Rats!!!   Dr. Brady Barr is looking to do a show about rats and wants to hear your rat tales.  Have a creepy crawly encounter with a member of the rodent realm?  Tell Brady all about it, and it could wind up in his show on Nat Geo WILD!

Anything could work, from encounters with the biggest rats to a neighbor or friend you know that has a rat infestation. The best stories could be part of Brady’s next show. If you have a good one send your rat story to bradysrats@ngs.org or leave a message at 855-U-GOT-RAT (855-846-8728).

By the way, you’re already at natgeotv.com/rats so share your stories in the comments, e-mail Brady, or tell us your story at our ratty 800 number listed above!

blog post photo

Comments

1. z123456
    July 25, 2011, 10:53 pm

Too bad you don’t have a edit on your site.
    We have had ten rats they were all very intelligent . The first one thought he was going to grow up to be like us he tried very hard to copy everything we did it would come to the table and sit down on his rear and eight from his bowl with his hands.
    The second one she knew her species that she was a lot of fun. And she was frightened of doctors at first until she had a tumor on the back of her leg she got surgery after that the doctor was great as far as she was concerned. As long as they lived with us they remained predators they hunted for insects all the time. And once when we had are rat we had a bird as well the bird was frightened all the time the little guy all most got her once so we had to give the bird to some one else for it wouldn’t live in fear.
    Also we had no Cages all of them lived under a drawer we fixed up for them.

2. DianneHammond
    July 30, 2011, 8:46 pm

Interesting how the rats that you have in the box are domestic, friendly rats. Their coloring is beautiful. I have had in the past as many as 11 rats. At the present time I have 6 with another one to be adopted soon. This is not an infestation. They live on my quite large dining room table with tons of things to do. At night we all get to play on my king sized bed. I would love to tell you about my rats, but ONLY IN A POSITIVE LIGHT.

3. kaysatterlee
    July 30, 2011, 8:50 pm

I see those rats are domesticated rats. It’s awful that we rat lovers work every day to try to break the stereotypes associated with DOMESTICATED RATS and there you are, taking us 2 steps back again.
    I have 4 pet rats right now and I can not even begin to describe the joy they bring me.

4. sueiy
    July 30, 2011, 9:46 pm

I don’t find the promo one bit funny. I am disappointed with NG wanting to negitively exploit rats. I’m a pet owner & lover and they don’t need this type of exposure as rats get a bad enough "rap" as it is which they don’t deserve. Why not do a special promoting rats in positive ways instead?

5. jkadaj
    July 30, 2011, 10:22 pm

Brady is the scariest thing in that box. Rats are wonderful pets. They are smart, loving, playful, clean and the best ever pets. They learn their names and come when called as you interact with them. What about doing a story about how nice rats are.

6. Sailorgrrl
    July 30, 2011, 10:32 pm

Shame on you, Dr. Brady, for this egregious negative portrayal of rats, especially the domesticated rats who are in that box with you who are probably very sweet and friendly. You who supposedly have had a "lifelong passion for animal life" per your own bio should know that domesticated rats are NOT vermin, are in fact intelligent and affectionate pets. I have seven rats, five of whom I rescued from terrible, abusive and neglectful homes, and conditions which NO creature, great or small, should have to suffer. Your show will only encourage this behavior; instead, you should be investigating recent research that disproves negative stereotypes of rats, such as the study that shows that rats, like primates, are metacognizant and not as different cognitively from humans as previously thought. Or the research that suggests that rats, like humans, laugh and enjoy fun play. If you truly love animals, you should help make the world re-evaluate how animals are treated, especially with regard to mills and the definition of what constitutes humane conditions, even for rats. I am going to cancel my subscription to National Geographic in protest.

7. genevieve
    July 31, 2011, 12:07 am

Domesticated rats are not vermin. People who degrade and abuse animals are vermin. It’s nice to know what century NG lives in.

8. aceshighx1986x
    July 31, 2011, 2:49 am

This is awful. You’re negative portrayal of rats is an insult to all people who own and love rats with everything in them. Rats have huge effects on their owners lives just like dogs or any other ‘normal’ pet. I hope you have the enjoyment of spending even a little time with all those very beautiful rats that you had in that box with you and maybe you’ll make some sort of apology to the one of a kind people and animals that you’ve offended. Until then I won’t be reading/watching any National Geographic.

9. ravensflight
    July 31, 2011, 3:32 am

+1 to all that was stated before me! Rats are a great pet to have, very fun!
    The big question is what happened to all those sweet rats you used?

10. SansApple
    July 31, 2011, 4:02 am

Honestly?
    Looking for negative stories about rats while clearly portraying how docile and sweet they are (in the video at least one of those girls affectionately groomed another) really doesn’t seem to be a great angle.

I proudly work with a Rat Rescue on the east coast, and this sort of thing sickens me. Rats are amazing pets, and very intelligent creatures.

