blog post photo

Tonight, Jeremy Khinoo will be tweeting live along with the premiere of his episode of Locked Up Abroad: Mexico Money Machine. In the meantime, check out some our most pressing questions… and get ready to ask your own tonight.

What was your first year out of prison like?
My first year out of prison went pretty well. Of course I was incredibly happy to be out of Mexican prison. I moved in with my grandmother and was on probation for 2 years. I started working for my dad after a week of being out, so that kept me busy. I also had to go through the whole court process of getting custody of my daughter again, that took nine months in order to get to see her again after three years. The relationship with my daughter is still building and growing stronger and I don’t take a moment of it for granite.

Have you traveled back to Mexico since you were locked up abroad?
No! Never again!

Are you still friends with the guys from the gym, Stephanie or Jose?
No, I am not friends with any of them. I have spoken to Stephanie, but that was years ago.

Do you know if your experience in Mexico has prevented your gym friends from continuing their illegal trips across the border?
I’m not sure about that one. As far as I know, none of them are going down there anymore.

How is your relationship with your family now? Did the filming of the show help you deal with any regret/guilt?
My relationship with my family is great, it’s never been better. The filming of the show didn’t really help me deal with any regret or guilt. Do remember that it has been 11 years since all of this has happened and I have already dealt with all of that, which was a tremendous amount of guilt. It took some time and a lot of counseling to deal with everything that had happened, and I think there will always be some guilt of hurting my family and daughter. The reason for doing the show was to let other people know that doing the wrong thing never works out and that you will eventually get caught. And also to show people that it is possible to get clean from drugs.

For the rest of the interview, click here. And here’s a sneak peak from tonight’s episode:

Comments

1. kuehnlenzm2
    June 23, 2011, 3:06 am

I want to know what happened to Jose, his next door neighbor that got arrested with him in mexico.

2. micheleq18
    June 23, 2011, 3:22 am

I am also curious about what happened to Jose. I can’t believe he was never mentioned again in the broadcast.

3. peggyap
    June 23, 2011, 3:32 am

I’m surprised the show never mentioned how long Jose was in prison. I want to know what happened to him, as the show left us wondering.

4. micheleq18
    June 23, 2011, 3:53 am

Jeremy, I thought you were live tweeting tonight. Please don’t leave us hanging about Jose’s fate. I’m happy you made it out alive and are back in the US to tell the tale but to close the story we need to know what happened to Jose. I’m sure you understand.

5. gataluna@sbcglobal.net
    June 24, 2011, 6:56 pm

Seriously! Did Jose get killed? Did he ever return to the US? WHAT HAPPENED TO JOSE???

6. ballen03
    June 26, 2011, 9:41 am

I’ve never posted a comment about any show in my life, but i was so infuriated by this selfish, lazy, self-loathing loser – Jeremy – I need to vent. Not once does he mention any remorse for screwing over Jose. Yes, i get it, Jose made his own choice to go there, but he had no way of knowing he would get taken out because d-bag Jeremy tried ripping off some poor Mexican kid and his family at a roadside shack. This guy already ripped off several pharmacy’s for over $10k of drugs; he could have stopped there and sold his roids/opiates for $40k pure profit in CA, but he’s too cheap to even fork out $20 for gas money home, so he tries stealing from a 13-year-old kid whose family likely scrapes by selling a few packs of cigs a week! Wow! You’d think the close call in TJ would wisen this donk up, but no, he keeps going til he ensures he gets everyone caught up. Furthermore, until recently, as long as you aren’t a complete moron, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get arrested in Mexico. Just bring $100 extra for the cops (or less usually), and they let you go! But this guy was so self-consumed with being a tool, he figured a few bucks is too much to risk. I truly feel bad for Jose, Jeremy’s daughter, his family, and anyone else who crossed paths with this schmuck.

7. annie.d44
    June 27, 2011, 2:05 am

we are dying to know… our family just watched this episode and need to know: what happened to Jose? please respond :)

8. 'DallanDoow
    June 30, 2011, 5:23 am

Please someone What happened to Jose???? Someone at NGC must know what happened to the guy… That question had to come up.

9. turlock3488
    June 30, 2011, 10:22 am

"Jose" is alright and back in the U.S.

10. HansOtto
    July 2, 2011, 9:49 am

absolutely amazing. i love this article!

11. HWY HNTR
    July 4, 2011, 11:54 am

I’m glad to hear "Jose" made it back safe. For those of you bashing Jeremy for this, the kid got himself into the mess and even contributed to it as well. Dont blame him for the greed. One thing is for certain, it was weird watching this with my husband and saying "OMG I went to High School with him!"

ballen03, dont be a hater, he learned his lesson and made a better life for himself out of it. Sometimes thats what it takes. At least hes not a bum or killed someone.

