make prepping a bit hard, but we have God on our side and HE will provide for anything we can’t.

32. Mike
    May 1, 2012, 1:48 am

Man, that’s a lot of white folks afraid of the government. HaHaHa!

33. janet
    mi
    October 24, 2012, 3:05 am

The paper logs are easy to make mix equal parts of shredded paper leaves ect with H2o a little bleach is a good idea – soak the mixture 2 to 3 days. It should when pressed in your hand hold together, if it doesnt soak a little longer. press into any shape – with a can with holes in it – a pvc pipe – lots of things will work. then dry turning them every so often

34. […] carnival” the National Geographic Channel is hosting on its website this week (I also participated in an earlier one back in March 2012). Kristin Montalbano posted the following Tuesday on the […]