The last thing that they, and the people who care about them need is more of a bad light cast on them. This is beyond ridiculous.
    I’m incredibly disappointed in Nat Geo for stooping to this level.

11. foxontherox
    July 31, 2011, 1:48 pm

This is very disappointing. Why can’t we have a show about how amazing and intelligent and affectionate and clean and… I could go on, but you see my point.

Rats don’t deserve any more negative press. Those of us who keep these wonderful animals as pets are all too well acquainted with how rats are perceived- they don’t need any more help being made out as dirty, evil creatures.

Please, NatGeo, let’s have a positive story about rats! All the other commenters here would surely agree with me: we would all watch the heck out of a show that portrayed domesticated rats as the sweet and gentle pets that they are.

(for the record, I envy the man with his head in a box full of rats- I bet he got an awful lot of kisses in there!)

12. E4sage
    July 31, 2011, 3:35 pm

this isn’t appealing @ all. y would i want to watch Rats that r all greased up to look like dirty liitle vermon when they r the cleanest animal on Earth i know of? dummies who can’t handle the idea of Rats>think of them as Sqirrels with funny tails, or unlike the Hampster, this animal is a lot happier & playful. i’m really disappointed in National Geographic’s depiction of Rats! ~~e4

13. amidratas
    July 31, 2011, 3:40 pm

Great, more stupid stories about how gross rats are. Why would you stoop so low AND use obviously domesticated rats in your little promo? Actually, here’s something gross. I hope they left raisins in your hair.

14. E4sage
    July 31, 2011, 3:45 pm

oh, & by the way, when i was a child between 9 & 11 yrs. old i played with Very Large NY Rats, Squirrels & Skunks>all Wild & naturally predisposed to play with another friendly being, (me). So other than Rats being the Cleanest animals on the Earth that i know of, & as Smart as they are, they are Very Friendly when approached in the same way.~~e4

15. DianneHammond
    July 31, 2011, 4:10 pm

I have had pet rats for 10 years. Other of my friends have had them for as long as 30 years.

Shame on you!!

These are the absolute perfect animal. They are gregarious, they are family oriented. They are clean. THEY ARE CLEANER THAN YOUR CHILDREN!!

They play
    They laugh
    They love
    They mourn loss
    They recover
    They are intuitive
    They feel pain

Recently when I lost my husband, the girls “knew” something was wrong, because he was not there anymore. Unfortunately, they were not able to have a “viewing” (as they do when one of their rattie friends passes).

I have watched a female waste away to nothing because of the loss of the man in her life.

These are not the disgusting creatures your portray. Even wild rats have all the feelings of domestic rats, they are just in the wild. The ONLY thing that makes city rats dirty is . . .WAIT FOR IT . . .
    PEOPLE!!!!
    These beautiful creatures feed on our waste in an effort to survive. So, guess who is the filthy one in this scenario?

Do the world a favor and do a positive store on these little animals and keep the disgusting part to yourselves.

Dianne H.
    Coeur d’Alene, Idaho

16. michellel
    July 31, 2011, 4:10 pm

I have to echo the above comments. This was in extremely poor taste, Dr. Barr. Perpetuating stereotypes is not something National Geographic does in print, so why on TV? I’m also interested in what happened to those rats (thanks for asking Ravensflight). If they are owned by someone, then I have to wonder why they would be used for a tacky commercial use such as this.

Two thumbs down, NatGeo. Way, way down.

17. HeidiB
    July 31, 2011, 4:17 pm

I am AMAZED and saddened that National Geographic would back a program like this. The trailer alone could give careless people bad ideas for a prank that could very easily bring harm to animals. For people like me, who keep rats as pets and adore them as much as I do my dogs and cats, this is truly insulting. Please PLEASE do not air a show depicting these sweet, loving, harmless creatures in a negative light! Instead, open your eyes, do a little research, and seek out all the readily-available rat Rescue groups from coast to coast. They have made huge strides in overcoming many people’s uneducated aversion to domestic rats as pets. Your show, or at least the way it is being presented here, may well serve to reinforce the way so many people view our beloved pets – as "disgusting" animals to be feared and hated. If you truly wish to support the lives of and tolerance for ALL animals, why go so low as to pick on these small, wonderful little rodents?? In my mind, it would quite potentially be akin to supporting animal abuse.

18. ratlover1
    July 31, 2011, 5:30 pm

After so many years of trying to spread the word about how wonderful, gentle, intelligent and just plain affectionate and comical to boot rats are, we get this.

How much better to have a show about all the wonderful qualities of rats, how great they are. Once you get to know rats, you very quickly become bonded to them. These qualities and more about these little guys makes you a fan for life.

The video clip with the man and the rats are domesticated rats so his point is lost.

Please spend your money on producng a positive view of rats; I think his point is redundant and old hat. We certainly need to shed a much more positive light on these wonderful animals.

