blog post photo

Photo credit: Moody McCall, DVM

Bullwinkle the Moose first appeared as a cartoon character on Rocky and His Friends in 1959 and got his own gig –The Bullwinkle Show – by the end of that year. Toy figures inevitably followed, snatched up by millions of Bullwinkle-loving fans around the globe. But what happened to this dog when he decided to make Bullwinkle a meal? 

Moody McCall, DVM of San Pablo Animal Hospital shared this fascinating tale with me: “the dog was playing with Bullwinkle and then just swallowed him. The owner called the hospital and asked how to induce vomiting… He was pouring mineral oil and salt down the dog’s throat and he would not vomit. I told him that it was too large an object to come out of the dog’s body that way.”

blog post photo

Photo credit: Moody McCall, DVM

In the X-ray above, the dog’s lungs are not as dark as the X-ray itself – the dog had inhaled some of the mineral oil into his lungs. Dr. McCall had to perform surgery to removed Bullwinkle and then worried about pneumonia. “But the dog did fine,” he told me, “Bullwinkle now sits in my office. If you look closely you can see that Bullwinkle only had one antler, and one arm was chewed off.”

Hear more intriguing tales about objects dogs have swallowed and the lengths it took to save their lives on Nat Geo WILD’s new series My Dog Ate What? which airs on Mondays at 10P et/pt.