12. limboman
    July 8, 2011, 3:56 am

I agree with Ballen03. One minute they are both thrown into a Mexican Prison and the next minute it’s all about Jeremy and nothing about Jose! If they were thrown into prison together, he should have been watching Jose’s back! Looks like he was looking out for number one only! All Jose was, was an interpreter so Jeremy could get his steroids. They dodged one bullet in Tijuana. Maybe that was an omen? How long was Jose left in prison. Did Jeremy’s family try to get him out as well, or did they leave the Mexican-American to fend for himself?

13. MarkH
    The Netherlands
    February 21, 2012, 8:26 pm

This show just got broadcast on National Geographic here in the Netherlands. I can’t believe how the director of this documentary could have just cut out “Jose’s” fate, it’s unbelievable! The entire documentary was good, but HOW can anyone NOT wonder about “Jose’s” fate after watching this? And who is turlock3488 to say that “Jose” is ‘alright’? Who is he/she and why do you instanly believe him/her when answering the one question you are all eager to have answered? Why can his/her answer even satisfy you? Where is National Geographic when questions are asked? I would trust and appreciate their answer a lot more then one “turlock3488’s” “Jose” is alright and back in the U.S.”.

Jeremy, your biggest mistake was not commiting the crime itself, but involving innocent people in your criminal intentions. I must say you got away with this very well, I just hope Jose got away without being stabbed, raped or anything worse…

With kind regards

Mark

14. Chencho
    May 6, 2012, 7:34 pm

Throught the ending all I kept wondering was what happened to jose. Why did they leave us hanging? Poor guy.

15. Mark30339
    May 15, 2012, 9:34 pm

The show was compelling. Thanks turlock3488 for the “Jose” update. I wonder if the US statute of limitations passed on printing counterfeit currency — I’m not sure I would volunteer that information otherwise. Also, the heroin access and addiction and recovery was not explained. The show says Jeremy has been clean since 2006, but didn’t Jeremy leave prison earlier than 2006? And why was Jeremy arrested in Mexico for having controlled substances (as well as passing fake currency), I thought his pharmacy purchases were legal to posses in Mexico?

16. Daniel
    Australia
    October 26, 2012, 9:25 am

Seriously what the hell happened to Jose? Leaving that little detail out really spoiled a pretty cool doco.

17. bubs
    ontario
    January 28, 2013, 12:22 am

ballen03 got it right. this jeremy guy was extremely selfish. He should have asked his family to get jose out first, not himself.

Im surprised that NGC would leave out what happened to the kid and from the comments i see here it seems like i’m not the only one.

what happened to Jose!!??

18. Golly
    U.K
    August 15, 2013, 11:59 am

Just watched this in U.K and I want to know for sure what happened to Jose, it does say anything at the end. Turlock3348 how do know what happened to him.

19. Arnice Jones
    January 5, 2:36 am

It’s 2014 and I still haven’t seen anything on the net that tells of Jose’s fate. THE FOLLOWING IS MY OWN SPECULATION: I’m fearful that Jose died in prison likely a violent death and Jeremy (and NatGeo) think it too ugly to mention. God that would be awful. Of all involved, I had the most empathy for Jose.

20. James
    Australia
    January 28, 6:21 am

This is very disturbing. There has been no official response as to what happened to Jose. If Jose got out OK, I am sure the show would have mentioned it. The fact they didn’t say anything, hoping viewers would not remember is terrible.

The very fact that Jeremy himself has not made a simple statement like “Jose is fine, he was released after X amount of time” is pretty much the answer to everyone’s question of “is Jose OK?”.

Disgusting.

21. Valerie
    Canada
    February 13, 3:38 pm

I really like this show but it really erred in not mentioning what happened to Jose and actually spoiled it. Obviously I am not the only one thinking that and I would really like to know what happened to him.

22. Mohamed
    Tunisia
    February 23, 5:10 pm

Well, I love the show but this episode was disgraceful. I’m really wondering why the makers did not mention anything about Jose after he was jailed and I don’t think Jeremy has to be blamed for that.

23. DMD_MD
    Mia
    March 16, 5:13 pm

I was absolutely furious when the show ended without any mention at all of Jose. The last mention of him was when they were both thrown in prison doing lines of Meth. That’s it… Now Jeremy did say he saw SEVERAL people murdered and stabbed to death which leads me to believe Jose was one of them. Since they refuse to mention ANYTHING about his status. I Iove this show buy couldn’t be more disappointed that someone involved who was pulled into a horrible situation could be ignored.

Thumbs Down NatGeo very disappointed.

24. Gc
    September 20, 6:11 pm

What happened to Jose??!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?