19. Bananana
    July 31, 2011, 6:45 pm

My rat story:

My neighbors bought a pet rat. They thought their daughter would like to have a pet of her own. At first, the girl was excited about her new pet, but the newness of the pet wore off and the rat was neglected. The parents eventually decided to sell the rat at a garage sale. My mother happened to pass by, and she saw the rat sitting in its tiny cage in the hot sun. She had always been a little freaked out by rats (mostly because of their tails), but she couldn’t bear to see any animal suffer, so she paid our neighbor ten dollars to take the rat. Here’s where the story gets scary…

We named the little brown and white rat Clara, got her a couple rat friends to play with, and she was the best friend of a little girl for the rest of her natural ratty life. She slept curled up in a baby blanket in my arms, rode around on my shoulder with me wherever I went and even learned a few tricks like "spin" and "fetch."

You might be saying to yourself "that isn’t scary at all…" and to that I say "exactly." I’ve had many pet rats in my lifetime and I don’t have a single scary story to tell you. They are wonderful, intelligent, affectionate creatures. Personality-wise, they are a lot like dogs, only smarter and less smelly. Each of my rats know their names and will come to me when called. They have been trained to use a litter box. They enjoy grooming me and wrestling with my hands like kittens. They are meticulous about their own grooming and are cleaner than any other type of animal I’ve owned (including cats). They each have their own unique little personalities, but the one thing they all have in common is that they love human interaction. I can say without a doubt that these are very intelligent, very affectionate little animals who absolutely do not deserve the horrible reputation they have.

If you want to put together a really compelling collection of stories or articles, why not focus on an angle that *hasn’t* been done to death? Why not talk about how rats are amazingly adaptable and tough? Why not talk about the fact that rats are the ONLY non-primate animal proven to be capable of metacognition? That’s an amazing fact right there. That’s something that’s interesting. We don’t need more "ooh look – rats are so scary and gross" stories. That’s the journalistic equivalent of masturbation, and it doesn’t display a lot of skill or integrity on your part.

You have an opportunity to be a good journalist and attack the subject from a different angle. Perhaps you should try that approach. I’m sure there are many people with amazing rat stories to tell. For example, on of my rats, Rosy, was lost miles away from my house. We thought she was a goner, but three days later, we found her sitting on our doorstep when we went out to get the mail. She was dirty and a little thin, but overall she was totally okay. That little rat had braved the elements for three days a

20. nancycccslp
    July 31, 2011, 9:22 pm

Isn’t it telling that while you shout and scream and generally act like an idiot, the rats remain calm and curious?
    Here’s my horrible rat story; in general they only live 2-3 years. It’s heartbreaking to lose a friendly, social, clean, affectionate and easily trained pet after such a short time.
    I don’t have any other terrible stories. I have stories about Teddy Ratsevelt, who loved to cuddle with our Labrador Retriever and was addicted to the TV show "Cops." When he heard "Bad boy bad boy, whatcha gonna do?" he would trot off and climb up onto the couch to watch "his" show for half an hour. I have stories about Benny, a huge agouti rat who would nap on my head while I read and loved to lay on his back so I could scritch his tummy. I have stories about Chester, who would run to the front of his cage and BEG to be let out to cuddle.

If you know so much about animals, why do you not know anything about the wonderful relationships that humans can have with these "pocket dogs?"

21. kaysatterlee
    July 31, 2011, 11:58 pm

I have a terrifying rat story; my life is controlled by rats. 4 of them, to be more specific and I even named them.
    To be more serious, I love my ratly crew. I am new to the rat world, as I have only been owned by rats for about 9 months so far but they have changed my life so drastically. I came across my first two while in college. I’m not all that social and was becoming lonely and depressed. I had researched all about them and excitedly rescued two of them from becoming snake food. The love between us was instant and they filled my life with happiness and gave it purpose. As time has gone on, I have rescued two additional rattys and we have a pretty awesome routine going for us. I wake up everyday to my best friends and they greet me good morning. I receive rat kisses and, if I’m lucky, a nice grooming of my hair as they are extremely clean animals and often remind me that I should go take a shower. To portray them in such an insensitive and disgusting light is not only uneducated, but cruel. Have you any idea how much more abuse that would generate towards rats? I do. Everyday I am told, by people who have no clue, that my rats are disgusting and that I should get rid of them. My mother used to tell me that and when she got up the courage to give them a good scritch, she fell in love and is considering rescuing some rats herself! If you’re going to do a show, ask people who actually know about rats, not the ignorant people who have never had a ratly look at them with their goofy eyes and playfully give them a good lick on the nose. I really hope you change your mind. You would if you saw how amazing these creatures can be!
    Sincerely,
    Kay, Aristotle, Maximus, Zeno, and Ember.

