Guest Post from Survivor Jane: How to be a Girlie-Girl and Still Survive the End of the World As We Know It

You may recall Survivor Jane as one of the preppers who took part in our Doomsday Preppers Blog Carnival.  Today we’re thrilled to welcome her back to share her unique perspective on prepping.  Read on to learn more about this self-proclaimed girlie-girl turned survivor who now runs her own site on survival preparedness for women at SurvivorJane.com.

I must admit, I love getting the ‘third-eye-in-the-middle-of-your-forehead’ look, when I mention in conversation I’m one of those people; ‘those people’ being, a prepper. ‘I know, I know! Ahhhhhhhhh run for your lives! Ha! Ha! Very funny.’

Actually, most times after saying it, I’m met with the ‘whatcha talkin bout Willis’ look and the ensuing ‘you don’t look like one’.  True (whatever that means), I’ll give you that, I’m not your typical Farmer Jane. Camo wearing, Tinfoil hat clad prepper. I’m all girl. A girlie-girl at that.

I like wearing make-up, adorning myself with jewelry, and wearing fun clothes and heels. Like I said, a girlie.

But on the flip side, I also realize that there are events beyond our control that could bring our society to its knees at any time.

With the events of the world albeit political, economical, natural disasters or threat of war, things aren’t looking good.

As a little background, I spent the better part of my life in the city climbing the corporate ladder only to take a huge leap of faith by walking away from it all and heading for the hills.

Why would your give it all up?! Pure and simple? My world as I knew it was changing, and changing fast. The benefits at work were being cut left and right, the 401k that I contributed to over and above year after year was now dropping like a lead balloon and the upscale-homeowner association strict-gated community I lived in was now over run with multi-families living in a single dwelling (after the owners could no longer pay their mortgages and were now renting their homes out to anyone and everyone), cars parked every where and police helicopters flying over head every other night.

So here I am, now a rural resident. I’m sure the locals in town get a kick outta seeing me. I likened myself to Mrs Douglas on the old TV series Green Acres (google it) – as most would say I was pretty ignorant to the mountain ways. But I’m learning.

I don’t have the luxury of going in to town (that’s what rural people call going shopping) that often, and in fact its more of a planned event, so instead I have become quiet creative.

For example, I’d ponder things like, ‘what if I could never go to a Lancome’ cosmetic counter (or fill in the blank with your favorite cosmetics) to buy make-up ever again?’  What would I do? What did people do way back when? I mean after all Cleopatra, possibly the first Lady Gaga ever, wore make-up. So, I’d research until I found a natural remedy and began using it.

Take my face wash for instance. Olive oil with a little sugar. That’s it. Put a little olive oil in you hand. Sprinkle in a little sugar. Rub your hands together and massage it all over your face. Rinse with warm water and a wash cloth and your face is as soft as a baby’s bum!

Or, I’d wonder what I would do if I couldn’t get shampoo, soap, laundry detergent, tooth paste, you name it, and I’d begin the search for that too.

I have come up with so many natural things I can use instead of store bought items. I mean prepper or not, a girl has to be fresh and clean – even if it were the end of the world as we know it!

And I’m learning to do so many things. I have a permaculture garden (that’s a garden where you just plant and let nature take its course.) No weeding or fertilizing. Just watching and picking.

I preserve what I grow and bake – yes I said bake, my own bread, make my own pasta and crackers.

Now grant it, I chose this more self reliant lifestyle, it didn’t choose me like so many who have been forced into it due to the economy.

Sure I no longer get to shop like I used to and buy the great shoes and handbags. But I’m healthier and happier and if the poo does hit the fan? I’m ready for it!

So again, why do I prep? Because I want to live to tell about it. What ever ‘it’ may be and, look fabulous while telling it!

Just sayin …

– Survivor Jane

Comments

1. Survivor Mike
    NJ
    February 25, 2012, 1:39 pm

Love Jane! I think there are a lot more people out there a lot like Jane. Folks that look like everyday folks that have seen the light and realize that we’re in for some rough times ahead.

Our site is focused on preparing everyday folks for what is coming. It covers one dad’s journey in building his SHTF plan.

Love Doomsday Preppers – keep them coming.

2. […] Quick update as I just read a great post from our friend Survivor Jane on the National Geographic Doomsday Prepper site.  You can check out the post here. […]

3. Prepper Dave
    ID
    February 27, 2012, 12:52 am

I appreciate your honest approach to the creature comforts of life. I don’t want to just survive, I want to thrive! Great post, and great show.

