Vet Haters

blog post photo

Name: Daisy Mae, Mobster, Tank
Breed: Terrier Mix, Shih Tzu, Rottweiler
Age: 10 years old, 11 years old, 2 years old

ABOUT THE DOGS:
Daisy Mae has epilepsy and was diagnosed when she was about 2 years old, but she has always been aggressive and fearful of vets.

Mobster is very aggressive toward most people, especially Dr. Garcia. Mobster actually chases Dr. Garcia out of the house. He is also missing an eye.

Tank is terrified of Dr. Garcia and being examined. Tank is extremely strong, so it’s been impossible for Lizette and Dr. Garcia to handle him. His former vet asked the owners to never bring him back.

ABOUT THE DOCTOR:
Dr. Rick Garcia’s love for animals is what motivated his veterinary career. He has studied the veterinary sciences everywhere from Florida to England, and he is a Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. He finally made it to Los Angeles where he amassed some celebrity clientele. Dr. Rick also has three dogs of his own: Dela, Koda, and Bodie, all of which are rescues.

BEHIND THE SCENES:
Dr. Garcia isn’t just limited to dogs and cats. He lists a menagerie of animals as patients, including a variety of tortoises, iguanas, bearded dragons, macaws, cockatoos, pigs, goats, sheep, and even fish!

Watch all-new episodes of the Dog Whisperer, Fridays 9P et/pt!

Comments

1. noahsarktoday
    November 2, 2010, 5:14 am

Sounds like a handful, glad they qualified to see Cesar.
    In addition to training have you tried supplements, even for a short while? I had really good luck with our boxer over stressful holidays when I added a calming vitamin to his food for a few days (of course we also added walks too). It seemed to help him and the humans get through a rough socialization period, now he’s really good with my nephew without the supplement.

2. advice1117
    November 8, 2010, 11:25 pm

My dog is also quite nervous about going to the vet or the groomer. Have you tried visiting the vet and not even going in, just going to the actual location? Then give the dog a treat. The dog would start to get over his fears, at least with going to the actual location.

Find the best juicers here juicers here.

3. Laura1
    November 11, 2010, 12:28 am

I agree with this comment also. That is what I did with my Yorkshire Terrier. She could not stand going to the Vet. she got sick every time she had to go. So I took her there to the parking lot a few times and did not go in just got out and walked around and then got out of there, she loved me after that. That is the fun part about training yorkshire terriers . I have 3 of them and would not take anything for them. So if you have one and trying to train them just take time with them this works.

4. bazsmith
    November 23, 2010, 5:18 am

My Golden Retriever totally loves my vet and the vet loves him. Sometimes I think The dog pretends to be sick so he can get to seethe vet. As a nice touch, the vet sometimes stops in on the way home just to say hello to us.

your anchor text here

5. bambinka
    February 1, 2011, 8:29 pm

Thank you advice1117! I think i will do the same with my Terrier when we’ll visit vet next time! I hope walking will help us! :)

6. karenj.j@hotmail.com
    February 12, 2011, 1:59 am

Today we took our 50 pound English Bulldog to a new vet in a new location. Before we even parked the car, she began to demonstrate anxiety, the same behavior she exhibited for the past five years in the state where we formerly lived. She jumps from back to front in the truck and whines like a baby, and continues to whine and struggle in the vet’s office.

7. Mia35
    May 1, 2011, 6:45 am

I knew a dog that was afraid to go to the vet, but it’s owner began relating the vet with positive outcomes. Similar to some of the comments listed here, they would walk around the building and just play for awhile before going inside, then of course there where plenty of treats offered once inside. This particular dog soon got over her fears and started looking forward to the good things that would come out of the visit. poodle mixes

8. dog diva
    May 28, 2011, 12:37 pm

If you think about it, most dogs only go to the vet when something is going to be done to them: shots, exams, being handled by strangers. So, if you can make "deposits" in the "bank" of positive experiences, that’s a great way to see that your dog isn’t as scared of the visits – go to the vet when you don’t need to, walk in and get a cookie and walk out. If you do that fifty times, and there’s only one time when the dog gets a rabies shot, you will probably be forgiven LOL. However, our OP says that the dog was diagnosed with a disorder that forced him to undergo treatment at an early age, and probably there was no time to build up the bank so to speak. It isn’t too late. Start now, and just keep doing it. You may not make things perfect but they can get better. Also, try visiting the fearful dogs site for more on how to deal with fear in general.