22. MaryKarr
    August 1, 2011, 12:04 am

I too am very disappointed in National Geographic letting Mr. Brady do a story on Rats in a bad light. Fancy Rat owners from all around the globe have tried really hard to point out these rats as being loving and caring and very intelligent and here this man is trying to make them seem like the sewer rats you see in the slums and on docks. I do hope he makes sure to note the different species of rats and actually make a distinction about the wild genus versus the tame rat genus. Fancy rats are better pets for children than hamsters and mice. Mice are too fast and get away or can be accidentally injured and hamsters bite. Fancy rats are potty trainable, love people and can learn tricks. Fancy rats are clean and healthy. Please National Geographic – don’t let him do this negative story on rats. By the way – those "mean" rats in the box are Fancy rats and I bet none of them bit him. Even with what he put them through. Mary

23. GwenLindsey
    August 1, 2011, 4:15 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words: Please watch these two videos of snuggling with pet rats. If you watch them all the way to the end, you may perhaps reconsider the approach you are taking with this show: http://www.joinrats.com/SNUGGLING/Snuggling/11620137_8ZBJ4#819258032_gyagM-A-LB, and http://www.joinrats.com/SNUGGLING/Snuggling/11620137_8ZBJ4#925936467_Zs5wq-A-LB. There is simply too much good in pet rats, to distort their public image. Would you do a show on wild dogs, with the intent to diminish all dogs – in effect trashing domestic, pet dogs? Balance is so important. The video of these pet rats will surely melt your heart.

24. Lisa D & Rat-Nation
    August 2, 2011, 8:47 pm

Unbelievable that The National Geographhic would allow you to run such rubbish. And what loving pet owner of Pet Rats would allow you to use those beautiful Fancy rats as a opening for your dispicable story
    line to try & put rats in a bad light.

Well did you know that:
    Family Magazine ran a story about Fancy Rats being the Number One small pet to be owned by a small child. THEY GET IT, YOU DON’T.
    Well did you know that:
    Fancy Rats are used in Children’s Theraphy Centers in Hospitals They wear collars & vests that identify them as "Theraphy Dogs" The children that they help have Autism. THEY GET IT YOU DON’T.

Well did you know that:
    A Organization called HeroRats use & train Rats to save lives in other parts of this world everyday, research that one Mr. Brady. Why don’t you do a show on what the people & rats involved in this are doing to save lives every day. THEY GET IT YOU DON’T.

Well did you know that:
    I am a perfectly normal person, I am a wife, a mother, a Soccer Mom, a Adm. Mgr. in food service for schools, I am a Rat Rescuer, I run a Rat shelter, I volunteer at Animal shelters & of course a owner of beautiful,loving fancy rats & two Dogs who also love rats.

I GET IT YOU DON’T!

Lisa

25. Cigar
    August 2, 2011, 10:31 pm

I’m a proud foster parent for a rat rescue in Southern Ontario and this makes my blood boil. I have beautiful, loving fosters that look just like the DOMESTIC rats in your promo video

Domestic rats are affectionate, intelligent pets. They deserve a clean, enriching environment, a species specific diet, vet care, and lots of love.

My best pal was a rat and I refuse to share anything about him with you. I won’t disrespect his memory. He had a bigger heart than you ever will.

Thank for nothing, Nat Geo.

26. egrammer8
    August 3, 2011, 4:26 am

You know whats really sad about this? It just shows that Nat Geo is about the money as opposed to actually caring about the animals or informing people of the facts. Really dissappointing. Rats are the sweetest/smartest pets I have ever had. There are so many interesting things you could teach people about rats but you wanna continue the terrible stereotype that stops so many people from getting to know what an amazing animal they are. Truly unfortunate.

27. Ky
    August 3, 2011, 4:54 pm

I have an "infestation" of rats. If that is what you call being owned by 11 (soon to be 13) of these adorable loving little creatures. But I can tell you plenty of terrifying rat stories. Because it is unimaginable how terrifying it is to see one of your beloved little ratties undergoing surgery to save his or her life from a tumor or hardly sleeping at night wondering if your baby with a bad respiratory infection is going to make it through the night to greet you when you wake in the morning. Those are the subjects of my terrifying stories but something makes me think those wouldn’t interest the likes of you…

28. bbsjc
    August 3, 2011, 7:28 pm

I have nothing to add that hasn’t been said – except to include my voice in how objectionable and ignorant this "stunt" (let’s not even pretend it’s journalism) is. And I agree with whoever previously said it – I won’t share my precious rat memories with you, you’re not worthy and should be ashamed.

29. Gerald Rennie
    August 3, 2011, 10:09 pm

Isn’t it funny (or I should say disappointing) how rats are still being cast in a negative light. If you really want a great story about rats, may I interest you in a book I just happened to get published called The Rat Worshipper. I published it through iuniverse to be published as an ebook, as well as paperback, which should be coming out soon. I sent the final proofs of my book out today as a matter of fact. It is a wonderful story about my own amazing experiences with rats. If you want a good story, them read my book.