PrepperDave

4. John Morgan
    Bath,NY
    February 28, 2012, 3:13 am

I am all for anyone who is motivated to prepare for unforeseen events. You go Jane! I too am making solid prepper plans taking the one way trip to the wilderness this spring. I have tons of drawn up plans for home facilities and storage units which I will gradually dedicate a website too as they are tested.

5. tabachinga
    guyana
    February 28, 2012, 3:52 pm

Hi, it seems to me that preppers are making on fatal mistake. They are not preparing themselves for constant movement . After any event we will not be able to stay in any one location for too long. The amassing of so much stuff will just make you targets for ppl that r not prepared. I think that u should just have enough food for about 6wks. Stock things like seeds-easier to move when u move from location to location u can plant your own food.Just a thought

6. VA Survivor
    VA
    February 28, 2012, 7:41 pm

Good post Jane. I do think it is important that we do not get labeled as abnormal. Keeping your sanity and personality is important when preparing for something as grandiose as the collapse of modern society.

It is funny, if you saw my wife and I you would never guess. Asian preppers exist too, good luck brothers.

Check out this amazing guide it covers pretty much everything in a funny (but offensive) way.

7. end time
    e'arth
    February 29, 2012, 2:53 pm

Nostradamus Predicts 2012 Quatrain Found and Decoded!!!!!!
    “When planets and constellations sit side by side, the water-carrier takes his place: The land will call with a terrible voice many mouths of fire, and water will speed on land.”

When planets and constellations sit side by side is TALKING ABOUT Dec 2012 all the planets AND the ZODIAC constellation are going to line up. What makes 2012’s so special? The winter equinox 2012, the one constellation that was visible during the spring equinox changes from PPISCES to AQUARIS. PROOF NOSTRADAMUS IS REAL something is going to happen.

8. William Feller
    Texas
    March 1, 2012, 8:27 am

One of the elements to good OpSec is not sticking out and learning to blend in. A good prepper keeps a low profile.

At the same time, I believe it’s important to educate others as to the possible scenarios that create the need for prepping.
    William Feller http://AwareAndPrepared.com

9. Tim
    IOWA
    March 3, 2012, 5:35 pm

Opinions are born out of ignorance and have no basis in reality or fact. So lets start with reality. 1.Most people are preppers its to what degree. Planning for the future retirement,education,old age,making out a will. Planing for the unkown,insurance,escape routes incase of fire,natural disasters,power outages,rising gas prices and on and on. 2. Facts: Natural and man made disasters large and small occur almost every day. Most people who have gone through a disaster prepair for the next one. 3. Almost all experts agree that keeping at 3 to 10 days of basic provisions is the responsible thing to do. 4. Governments around the world are spending billions of dollars prepairing for possible man made or natural disasters and not just for short term survival but for years of under ground and above ground. 5. Thinking you know what you would do or how you would act in a life threatening situation goes out the window. This has been proven over and over through out history. 6. People die all the time because they did’nt prepair for simple every day things checking batteries in smoke alarms,not having a plan for fire,tornados,hurricanes,floods,earthquakes,snow storms,power outages no heat or air conditioning during heat waves or severe cold. 7. I have been through fire,tornados and floods directly or indirectly and have seen first hand that most unprepared people had know idea what to do next they were dependant on us who were prepared for the basic items food,water and shelter(I was happy to do so) so you decide weather you want to be helpful or wating for help (i.e. katrina,sunami japan,yearly floods,brush fires,california and hatie earthquakes just to mention a few that only happen to other people. WHAT IF KNOW ONE COMES DON,T BE A STATISTIC BECAUSE YOU HAVE BASED YOUR LEVEL OF PREPAIREDNESS ON OPINION OR TRUST THAT SOMEONE WILL BE THEIR TO HELP.

10. Tim
    March 3, 2012, 7:27 pm

My opinion from a ignorant man not a bad word just means I don,t know everything but are willing to admit it. Situational prepairedness is the best way to determine your level of prepairedness. So turn off your power supplies electric,gas and empty your gas tank. Then live for one week or as long as you can. Write down how long you think you will last before you run and get that big mac. You will be amazed how long a day actually is a week forget about it. If you don,t try this all you can do is guess what you and your familys reaction and needs are when a disaster happens. Now most people won,t do this just like most people don,t practice fire drills at least twice a year. Being prepaired is usually a lifestyle not a choice you learn through experiences in your personal life. Being prepaired but not living in fear of what might or might not happen can only occurr with rational factual thinking. Heres one example of non factual thinking 2012 mayan predictions. The mayans did not make any such predictions thier calender ended thats it. Why they did not get around to writing a new calender is the proper question my opinion simple they were dead. From the investigation I did all the leading experts in the field of mayan history agree with the fact they made no predictions. Any pedictions have been thought up buy modern man in near past some for monetary gain only. Makes for a good read and plays on the fears of uninformed people. Being prepaired is common sense the lenghts at which you do so is directly tied to lifes experiences. As long as you don,t harm or effect others lives negatively have at it.

