Sticky Paws


blog post photo
By Michelle Pollino, Producer My Dog Ate What
My Dog Ate What: Glass, Glue, and Rocks airs Wednesday September 8 at 10P et/pt on Nat Geo Wild.

I did some research on what exactly makes the polyurethane glue that Fred ate different from all of the rest.  I discovered that this glue is a household glue, containing the chemical compound diphenylmethane diisocyanate.  When the glue is applied, it will expand to 3-4 times its original volume.  That is, when it’s applied to anything from table legs to stomachs. 

I wanted to see this for myself.  So I performed an experiment to witness this expansion.  I bought some hydrochloric acid tablets, crushed them in water and applied the polyurethane glue and left it on my desk on a Friday evening.  When I returned the following Monday, I was amazed!  The glue had expanded to 4 times its size. It turned into a hard foam ball, reminiscent of a plastic Styrofoam Christmas ball. 

This is exactly what it does inside of your dog.  But they can still put “non-toxic” on the label because it doesn’t poison your dog. Besides Gorilla Glue, Elmer’s Probond glue uses this type of chemical configuration. 

I think the hardest part of using glue as a consumer is feeling safe when purchasing it.  So you check the label to make sure it’s safe for animals but in this instance, you really can’t be sure when it says “non-toxic.” 

It can still unfortunately be fatally harmful to your pet.  And diphenylmethane diisocyanate may not be listed on the label of all polyurethane expandable products.

Products that contain expandable polyurethane adhesives should contain a warning that even if a small amount of the glue is ingested, it has the potential for very expansive results and even cause gastric foreign body obstruction. 

Video preview: Lola’s got a strange appetite for socks, underwear, chocolate brownies, and broken glass.