30. ozdi2003
    August 4, 2011, 1:51 am

I am pretty sure that what I have to say has already been said 10 fold but how could you……. domesticated rats make the most wonderful pets ever and to depict them in this manner is abhorrant. Yes we all understand that in the wild rat populations can become a problem, so why not use wild rats and his head in a box?
    As an owner of pet rats we are constantly dealing with the negative comments about how gross and dirty they are, when in fact the 6 rats we own at the moment are cleaner than the 1 mouse we had years ago. Get it right National Geographic

31. neeseypup
    August 4, 2011, 4:11 am

..yes, I am another of a long list of ‘educated’ rat lovers who totally disapproves of your ignorance and lack of understanding AND advertising it, only contributes to the others out there who are not at all educated on rodents. It’s people and segments like this that add to our already hard battle to dispell most of the ratty myths that go AGAINST them. Educate yourself before you spread even more bullcrap to the public. We don’t have to worry about ‘rat infestations’, we have to worry about ‘human stupidity infestations’..Re-think your ‘story’..

32. petprescriber
    August 5, 2011, 2:00 am

Ditto. I am very disappointed in the way you have portrayed domestic rats in your video. Sickening to say the least. No class, I won’t be watching.

33. MirandaSyam
    August 6, 2011, 1:10 am

aw………. dr. braddy… long time no see you… !

34. Templeton's Mom
    August 6, 2011, 8:14 pm

My little rat buddy, Templeton, was smarter than most of my friends. His favorite treat was Cheetos crunchy cheese puffs. He would always know I bought a bag and would jump on the couch to retrieve 11 puffs, (never 10 or 12, always 11) and take them to his secret hiding spot to eat.

Before I got Templeton from a pet store, I had never owned a rat. I just know I really liked these little cuties and since I was born in the Year of the Rat, I seemed to resonate with them. To this day, none of my subsequent pets have been smarter than Templeton…not my Siamese, nor any dog, not even Shepherds or Rottweilers.

It’s a huge character flaw that any human should mistreat a rat. In the photos of Brady Barr with the rats, it’s the rats who have all the class and intelligence!

35. ClaireFrancesLloyd
    August 7, 2011, 3:55 pm

I’ve had pet rats. Their extremely clean and rather clever. Their animals, not vermin.

36. PRRR - Perth Rat Rescue
    August 8, 2011, 12:41 am

Nat Geo and Mr Brady you have no idea how damaging this is to domestic rats in general. I run a registered not for profit rescue in Perth, Western Australia and have numerous stories i can tell you about people claiming to have a wild rat in their backyard for us to work out that the supposed wild rat is actually a pet rat that someone has dumped or lost. Rats found on the side of the road locked in their cages without food or water, rats nearly starved to death or dying from treatable ailments because the owners have lost interest in caring anymore. We have been rescuing for over 3 years and every single rat comes to us with a story and most of the time they are terrifying, terrifying because humans did this to THEM!!. I urge you to do a story on how rats have been used to find land mines, how you can train domestic rats to be litter trained, come to their name and do tricks. Rats are also ticklish, intelligent and cleaner than most other animals. Even their wild "cousins" have something to teach us humans. They look after their families, have very tight knit communities and females help care for each others young. I get that rats are not for everyone but to use domestic rats in that box is misleading to say the least. Those animals you have used are pets, not to be used as an advertising tool in making them seem like horrid, nasty vermin. Do some research, look into how you can help the domestic rats be better understood and stop using innocent creatures to earn you more money. The rescue rats would appreciate if someone would please help stop the cycle of neglect and start putting the actual facts out there about them.

37. shadycat
    August 13, 2011, 3:14 pm

For people who want a small animal for a pet even for children,I would recommend rats,sturdier and more social than mice,and not nearly as nasty as hamsters and gerbils can be,they are adaptable (they have to be in order to be around as long as they have been),they can be trained and even my CATS got along well with them.
    However,I think NG is referring to the wild rats that infest our homes,wharves,warehouses and do carry disease,really,only a really crazy person would have their head stuck in a box with wild rats,so yes use the obviously tame domestic rats.
    Maybe though to see someone actually put their head in a box with domestic rats can be positive,I mean really the rats look pretty relaxed,and maybe some who see this pic will realize that maybe the pet rats aren’t so bad.

38. Rachel1987
    August 26, 2011, 5:21 pm

It’s sad that National Geographic has so little to put into their programming that they’re starting to generalize to this extent. Domesticated rats aren’t in any way bad and, other than wild rats being destructive, they don’t hurt anyone either. I’m personally going to stop watching Nat Geo and I’m going to tell my friends and family to do the same if they have to stoop to this level.

39. Bunnerrrs
    August 26, 2011, 9:04 pm

LOLZ at those pet rats.

40. blenderpie
    August 26, 2011, 11:50 pm

I, among the many others, am extremely hurt that the creatures I love so dearly are going to have their already tarnished reputations darkened even further.