11. DFW Prepper
    Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
    March 4, 2012, 2:05 pm

I really liked the post from Jane. I think what she is saying is important. Keeping those items that help maintain what we once had when shtf is going to be important. I can’t wait to read more from her blog.

Check out my site on Texas Prepping and self reliant living. http://Www.prepperdoomsday.com

12. staten island prepper
    NYC
    March 5, 2012, 7:55 pm

It took 10 days for supplies to get to Katrina, I would strongly suggest 30 days supplies. In the recent hurricane here and in Conn. it took weeks to get power back. Preparing for 30 days is just slightly more aggressive then 10 days. Remember that you dont have to eat it all at once

13. Tim
    Iowa
    March 6, 2012, 3:00 pm

I wrote in a previous comment that most experts agree you should have at least 3 to 10 days of supplys. Sorry i got the government and fema mix up with the experts. I agree 30 days,months or even years would be great. But every disaster and personal situation is different. If you live below sea level and your looking at cat 5 hurricane and your not already in another state. You have left yourself with few options but a bug out bag 3 to 10 day supply is about what the average person can carry. Its never a good idea to stand in front of the FAN unless you are just hot.

14. The Silver Survivor
    March 13, 2012, 10:24 am

Here’s a practical Doomsday topic you don’t hear about very often…

15. Scott
    Minesota
    April 26, 2012, 11:29 am

Our family made the same move a couple years ago from urban Minneapolis to very rural area. The change was a shock, but worth the move. Even as we have all the ideal items for prepping, just the lifestyle change was well worth the move. No offense to anyone, but living in the rural area is where people are normal and real.

16. Sierra
    NY
    September 11, 2012, 9:22 am

Dear Jane, (haha sounds so funny lol)
    I really loved your article–and the blog rocks!! Finally a girl after my own heart!!! As much as I want to ‘survive’ whatever may come, I want to ‘thrive’…I mean, what’s the point of surviving only to be stinky, ugly and miserable? I’m glad I’m not the only one planning to be fabulous:)
    Just an fyi, if you’re interested in makeup after the disaster, there are all kinds of natural, earth-based ways of making makeup….you can Google it. I’ve got a collection going now that will be ready when disaster strikes. I can’t imagine trying to survive the great unknown without some kind of ‘comfort’ product like a nice makeup powder or girly-thing.
    Take care 🙂

17. doriann
    nj
    October 27, 2012, 11:39 am

I’m so glad to see someone post about “unnecessary” comforts. I don’t expect the same comforts I enjoy now (I’ll miss Sephora!) but good hygiene and, if possible, a little more, will keep my spirits up. Morale will be so important! We expect hurricane Sandy soon; I need to top off gas in my car.pick up bread & milk & maybe a few extra things. Add to the water supply. But after Irene I decided to prepare for hurricanes at the beginning of the season. The basement area rugs have been up. Everything is either in waterproof containers or safely feet off the floor. Important things have been removed. So much less stress when you’re ready!

18. ivorypale
    east coast
    October 27, 2012, 11:58 am

Its nice to feel calm knowing you’re ready. When I go to pick up a few things and see all the ppl freaking out I’m glad I took the time to prep. My husband just got an “emergency” call. He’s on call for emergencies for work(he’s a plumber). Ppl want a back up battery sump pump. We’ve had one for yrs. Why must they disturb our weekend because they aren’t ready? We ‘re making a last check and cooking a few meals we won’t need to re-heat.

19. Brenda
    NPR Fl.
    November 11, 2012, 1:18 pm

God did not create stupid people but you doomsday preppers take the cake. when the end comes and NO ONE knows when that will be but God himself none of your stock ups will help because Goid created and he will be the one to take away so what you are doing is senseless. Read the BIBLE.. So all you are spending building stocking up for nothing because you sure won`t be able to hide from the wrath of God. If you read the Bible and it doesn`t make sense to you keep searching. Stupidity is not going to help cause God will come as a thief in the night and all the work you have done will be for NOTHING. Come back to reality.

20. MattBred
    Brazil
    July 2, 2015, 4:39 am

A church was created with the opinion that if Indiana’s unknown law protected religious practices, then it should also permit marijuana utilize as division of a broader spiritual philosophy.