Because of people like you and those who agreed to produce and shoot this show, it is viewed as "appropriate" to dump, abuse, and neglect pet rats because they are "just a rat." I do not know how many stories I have heard about people not taking their rats to the vet because their family views them as disposable vermin. Your use of domesticated rats to add to the "fear" factor only cements this idea further into the public’s head.

ALL rats are intelligent, strongly social,and clean animals. WILD RATS have not been domesticated and do not know how to share these qualities with humans. That does not mean that they are gross or scary. They are amazing creatures that should be admired alongside other mammals of high intelligence such as primates, marine mammals, and elephants to name a few.

You exposing the "disgusting rats" will only expose how uncleanly the lives of humans are to allow their homes to collect enough garbage to hide and feed a nest of rats that are smart enough to go where the warmth and food is, just like any successful, adaptive animal would.

This show will lead to more abuse and more neglect the amazing domesticated rats that so many of us share our lives with.

41. ratlover89
    August 27, 2011, 3:21 am

You should see my infestation of rats! There are, as far as I know, three rats living in my house! They’re SO AWFUL. All they do is groom each other, chow down on some food occasionally, and give me kisses.

Vermin, I tell you! Vermin!

42. Sailorgrrl
    August 27, 2011, 6:42 pm

LOL Templeton’s Mom! I have three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and my rats are smarter than all of them put together!

Isn’t it odd that there are five pages in SUPPORT of a show that researches the amazing and wonderful creatures that rats are? Dr. Brady, why don’t you show some originality and some backbone and DO it? If you really love animals, as you profess, then you should be doing things to try to encourage people to perceive animals in a positive light, large AND small, so they won’t be so prone to neglect, torture and kill them.

43. cinemageek
    August 27, 2011, 10:25 pm

The "Nasty, scary rats! Ooooooh look at how gross they are!" show has been done x1000. Why not take the advice of the other people commenting and run a show about the amazing abilities of rats? Not just wild rats (both norvegicus and rattus), but domesticated rats, Gambian pouched rats, kangaroo rats, etc. A little showcase of all the cool stuff about each type of rat! Educating people instead of trying to gross them out seems like it would make a great show that fits in better with what I *thought* National Geographic was all about.

44. Hippidy
    August 28, 2011, 5:06 am

Here’s a scary story… In some countries there are land mines killing innocent villagers. It’s truly very tragic and I can’t imagine living my life in fear of going out to get water and walking over a land mine. There are something called Hero rats. These villages owe their lives to these rats, they sniff out the mines so that they can be removed. Many people owe their lives to these amazing creatures. The very same animals that you’re trying to ostracize.

I have been owned by rats for 4 years and I owe my life to them. They have been there for me when people weren’t. unconditional love and loyalty is what they are.

45. strangeduck
    August 28, 2011, 5:38 am

Nat Geo…I’m so disappointed. There have been zillions of "ooh scary rats" stories, and you think it’s clever to get a bunch of domesticated rats, put ‘em in a box and talk about how dirty wild rats are? Do your research.

46. Iheartrats
    August 28, 2011, 6:32 am

So very disappointed in National Geographic. I’ve been a reader and watcher for years and I am shocked that a story like this is being supported. I am another devout rat lover and rescuer and to see them deemed (again) in a negative light is heartbreaking. Clearly those are domestic rats shoved into the box with Brady and they have obviously been greased up and made to look dirty when in reality they are anything but! Rats are one of the cleanist pets you can own, they are affectionate, social, extremely intelligent, and form real bonds with their humans. I mean really, you didn’t even try to get rats that have the wild "agouti" color for your promo. Did you even attempt to do any research?? I would hope that Nat Geo will not continue to support such a story; maybe take one of the spin-offs that other posters have suggested. That might give you a little more originality, eh?

47. tangerinefight
    August 29, 2011, 6:30 pm

What the hell is the matter with the people responsible for this? I grew up reading national geographic magazines, and watching your documentaries, and hoping that one day I could get a job as a wildlife photographer with this company, because of the way you portray animals and the importance of treating them and the environment with care. I’ve always seen this company portray animals in only a positive light, and now this? "Creepy crawly"? Tell that to Luca, one of my four pet rats, who loves nothing more than cuddling and giving kisses. Tell that to Mishka, who will stand up on his hind legs and wave his paws at me, exactly like a small child, when he wants to be picked up.

Rats get enough negative attention as it is, particularly now with the article about a gambian pouched rat getting stabbed with a pitchfork in what I think was NY. Rats are intelligent, clean, sweet and loving creatures just like any other domesticated animal and not only is it insulting (and harmful – this attitude about rats being nasty reflects ON US, as rat owners, other people treat us like crap!) to rat owners to go around spewing nonsense like this, it doesn’t make sense. Rats are as legitimate of pets as dogs or cats and deserve to get the same type of attention after being domesticated for centuries.

Not to mention the glaring hypocrisy of using DOMESTICATED rats in your video. It was in a National Geographic article, ironically, that I read that all types of domesticated animals have colorful/piebald coats because that is how breeders have domesticated them – by choosing the most docile, and prettiest, ones. The rats in the video would never blend in if they were in the wild, and I just hope that your readers who don’t have them as pets will recognize that.

I’ll also be sending you an email. I am SO disappointed.

48. GhostMouse
    August 29, 2011, 8:01 pm

I’ve got two very sweet young rats in my house. They’re full of energy and love to play with me. Every time I walk in the room, they run to the side of their cage to look at me, and if I don’t let them out, they’ll climb the walls to get as close to me as possible. I’ve also just adopted an older rat, who’s one of the sweetest animals I’ve ever known. He loves being scratched behind the ears, and if you scratch his back, he’ll lick your arm and groom you right back. Even though he’s older, he still loves to play-wrestle, and he hops around with excitement whenever I reach in his cage.

I thought National Geographic was a scientific publication and I’m very disappointed to see such a cheap, tabloid-level article.

49. KristineS
    August 29, 2011, 11:45 pm

I have 6 pet rats and they are the sweetest, most loving pets I’ve ever had! The only infestation I have is of ignorant people like you, Dr Barr!

50. rattles
    August 30, 2011, 4:11 pm

My rat story:

I got a male rat I named Willard when I was 16 years old. He was the best pet I’ve ever owned. He was potty trained, responded to his name and was extremely clean and playful.

The only downside to rats is that they don’t live long enough, even though you bond with them so quickly.

I’m so happy to see so many people in favor of rats, even if this article is so disgraceful to these wonderful animals.

51. MadonnaRobinson
    August 31, 2011, 8:50 pm

Please get back to reporting on factual stories, I expect quality from National Geographic, Not this misinformation on a wonderful animal.

52. hiliary
    September 1, 2011, 2:43 am

Here is a horror story for you: anytime I go into my bathroom, I am attacked by 8 rats. Can you believe that they will climb up my legs just for attention and cuddles? They even lick my face, the nerve of those nasty rats! But on a more serious note, due to the ignorance of people like you, I had a $400 vet bill. My thisbe (which means lover by the way) was saved from a bad pet store that didn’t have a clue on how to care forthem. She was pregnant and lost her litter. She developed pyometra and had to be spayed. By some sort of miracle, she made it through her 5 hour surgery. All of this could have been prevented had the pet store been educated or even cared about the animals they were selling as pets to seperate the sexes. As for calling yourself a doctor, you never hear people doctors discriminating against children with autism. Instead of them calling these children freak and asking other people for their horror stories about them, they educate people that don’t have autistic children. Maybe you should think about that and instead of degrading rats as pets, you should inform other people about why we love our rats so much.

53. Natalie Jones
    September 2, 2011, 1:35 am

I’m deeply disappointed in Nat Geo. After years of having an awesome reputation and advocating for animals, doing a show about the "horrors" of rats is completely insulting. My home is currently also home to 4 RESCUE rats. That’s right, rescue. Because they matter, just like cats and dogs. Mine are currently in the process of becoming Delta Society certified as Therapy animals. Why don’t you run a story on that? Or on the rescues and the people who dedicate their lives to them? Or the extraordinary rats who sniff out bombs, or diseases? Been an advocate, instead of setting back generations of work by loving rat owners who know that our rats are sweet, affectionate, INTELLIGENT, loving creatures as much as any dog or cat. At the very least don’t ruin all our hard work.

54. Bunnyfoo
    September 9, 2011, 9:44 am

Here is a scary story about rats that happened to me recently:

I visited my favorite website only to find that a show is being produced only to cast fear and hate onto a species of animal that happens to be a very intelligent animal which gets a lot of bad press that it does not need.

I am appalled by this show, National Geographic. For an organization dedicated to "educating" the public about the world & the life in it, you are making a mockery of yourself with this show! When did you stop being a good educator and became a poor cheap-thrill provider?

I know pet and wild rats are not the same, and I’m not sure which you are portraying in this video (assuming wild), but you are doing NO justice to PET or WILD rats with this show! You clearly show pet rats in this video, which happen to be extremely caring, intelligent, clean animals. Wild rats are also the same. They are not dirty, disease-carrying killing machines that go for the throat. Infestations of rats can be taken care of easily and humanely; we DON’T need to add to our list of people who don’t care about using inhumane practices like glue traps because YOU are causing them to HATE AND FEAR them!

This is more negative press that rats – pet or wild- DO NOT NEED! This situation reminds me of all that bad press pit bull-type dogs receive because of all the hate and ignorance directed at them.

I am CANCELING my subscription to National Geographic, and am encouraging all my acquaintances to do the same until this show is halted! I will not support this kind of disservice for wild rats, pet rats, or their owners.

55. zanblack
    September 11, 2011, 7:08 pm

Awww! I call the big blue/white one in the top right corner! What a cutie!

…Your show idea is pathetic, unoriginal, and just downright low.

-RAT LOVE FOREVER!

56. cschmidt33
    September 25, 2011, 2:22 am

Wow! This is soooo heartbreaking. Ratties have the worst reputation which always amazes me. Ive had ratties for about 12 years now and can’t imagine life without them. They are amazing companions and family members. The sweetest, most cuddliest fuzzy butts with unique personalities that give so much love and kisses in their short lives. Sigh. Shame on you for encouraging the negative stereotypes knowing damn well you have domesticated cuddley rats in that box. Why not make a show educating the public on how amazing these little guys are as I am positive you could find a hoard of rattie lovers willing to share their stories of all the special babies that have touched their life.

And cheers to the rat community for sticking up for our cutie pies!

57. Ranjitha Janardhan
    September 28, 2011, 9:34 am

Hello Dr. Brady,

Here is my rat story:

Perhaps a literary revolution in theatrically uplifted circles, but around my house Kitchen Sink drama is a dramatic, episodic human-to-mice non-verbal sign communication. With our flying mops, poking brooms and regular shrieks at high volumes at the slightest sight of them, we hoped to make it very clear to the family of mice that took shelter behind our kitchen sink to graciously leave. With their constant rummaging through the things behind our sink, and knocking our spice bottles off the counter each night, it was understood by us that they were here to stay. And among the schemes discussed to boot these noisy occupants, were poisoning and bringing in their commonly believed natural arch enemy – the easiest of them all felines, a cat. But these remained schemes for well over a week, as we waited for the weekend, misguiding them to assume that peace was declared from our end. On the seventh day, the lack of food in the kitchen (as now we kept our supplies in the dining space) sent the mice hungry. One among us pointed that out to us while the sounds from the kitchen grew louder as these rodents had to search, more than usual, for scraps of food. That was when a brave one among them decided that if his family went hungry, so will the others in whose house he had adamantly decided to raise and secure his family. Though scary, these sounds made us curious enough to open our kitchen door and switch the lights on. In retaliation, they stopped their common occupation of sound making. We needed time to plan our next move. They waited in patience ready for anything that was to come. After careful consideration, we decided to open all windows and bang on the walls around the sink to drive this now happy now hungry family out. That’s when our kitchen sink drama’s plot gained momentum.

You see, the windows to our independence and their exodus lies behind the kitchen sink. And given the situation, it had to be approached not in the straight- walk-past-the-sink-way, but the jump-on-the-kitchen-counter-and-stretch-self-across-over-sink-way. And the lesser scared of the two, I equipped to slide open the window with a mop (the rod side front) jumped on the slab on the counter, inched my way around the slippery sink, and just about touched the pane with the rod end of my mop. That’s when they launched their ultimate weapon – their visibility to humans. They provided me with a complete sight of their self, while I balanced on my toes. My reflexes instigated action and I and mop and all had a mighty fall from the slippery kitchen slab to the greasy kitchen floor, knees down, eyes open to see the floor nearing, as gravity did its best. With that for a temporary climax, I am now tending sore knees and planning a revenge, swearing. The bloody colonizers sound celebratory. Perhaps, now, I cant judge the inventor of pesticides. Also perhaps, its just another day at the office for every mouse in a human’s house.
    -Ranjitha Jan

58. Stephanie
    Texas
    November 23, 2012, 2:35 am

Sir I am very disappointed. I have had two pet rats in my lifetime, and have had friends that owned rats, and for you to do a program that makes them out to be little dirty vermin is awful! You need to make it clear that domesticated rats, and wild rats are two separate branches of the same species.
    My rats were/are my dearest friends and companions…cleaner than my cat, smarter than my dog, more loving than most humans I know.
    After a long hard day at work, with upset people on the phone yelling at me, I know I can go home and will be greeted by a sweet inquisitive face, and by the time I sit down to rest my tired self, long after my dog tires of me, my rat will still be with me, cuddled in my shirt, next to my heart, making his sweet bruxing sound to let me know he loves me. To see you pushing stories that make rats look like monsters and pests, really breaks my heart. I expect more from a national scientific leader like National Geographic. These stereotypes have led to personal harm in my life, the daughter of a very dear friend of mine, was simply out in her yard playing with her rat, when cruel neighbors hood children saw her, and started screaming “Rat girl! rat girl!” and then “Kill the rat!” they threw rocks at her, injuring her eye, and unfortunately killing her rat! she refuses to have any more pets, and has no friends at school now. She is traumatized for life.
    Please sir, all I ask is that you present both sides of the story, and along with tales of infestation, please also present good stories of the love of rats for their owners, and the pride some breeders take in actually showing their rats for ribbons. Another fact, well to do victorian ladies thought it a status symbol to own a “Fancy Rat”

59. mya
    2 of dramara street ormeau road
    April 12, 5:44 am

I saw your lab on the site animal jam and i want you to go and explore africa and explore new animals.I think your adventure of that snake was amazing.(. (.